Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
tappooh

A min Arpeggio - 6 strings sweep or 5 strings sweep

I was listening to the song Frenzy (Paul Gilbert) and he sweeps an A minor arpeggio in a rather odd way. A guy on youtube told me that he plays it with the root on the low E string, I checked on my guitar and its correct.

Basically he plays this
Code:
E--17---------------------------------17-- A-----15----------------------------15---- D--------14-----------------------14------ G-----------14------------------14-------- B--------------13-------------13---------- E-----------------12--17--12-------------

Instead of the usual

Code:
E----------------------------------------------- A--12-15-----------------------------15-12-- D---------14-----------------------14--------- G------------14------------------14----------- B---------------13------------13-------------- E-------------------12-17-12-----------------

Whats the point of moving the A on the low E string? Im pretty bad at sweeps so I cant play them fast enough to tell if there is a significant advantage. It seems to me that the 6 strings sweep gives me a better triplet feel due to no hammer on/pull off but I was playing it pretty slow.

The only thing I can think of is that it allows you to avoid the rolling with the ring finger but on the other hand you have to shift position between the two octaves.

Thoughts?

My Buckethead covers (I don't dress up like him)
tappooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well the one starting on the 17th fret is impossible for me to do. I run out of fingers at the 1st string. Idk why(or how) he does it that way, but I'm guessing it's either avoid alt picking the first/last 2 notes, or to smoothly transition into another arpeggio.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
RndyW0

I think he does it because Paul Gilbert is an international badass.

Though sweeping that way does make a much more fluid motion, if you have a chance to set your hand up correctly to start with then the stroke down will sound better than an unsightly sweep hammer-on. But also you're not going up in pitch, then down, then up then down. You're just going down then up making for a much cleaner sweep.
RndyW0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Reages

I also run out of fingers playing the first one, the second one seems more natural
Reages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
tappooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndyW0
I think he does it because Paul Gilbert is an international badass.

Though sweeping that way does make a much more fluid motion, if you have a chance to set your hand up correctly to start with then the stroke down will sound better than an unsightly sweep hammer-on. But also you're not going up in pitch, then down, then up then down. You're just going down then up making for a much cleaner sweep.

Good point there, what do you mean by "not going up in pitch" tho? Do you mean playing other arpeggios in sequence?

@people running out of fingers: you are supposed to shift position when going moving from one octave to the other. Like I said in the first post it allows you to avoid having to roll the finger over the D and G strings.

Starting from the low E string you play the E with the pinky, A with the middle finger and D with the index. THEN you shift position and finish the sweep with ring finger on the G, middle finger on the B and index on the high E.

Its tricky, thats why I asked whats the point.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
That's the way i sweep root position triads too, this is the fingering to play it:

Code:
e------------------------------------12---17---12-----------------------------------| B------------------------------13---------------------13----------------------------| G-----------------------14---------------------------------14-----------------------| D-----------------14---------------------------------------------14-----------------| A-----------15---------------------------------------------------------15-----------| E-----17--------------------------------------------------------------------17------| 4 2 1 3 2 1 4 1 2 3 1 2 4

You change position between the D and G strings.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Just FYI, tab is normally written with the lowest sounding strings at the bottom.

Paul is kinda funny about sweeping, are you sure he swept it at all?
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
tappooh

In this video it looks like he does, its not very clear but its the only one I found.

Roughly 1:20 in.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

That's not a sweep. It really looks like it, but it's just more of Pauls usual string skipping arpeggios. Paul never sweeps, he's said so himself. He can sweep through an A minor arpeggio descending but he can't ascend. I think he's playing this:
Code:
e|-12----------------------12- B|---------------------------- G|----17-14-12----12-14-17---- D|---------------------------- A|-------------15------------- E|----------------------------
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
That's not a sweep. It really looks like it, but it's just more of Pauls usual string skipping arpeggios. Paul never sweeps, he's said so himself. He can sweep through an A minor arpeggio descending but he can't ascend. I think he's playing this:
Code:
e|-12----------------------12- B|---------------------------- G|----17-14-12----12-14-17---- D|---------------------------- A|-------------15------------- E|----------------------------

Look closer at his picking hand dude, it's clearly a sweep.

Paul doesn't tend to sweep, that much is definitely true but he's very much capable of doing so. He used to do it quite rarely back in the 80s and has shown it on a few instructional videos, also given the fingering that's been posted, those notes don't fit in to any string skipping fingering I've seen.

But anyway the fingering used in the tabs given is obviously designed to allow a continuous sweeping motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: