Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
samus2509

How should I make my guitar?

Hi, guys!
I'm planning to make myself a guitar. And I was wondering;
How should I make it? I'm thinking of making it somehow like this

http://www.google.no/imgres?um=1&hl...9,r:9,s:0,i:102

Do you have any suggestions of where I should buy the body from? (I'm not planning to carve it out myself) Also, I already have a Squier Stratocaster, is it possible (if so- recomended) to just take the neck from that guitar and put it on the new one? My budget is not that immense, so I can't run around buying the most expensive wood there is. I also live in europe, so shipment may also cost a lot if I buy it from the US.

Any help would be much appreciated!
samus2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
browns82jk

Warmoth is great for bodys and necks but they are based in the US so I'm not sure how much shipping would be. And I wouldn't put a squier neck on it considering squier isnt always the best of quality. You could for the time being though till you can afford a new neck. Plus the bodys from warmoth you can get any where from body blanks to fulling finished.
browns82jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
whoomit

Yes, you can easily put your Squier neck on another Strat body. Strat bodys are all pretty well made to the same specs. What's your location TS?

You could probably find a decent body on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...+body&_osacat=0
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

If you want a finish like the one in the picture you linked, I'd look at Wudtone DIY kits. I haven't got around to using mine yet but the instructions are very simple and they have a couple that are very similar listed on their website. It'd save hunting around for a specific body already finished in that way. You'd be able to just grab something from ebay as long as the neck pocket is the right size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
samus2509

Thanks guys. Gonna check it out. Does anybody know what I'm gonna have to do to get the same effect on the body on my guitar? (except from applying Wudtone DIY kit)
samus2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
mojojim

HI There, I would def go for a single piece swamp ash body (make sure you know the weight as this makes all the difference in resonance of the guitar, the lighter the better, ideally around 3lbs 6-10ozs, if you are going to use a wudtone finish ( their hot auburn is quite close to this, maybe you want a little darker ( they will also make up a customer kit for you if you send pics) . all you need to do is sand the bare wood down to 400 grit making sure the surface is smooth and free of any marks scratches as the first colour coats will show these up. Also their satin top coat is the one to go for for that kinda look.
mojojim is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: