Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Gonzo420West

2x12 cab for mesa roadster

Hey everyone. After all the amp advice i ended up swingin a deal on a mesa roadster head for $1000 cdn. Seemed like a good deal.

I am wondering now about opinions on 2x12 cabs for it. This would be my first head/cab mix as all my other amps are combos.

Any suggestions on a cab that would pair up nicely with this?

or should i guy find a box and just swap some new speakers in it etc.

i found a good deal on a blackstar HTV 212 for 150$ think it has the celestion seventy 80s but not sure. Would this match up alright?
Gonzo420West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

70/80s are pretty mediocre. though if you get it cheap enough (and the cabinet is well-made and plywood), why not?

haven't tried a roadster, but i'm guessing it sounds broadly similar to a roadking. a lot of people run vintage 30s with mesas.

I've been mixing and matching a lot of speakers recently and I like doing that. if it's a stereo cab it means you can run through both speakers together or either alone, so you can get three different tones out of the same cab. You have to keep the wattage of the speakers in mind when running them alone, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Gonzo420West

Have you heard a G12k-100 a buddy told me that should sound ok. Wondering if they sell a cab that has that loaded in it already. How would you find that out?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ no

I probably wouldn't buy that Blackstar cab.

What is your budget, location and style of music?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that's one of the few modern celestions i haven't tried It's meant to (I think) have a very modern and deep tone. it's meant to pair well with a v30. Whether it'd be too much on the low end with a mesa, I don't know. Mesas sound pretty deep even with v30s!

It is meant to be a good speaker, though. Not aware of any 2x12s that come with them stock, though. You could always go with avatar or similar, of course, and get whatever speakers you want. Or else get a cheaper (plywood) 2x12 with cheap speakers and rip them out and put in whatever you like.

EDIT: if you can answer what 311 asked that'd help, too

Quote:

Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Gonzo420West

bands like -> Pantera, metallica, CKY, three days grace, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, tool, Bullet for my valentine to name few bands.

Budget would be around $600 Im in Grande Prairie, Alberta Edmonton is the closest but we have a long and mcquade and music center
Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

you could find a 2x12 Mesa Recto cab used for $600 no probs
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah ok, the g12k100 and v30 combo might work for that (but as i said, i haven't tried it)

all depends on if it suits the mesa.

Quote:

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
icronic

http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/msg/3246435356.html

Roadster cabinet in Edmonton for $400

YMMV but I don't care for G12k100 combined with Mesa amps. It's a fairly bottom heavy speaker, and combine that with an amp that already has an epic megaton of fairly loose bottom and what you'll end up with is a lot of mud.

Otherwise, Orange cabs sound good, or one of the small Rectifier 2x12s... The Road King 2x12 is kind of interesting since it's a V30 and a C90 half open back, but not everyones cup of tea. Avatar makes some good stuff as well...
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
DarthV

11-12hr round trip to save $200 on a brand new 212 rectifier cab?

TS, if you have a L&M in town, why not 'rent' a few cabs and try them out. Don't they have 30 day returns for most of their gear (non special order)?
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
LaidBack
Call me Mike

You can also look into Avatar cabs. I'm pretty sure that they ship to Canada. I've got a Contemporary 2x12 that I loaded up with and Eminence Swamp Thang/Texas Heat combo. Love it with my Mesa F-50.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Gonzo420West

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Hopefully I can make it to L&M before close tomorrow to try something out. Renting is a good idea too you guys rock
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Van Noord
Deactivated

Order a custom Voltage cab from Steamco Music in Wpg. and Steve will ship it to you.
http://www.voltageamps.ca/Voltage_G...ets/VB_212.html

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
that's one of the few modern celestions i haven't tried It's meant to (I think) have a very modern and deep tone. it's meant to pair well with a v30. Whether it'd be too much on the low end with a mesa, I don't know. Mesas sound pretty deep even with v30s!

Agreed! The G12K100s work well with bright amps/preamps. I liked them with the VH100R before I swapped the preamps with the darker Tungsram, or was it RFT? Also, the G12K100 X V30 tends to make the overall tone sound too smooth. The growl/snarl gets lost.

Mesas love V30s and work extremely well with my Orange PPC412.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

IMO for metal the K0100's are the best speakers made by Celestion. i have eight of the K85's which were Brittish and are identical to K100's, they just changed the RMS rating.

i use a 4x12" that they came in (early 90's peavey cab IIRC?) with the sig:x and it kills, than i have two mixed with V30's in cab for the splawn and two mixed in a Mesa cab with V30's.

they are heavier and bassier on the low end in comparison to a V30. you still get a little mid spike but it is more toward the lower mid department, but still cuts through amazingly.

they are great alone or with V30's or even wihth T75's.

the only cabs that they come in are older peavey cabs (like mine) and the Marshall Mode 4 cab has a quad of them.

i swear by them.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Noord
Order a custom Voltage cab from Steamco Music in Wpg. and Steve will ship it to you.
http://www.voltageamps.ca/Voltage_G...ets/VB_212.html

These look nice. One with two WGS Vet 30's would be pretty sweet. And it's within budget ..... good one.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
ikey_

WOW. WOW!!!!

thats the best deal in cabs ive seen yet. that might take avatar. they have far more configurations, come loaded with WGS speakers, and seem to be built every bit as sturdy or better than avatar.

my avatar ended up a bit more pricey because i bought the WGS seperate. thats 2 tax, 2 shipping. and shipping on 2 speakers was kinda a lot too. im sure consolidating the order is better.

not sure what the shipping charge is from canada. probably a good bit opposed to local just on distance / logistics or something but still an amazing deal.

the S series if you want a more affordable option. from the website i think it would be hard to lose. try to dig up research on em.

http://www.voltageamps.ca/Voltage_G...ts/Gallery.html

and they make em vertical. does not look like they change the handle orientation, same with avatar.

its too much to change their saw if they are doing a run of 100 boards to just do 1 sideways. you just gotta live with the handes being on the top.

i actually fine a single top handle is easy still allows easy carrying in a decently light 2x12. ive never bear hugged both handles except for getting it in a truck.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 09-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Gonzo420West

Nice yeah them voltage cabs seem pretty sweet. How would they compare to the recto 2x12? is the vet 30 basically the same as the v30? also I read somewhere that the V30's in the recto cab arent celestion, would this be accurate?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i think (don't quote me) mesa uses english-made celestion v30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Agreed! The G12K100s work well with bright amps/preamps. I liked them with the VH100R before I swapped the preamps with the darker Tungsram, or was it RFT? Also, the G12K100 X V30 tends to make the overall tone sound too smooth. The growl/snarl gets lost.

Mesas love V30s and work extremely well with my Orange PPC412.

yeah that's what i suspected, but obviously having not tried the thing it's all conjecture

Quote:

Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ i think (don't quote me) mesa uses english-made celestion v30s.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're correct... They definitely use real Celestions, but the V30s they use are voiced slightly different than your average v30. I believe they're slightly darker and deeper sounding than the normal ones.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: