Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Bolth Mannn

First Song Feedback

Hey guys I put the first song I've ever written onto youtube, here:

Its an instrumental, I don't really know what style but yea, besides recording sound and minor messups (it is a very rough demo), do you guys have any feedback? Any feedback appreciated, thanks guys
Bolth Mannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Darth_Pietrus
I like bewbs

Not bad mate. Do you listen to alot of the Cranberries? That's the kind of vibe I was getting atleast.
Turn up that lead guitar.
Choose a different title, this seems like a pretty happy song to me :P
Darth_Pietrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Bolth Mannn

Never heard of them, to be honest. I'll give them a listen now haha... Yea the mix is a bit dodgy, I recorded this and exported in about an hour so yea haha...

The titles sort of meant to have subtle positive meaning, like, life is amazing, live it the best you can or youll be better off dead kind of thing, I dont know, I dont really think its a huge thing and I've never heard of a title detracting from a song, but if that actually happens then let me know

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Shornifier
Shornifier

Hey dude I think it's pretty cool; the contrasting atmospheres was rather interesting.

What software are you using? Preset beat?

The melody itself is nice, although it's a bit hard to tell from the recording, I think you could play it with a bit more confidence and stability. It happens a lot when we think it's too loud when we play hard, so the solution that I find works best is to drop the volume to a point where it sounds normal even if you are picking a fast hard attack on the strings.

Your tone isn't bad, it's just that there is no tone(?). Sounds like you plugged into your computer and played right away? It's not a bad thing, but you should try getting your hands on an amp simulator or at least a few pedals. Some reverb going through the track adds a nice touch as well.

It could be a great composition if you took the time to arrange it properly and learned how to work with the software; nobody's good from the first time, trust me. Good job!

90% of the world's famous rock guitarists don't know how to read sheet music btw.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Bolth Mannn

I used pro tools for the guitars and jamstudio for the drumbeat haha :P and yes you guessed completely right, I just plugged the guitar in and played straight away...it was a really rushed session and won't get more access for another few weeks, but Ill definitely spend some time working on the tone for the lead guitar.

and yea I was sorta improvising some of the parts of the lead so my confidence wasnt completely there, but thanks for the ideas

...cool?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Darth_Pietrus
I like bewbs

Hehe, no the title doesnt matter ;D Very good effort for your first song btw
Darth_Pietrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Shornifier
Shornifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolth Mannn
I used pro tools for the guitars and jamstudio for the drumbeat haha :P and yes you guessed completely right, I just plugged the guitar in and played straight away...it was a really rushed session and won't get more access for another few weeks, but Ill definitely spend some time working on the tone for the lead guitar.

and yea I was sorta improvising some of the parts of the lead so my confidence wasnt completely there, but thanks for the ideas

...cool?

Pro Tools comes with an amp simulator; you should play around with it. And although there are a lot of benefits to using real amps when recording, amp simulation is great no matter what people say - I use Amplitube and AC/DC uses it in the studio as well; it's not some cheap toy or 'cheating' as some would say. I'll be more than happy to help out if you need anything.

Respect +1 for being brave enough to post something completely new. You always have to think your work is great, but never be satisfied until you truly believe it to be perfect.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
samuel_iv

Hey, really great effort, kinda reminds me of modern Chili Peppers or the Cranberries.
For a demo its decent quality, if it was properly recorded through an amp or amp simulation it would be great, keep up the good work
samuel_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
whywefight
formin like voltron

Yeah sexualize that guitar tone and get a singer, and this song would be sex.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
NeptuneUK
UG's Pseudo Intellectual

I liked it. Nice melody.
The lead guitar sounded a bit like a wet fart, but the notes flowed nicely.
NeptuneUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Bolth Mannn

haha love the analogy^

Thanks guys, I'll work on the tone next time I get access to the studio

Rate This Thread: