Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

The Palm Steel Guitar Build

I am trying to build a Pedal-less steel guitar with string bending capabilities.

I have included a crude drawing at the bottom.

I am thinking I will need some rotating saddles similar to these:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...ml?tab=Pictures

And then another set mounted behind that so that the string is underneath it like in the picture. That way when a metal "close-pin" is mounted to the body of the guitar you can press down with your palm which would pull the string up. The rollers would help reduce friction as well as help return the guitar in tune so the string doesnt catch on the bridge.

I wass thinking this was what I was looking for however I called Hipshot and they said it was only a Part of their B-bender system:
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/ca...uct_detail&p=39

Here is an example of a palm steel made on youtube however, I think that the bar over the top of the bridge would be harder to play and would get in the way:

Here is something that looked like it would work but when I called the company they talked like that was not what I was looking for. It looks like there are 4 different levers behind the bridge in this picture:
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/ca...ct_detail&p=267

Where can I get something like this made or does it already exist?
Please help I am ready to get this made soon! Thank you!

MARTY FRIEDMAN--"Itís a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think itís a lot more rare to have someone whoís really got their own sound because thatís something you canít practice."
WesM.Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

Really? No one has any advice/comments on this?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"Itís a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think itís a lot more rare to have someone whoís really got their own sound because thatís something you canít practice."
WesM.Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
logicbdj

Well, I think it sounds pretty darn cool. I bought a Pevey Power Slide, and although I only used it a few times, it was fun as heck! Looking foward to this build! Sorry I can't be of help. www.SteelGuitarCanada.com sells a ton of different parts and fully assembled products... maybe they can be of help? They've been in the business for DECADES!
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: