Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #81
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
I've never understood peoples' primitive obsession with attempting to assert their assumed moral and intellectual superiority due to not partaking in a particular hobby or activity.

I don't understand people who put their left shoe on before their right.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #82
Explorerbuilder

sneak peak
Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #83
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MintSauce-
Guns are evil. I don't understand the primitive obsession with them.

Guns are not anymore evil than a guitar is. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If they can't get a gun they use whatever they can get. You can kill some one with just about anything, even a guitar.
zakkwyldefan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #84
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwyldefan79
Guns are not anymore evil than a guitar is. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If they can't get a gun they use whatever they can get. You can kill some one with just about anything, even a guitar.

Don't you think that guns make killing too easy though? They allow people to detach themselves, because they don't get their hands bloody, and they amplify the risk associated with scared people doing stupid things. In my opinion, it takes a different type of person to bludgeon someone to death than it does to shoot someone. It takes a lot more committment - a shooter who kills with one shot might have given up after one hit with baseball bat. You're right about people who are genuinely driven to kill, though - they will use and do anything.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #85
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

Quote:
Don't you think that guns make killing too easy though? They allow people to detach themselves, because they don't get their hands bloody, and they amplify the risk associated with scared people doing stupid things. In my opinion, it takes a different type of person to bludgeon someone to death than it does to shoot someone. It takes a lot more committment - a shooter who kills with one shot might have given up after one hit with baseball bat. You're right about people who are genuinely driven to kill, though - they will use and do anything.

They can make killing easier, if the shooter is a good shot. Which alot of people, especially gang members, are not. There are other ways to kill without getting blood on your hands. Poison is one way. Scared people have been known touse whatever is handy to do stupid things. Women have been known to use frying pans as weapons. As far as committment, one shot shot might not kill, it depends on where the person is hit. One shot to the head with a baseball bat can kill someone too.

I've grown up around guns. I live in the country. Almost everybody around here has one or more, I don't though. Most people just use them for hunting or collect them or have them just incase someone breaks into their home. Most people that own guns are not violent criminals. If guns are made illegal then only criminals will have them and we will have no way to protect ourselves from them.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #86
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
They can make killing easier, if the shooter is a good shot. Which alot of people, especially gang members, are not. There are other ways to kill without getting blood on your hands. Poison is one way. Scared people have been known touse whatever is handy to do stupid things. Women have been known to use frying pans as weapons. As far as committment, one shot shot might not kill, it depends on where the person is hit. One shot to the head with a baseball bat can kill someone too.

I've grown up around guns. I live in the country. Almost everybody around here has one or more, I don't though. Most people just use them for hunting or collect them or have them just incase someone breaks into their home. Most people that own guns are not violent criminals. If guns are made illegal then only criminals will have them and we will have no way to protect ourselves from them.

The only people who really have guns over here are the Police, the Army, farmers, and criminals. I'm pretty sure that guns have never been in strong circulation, so we don't have the issue of like-for-like protection. Most people would avoid anyone with a gun and call the Police immediately, just because they're seen so rarely. You just have to watch out for little scallies with knives, to be honest.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #87
Explorerbuilder

Quote:

I agree 100%, and have been saying this for years.

99% of the time guns that are used in crimes were not obtained legally anyway.

I never understood why people in GB are always afraid of guns or people with them.

Its a way of life here. Small town people always have them. Always need them to control the coyotes that attack livestock and pets. I also hunt and use them.

Hunters and country people are usually the most responsible with firearms. Just because some thugs go shooting people for stupid reasons doenst mean guns are "evil" and should be taken away and banned forever.

People are the problem, not the weapon.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #88
DLrocket89
UG's roaming amp builder

Quote:

Agreed to all of that. My dad got me my first BB gun when I was 8, my first shotgun when I was 12 (when you can hunt within arms reach of a parent), and I've owned many since. When someone treats them with respect and you learn that at a young age, guns aren't a problem.

I graduated high school almost 10 years ago (related side note, it's been THAT LONG?). Of my class of 396, 12 of us have died so far. The cause of every death? Drunk driving. Does that prove that guns aren't a problems? No. Does that show that maybe we have bigger problems to deal with? I'd vote yes.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
DLrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #89
Jason Jillard
Luthier

my mom just bought me a pass last christmas to go try out guns... it was fun.

i did archery for over 8 years though, qualified for canadian jrs, but couldn't afford the plane tickets.

shooting guns was a similar feeling for me as archery. except less skill involved.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #90
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

It is required around here that anyone wanting to hunt has to take a hunter/gun safty course before they can get a hunting License. So most people know how to safely handle a gun.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #91
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Jillard
my mom just bought me a pass last christmas to go try out guns... it was fun.

i did archery for over 8 years though, qualified for canadian jrs, but couldn't afford the plane tickets.

shooting guns was a similar feeling for me as archery. except less skill involved.

That's interesting, really. I've always thought about trying Archery except I haven't had enough time. So, if Archery gear is similar to guitar gear, what would be best for hunting/target from a Gibson LP Studio to Standard to R9?

I started shooting when I was 5, with a Browning .22LR, and I have been shooting Silhouette since I was 12. I've had 2 lessons in Combat shooting and it's almost the opposite of Silhouette in mindset and skill set.

Right now, I'd be more comfortable taking out zombies up to 200 yards away than a melee with zombies less than 7 feet away.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #92
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
sneak peak

That is absolutely beautiful.

But while we're on the topic, if we're going to ban guns, why not ban knives, blunt objects, slightly pointy writing utensils, vehicles, poisonous animals, household cleaners, and guitar strings. Anything and everything is a weapon, and if it came down to it a killer would not even need a weapon. Some of these "zero tolerance" policies seriously irk me. I work as a tech/builder for the theater at my school, and sometimes I'd like to use some of my own tools, I have a drill which I favor because of it's power, but I cannot use because the school considers it a weapon. What sense does it make to beat a man with a DeWalt cordless drill? If I were carrying a switchblade, I could understand, however a drill is as much a weapon as a distortion pedal.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #93
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

You are such a tease explorer builder... Can't wait to see it!

To the guy in England who doesn't like guns- if everyone owned a gun there would be a lot less crime.

Anyway I got a Fluke 83 from a coworker today for free. I have an 87 as well but that stays at home. 83 will be for work. Much better than the work issued meterman that can't even do an accurate VD.

Last edited by R45VT : 11-09-2012 at 02:34 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #94
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
You are such a tease explorer builder... Can't wait to see it!

To the guy in England who doesn't like guns- if everyone owned a gun there would be a lot less crime.

Anyway I got a Fluke 83 from a coworker today for free. I have an 87 as well but that stays at home. 83 will be for work. Much better than the work issued meterman that can't even do an accurate VD.

Why is that thing so expensive. what makes that specific multimeter $300 or more.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #95
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Because they are the best. Most accurate and rugged. They set the bar for the industry. Really only 2 types of meters- fluke and everything else.

In my job I see a lot of different technicians use cheap meters and it frustrates me. Inaccurate for the most basic measurements.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #96
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Because they are the best. Most accurate and rugged. They set the bar for the industry. Really only 2 types of meters- fluke and everything else.

In my job I see a lot of different technicians use cheap meters and it frustrates me. Inaccurate for the most basic measurements.

Fair enough. I guess if you're gonna work in the electric industry, might as well use the best of the best.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #97
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
The only people who really have guns over here are the Police, the Army, farmers, and criminals. I'm pretty sure that guns have never been in strong circulation, so we don't have the issue of like-for-like protection. Most people would avoid anyone with a gun and call the Police immediately, just because they're seen so rarely. You just have to watch out for little scallies with knives, to be honest.

That's an extremely naive view. A lot of people in this country own guns, it's just that unlike America, people over here don't make a big song and dance about it. I mean, you used to be able to own pistols until that twat up in Scotland went and killed those schoolkids, now it's just shotguns and rifles. Don't kid yourself that there aren't a lot of legitimate civilian gun owners here in Britain though.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #98
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
That's an extremely naive view. A lot of people in this country own guns, it's just that unlike America, people over here don't make a big song and dance about it. I mean, you used to be able to own pistols until that twat up in Scotland went and killed those schoolkids, now it's just shotguns and rifles. Don't kid yourself that there aren't a lot of legitimate civilian gun owners here in Britain though.

He clearly has never fired a gun and is afraid of them. Ignore him.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #99
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
He clearly has never fired a gun and is afraid of them. Ignore him.

How come people get so emotional over the firearms topic?

I've fired air rifles and air pistols, which means that I'm practically Rambo.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #100
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
How come people get so emotional over the firearms topic?

I've fired air rifles and air pistols, which means that I'm practically Rambo.

I love it. That was funny.

Rate This Thread: