User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Alex2407

Help

Hi guys!
I need some help.

I have been playing guitar for just over a year now, but I haven't been taking it overly seriously...I never bothered to learn correct technique, scales or power chords. I only really learnt relatively simple songs that I liked.
Recently I decided that I want to take my playing seriously and take my music really far, but I'm lost about how to go about it..
Can anyone help me out?

Cheers
Alex2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Anon17

Read this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1091796

Read it again, and this time actually take in what it says. Don't skim any of it, I don't care how bored you get, read the whole thing properly. Now memorise the fact that if you get stuck, it's due to economy of motion or tension the vast majority of the time.

Read it again because I know you didn't read it properly and won't be able to tell me the correct way of practicing, say, legato. You should know the basic mechanics of playing off by heart if you want to improve your technique.

Once you've done all this remember that the best thing to practice to improve is songs (like you're doing now) but it's rather how you practice them, not so much what you practice. Don't get too stuck into doing exercises and if you decide to learn scales then DON'T JUST PLAY UP AND DOWN THEM.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Alex2407

Thanks so much! I definately take it all on board!
I'll get to it!
Alex2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
gavster23

You haven't learned power chords? OMG you need to learn that straight away, if you like rock music and rhythm guitar anyway, are you playing electric, acoustic or both? Be happy to help anyway...
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
gavster23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj6...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC0x...&feature=fvwrel

check these videos, you should be ok with power chords after watching these!

have fun
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

get a teacher, a year is a long time in which to develop bad habits, the quickest way to identify those and also prioritise the weaknesses in your playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Tommat

What the crazy seagull person ( ) said. It mightn't have even crossed your mind, but it's very possible bad habits have formed and you're 100% unaware of them.

If you don't have enough money to pay for a teacher, much like myself, it'd definitely be still worth your while to save up for a couple of lessons, let your teacher know your situation in that you want to just make sure you've no bad habits, then he'd be able to identify whether or not this is the case in the first lesson.

No bad habits? Great. Some bad habits? Might wanna pay for a few more lessons to get them sorted out, or at least find out what you're doing wrong and correct it yourself.
Tommat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
zuhairreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2407
Hi guys!
I need some help.

I have been playing guitar for just over a year now, but I haven't been taking it overly seriously...I never bothered to learn correct technique, scales or power chords. I only really learnt relatively simple songs that I liked.
Recently I decided that I want to take my playing seriously and take my music really far, but I'm lost about how to go about it..
Can anyone help me out?

Cheers

The main thing you can do when you want to play is this: take the guitar, sit down with it and that's it, begin playing.

During the early days I used to stress over what to practice, what to play, etc., and it took some time before I finally realized that getting myself to just sit down with it was the hardest part (at least for me). Once I got used to playing random guitar licks (just for warming up) as a startup, new ideas soon started to come and I happily began to practice fluidly.

To answer your question in full, I would say ONE way you can go about developing your technique is to see to it that you do the basic fingering/picking exercises on a regular day-to-day basis. They don't HAVE to be everday if you can't make it, but obviously if you practice everyday or every 2 days or so (even if for a short while, say around half an hour to an hour) and practice really well (focused, using a metronome, etc.) then that would be the best for you.

Focus on working out different types of finger combinations and try exercises using all 4 fingers of your left (or fretting) hand. The aim of these kind of exercises is to make sure that all 4 of your fretting hand fingers can "work independently". For example, you can try the famous 1234 (the numbers are the fretting hand fingers. 1 is the index, 2 is middle, 3 is ring and 4 is the pinky finger) exercise, but mix it up with other techniques, like playing them several times with alternate picking, then with legato only, and then not playing 1234 at all, but variations of it, like 1243, 3412, 1432, etc. Every note played should be in time (not too fast or too slow compared to the last note you played), and should have more or less the same dynamics (not too loud once, or too soft next time, etc.). If you think you are doing it right, then you probably are, so stop stressing too much. Also, "speed comes with time". That's something that I think every guitar player finds out soon, provided they stick with the guitar and not leave it in frustration. If you can't play something fast (and perfect), forget playing it faster > that's just nonsense. With music playing everything in time and beautifully is the main thing, so focus on making sure you can play it perfectly at a SLOW speed (VERY VERY slow if you need it) and that you're not stressing yourself (posture) or your finger muscles. Once your muscles get stronger and technique gets better, it will become easier to play the exercise at a fast tempo.

If you're not getting ideas as to what to practice, or think you're not doing enough to improve, then still, "do whatever you can". You don't have to practice everything all in one go so soon. If you have one or two guitar lick you are working on, use a metronome (very effective at improving technique and sense of timing, which is needed when you play in a band and need to follow the drummer), play in time, play perfectly, take a short break, then get back to it when you can. When you get back to it, work your way up-to your topmost speed and don't just jump to your highest speed instantly since you may need to warmup after the break.

Go to Google and find some guitar rifffs to start practicing NOW SOLDIER!!!

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zuhairreza41

... and feel free to add me on Facebook if you're a musician at all:

https://www.facebook.com/zuhairreza1991

Last edited by zuhairreza : 09-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
zuhairreza is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: