Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Peavey 6505/Rectifier Cab

I was wondering if the Peavey 6505 and a 2 x12 Rectifier Cab would be good for recording Metal guitars at bedroom volume. Also, any comments on the sound of this killer amp combo? I'm planning on getting these sometime soon. I'll be using a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR as my axe and an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Not necessarily a bedroom volume set-up, but you can't go wrong with that set up. It will sound sick.
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Not necessarily a bedroom volume set-up, but you can't go wrong with that set up. It will sound sick.

I have a crappy Marshall MG 100HDFX stack.... since the cab is 2x12 it's gonna be quiter right? If not I can get something to lower the volume when I crank it.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

Nope. Record loud. Having said that, define "good". You're probably looking at some kind of DI setup. What are you trying to produce quality wise?

Sound is probably good on that combo, but don't buy it until you've heard it. It has to sound right to YOU. Your cab (well, speakers) will color your tone more than anything else and buying the wrong one will make you hate all your gear. I did for the longest time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
I have a crappy Marshall MG 100HDFX stack.... since the cab is 2x12 it's gonna be quiter right? If not I can get something to lower the volume when I crank it.

Barely.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::

Last edited by crabstampede : 09-18-2012 at 01:50 AM.
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

ideal circumstances would be to get a iso cab and a high wattage speaker. then you can dime it with the mic positioned in the front chamber, hook up and go. really the only way you can record at bedroom volumes with a high gain amp, with real speakers and getting it to sound good.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
ideal circumstances would be to get a iso cab and a high wattage speaker. then you can dime it with the mic positioned in the front chamber, hook up and go. really the only way you can record at bedroom volumes with a high gain amp, with real speakers and getting it to sound good.

Damn skippy. Iso cabs are great.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:

A 212 cab won't be any quieter than a 412 cab. It will simply sound a little tighter. Less boom on the low end. The fact that you are going from a solid state 100 watt amp to a tube 120 watt amp will make a great deal of difference in perceived volume however.

You can get an attenuator to lower the volume but make sure to look at the cost so you know what you're getting into. I use a 6505+ with a 212 cab for my home and gigging rig.

Last edited by Tremolo Bum : 09-18-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

That's the correct answer - build an iso cab. I've seen a closet converted into one.
That amp/cab combination is a good one.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
dongular
Banned

http://snipr.com/promotion/10.1"-Android2.2-Tablet

10.1" Android 2.2 tablet pc,10.1" capacitive screen, multi-touch, nvidia tegra 2 dual core 1.0GHz CPU, 512M DDR2 RAM, 16GB SSD hard disk.

Now 62% off for promotion(P.Snly 100 units is available at this discount),and if you buy now,we will offer you a luxurious case(value:10$) for free charge !!
dongular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

if you can't build one, buy this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-12-speaker-cab

i need to find some time for my cabinet building. i have two and a half 4'x8' sheets of Baltic Birch and two 1x15"cabs that are cut and ready to assemble. from that i will keep building cabs until i run out of wood and speakers.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
DarthV

Guess it depends on what your idea of bedroom volume is. A 6505 is going to sound a little dull until you get the channel/master volume up beyond 1. At that point it's decently loud. And don't bother with an attenuator.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
ikey_

depending on how good your walls / closet door / bedroom door is, yeah. a closet can be an iso "room???"

in fact....my amp is in the closet right now for this reason. i have fairly crap apartment walls/door, so i can still hear it fairly loud, but it takes "a bit off the top" i can turn up just a bit more.

the trick was that i put the speaker side towards the wall, away from me. that helped A LOT. speakers pointing out towards the bedroom really does still project into my room.

another key factor is we ditched the rugs to get hardwood = less of a seal on the door = louder amp.

but yes. previously, with carpet, with cab pointed away from me, i got power tube distortion out f a 40 watt dv mark lil 40. it was LOUD, but no cops were called.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
KailM

Quote:

Nope, it'll be a HELL of a lot louder. I too, suffered from having to run a Marshall MG halfstack for awhile. I finally sold it and bought a 6505+ 112. That's a 60 watt amp with only ONE speaker. With the volume on 3 it is easily louder than that MG maxed, or at least it sounds that way because it has a much, much thicker, richer tone. My MG would barely compete with a drummer and it also sounded like an awful, farty mess at that volume. You're in for a big surprise if you go this route; 'nuff said.

An attenuator does not really apply to 6505s. They get most of their tone from the preamp, not from power tube distortion at high volumes. That said, they are not "bedroom" amps. They get their best tone when turned up a little above "2" on the post gain (volume, basically). At that level they are far beyond "bedroom" volume. That said, they can be EQ'd to sound decent at lower volumes, but that EQ changes when turning them up. And once you hear one cranked a little, you won't want to turn it down again, lol.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 09-18-2012 at 08:17 AM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
guitardedhero

I tried a hot plate with my 6505+ and it was useless. Most effective I've found is turning the volume down 4-6db on my 10 band EQ in the loop.
Amps:
Peavey 6505+/Mesa 4x12
Pedalboard:
TC Polytune
ISP Decimator G String
Green Rhino
MXR Phase 90
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp
Guyatone MDm5 Delay
Guyatone MD3 Delay
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
guitardedhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabstampede
Nope. Record loud. Having said that, define "good". You're probably looking at some kind of DI setup. What are you trying to produce quality wise?

Sound is probably good on that combo, but don't buy it until you've heard it. It has to sound right to YOU. Your cab (well, speakers) will color your tone more than anything else and buying the wrong one will make you hate all your gear. I did for the longest time.

Barely.

Well I have the Marshall MG100HDFX with matching cab and I think any amp I buy will sound 20x better. Now the most I'd do with this set up is mic it and record covers and make my own songs. I've heard several demos on this set up. I've played the 6505+, but it was a little bright and harsh, but come to find out that the regular 6505+ is actually a brighter and tighter 6505 with less gain. Then the peavey cab is really dark sounding. Use a rectifier cab instead to open the sound up.

Now to the other thing. Isn't there a ohms hotplate that I could buy to lower the loudness of the guitar so I can get the tubes cranked up without having to shatter a few windows? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Nope, it'll be a HELL of a lot louder. I too, suffered from having to run a Marshall MG halfstack for awhile. I finally sold it and bought a 6505+ 112. That's a 60 watt amp with only ONE speaker. With the volume on 3 it is easily louder than that MG maxed, or at least it sounds that way because it has a much, much thicker, richer tone. My MG would barely compete with a drummer and it also sounded like an awful, farty mess at that volume. You're in for a big surprise if you go this route; 'nuff said.

An attenuator does not really apply to 6505s. They get most of their tone from the preamp, not from power tube distortion at high volumes. That said, they are not "bedroom" amps. They get their best tone when turned up a little above "2" on the post gain (volume, basically). At that level they are far beyond "bedroom" volume. That said, they can be EQ'd to sound decent at lower volumes, but that EQ changes when turning them up. And once you hear one cranked a little, you won't want to turn it down again, lol.

Well I'm looking for an amp that can be used with an attenuator. I've looked at the Mesa Boogie Mark V. I wanted to get the Peavey since it was much cheaper, but still sounds really sick. I'm still in highschool so my parents won't like the volume haha. The attenuator is a must haha.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
DarthV

You'll get crucified in here for thinking about using a mark V (or any high gain tube amp) with an attenuator :P If you have the money for a mark v + cab but can't play with the master turned up even just a little bit, I'd really look at going with some sort of FRFR setup. Maybe look at something like the ENGL E530 preamp, a nice set of headphones and some sort of powered FRFR speakers. I guess another option would be a vypyr 60w tube combo or the 120w tube head + cab.

Or jump off the deep end and look into the higher end digital systems (Fractal AxeFX II or Kemper KPA).
Kemper KPA
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
You'll get crucified in here for thinking about using a mark V (or any high gain tube amp) with an attenuator :P If you have the money for a mark v + cab but can't play with the master turned up even just a little bit, I'd really look at going with some sort of FRFR setup. Maybe look at something like the ENGL E530 preamp, a nice set of headphones and some sort of powered FRFR speakers. I guess another option would be a vypyr 60w tube combo or the 120w tube head + cab.

Or jump off the deep end and look into the higher end digital systems (Fractal AxeFX II or Kemper KPA).

Haha, I'm probably gonna get used gear anyways. I was gonna get a used Peavey 6505 and a mesa 2x12 cab and still be under $1200. Now that I know that attenuators don't work with the 6505 puts me in a bad position. I really don't have the money to buy a Mesa Head AND cab. So I'll have to get the head and wait a bit. This amp thing is a one time thing so if I do find a band I want a stack. I just like the thought of a stack. Now the attenuator would just be for recording. I've played a Marshall MG for 5 years so I think I can handle it at low volume and still be satisfied with the tone haha. When it comes to guitar recording I want the best tone possible. I also live in an apartment, so when I decide to record I do need the attenuator. Any amps with an amazing lead/rhythm tone that are under $1500 US that can be used with an attenuator? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
DarthV

It's not that they don't work, they just don't work the way you'd expect. Modern high gain amps get pretty much all their overdrive/distortion from the preamp, so using an attenuator isn't really a great solution (they add their own color to you tone). This isn't just an issue with the 6505 head, it goes for pretty much any amp.

Most amps with effect loops can be used just as a preamp if you like. I've hooked my 6505 up in 4CM with my HD500 for just that purpose. Just never run a tube amp without a load (speaker) Actually, the 6505 and 6505+ heads have dedicated preamp out jacks.
Kemper KPA
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
leo4sf
Submariner

Actually the 6505 is not a bad choice for bedroom levels. The distorton is all pre-amp. It doesnt sound as bright with the volume down, but I play in my room and my wife cant hear it in the next room. With the Bad Monkey in front of it the tone is great for metal at a reasonable volume.

I play a 5150 2X12 combo, which is basically the same amp as you are looking at. I play with the volume at like one-half and it sounds great.
leo4sf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: