Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #121
seljer
UG Resident

I spent all morning sanding a patio table I completed yesterday

kids, if you're sanding or painting anything larger than a grapefruit, wear that damn dusk mask, you won't regret it
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #122
Viban
UG's resident bum

So my school theater just finished our 3rd and possibly final showing of the 39 steps this year, but we did such a good job we might be doing an encore in a couple weeks.

They all have their sexy fly system manager to thank for that.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #123
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
So my school theater just finished our 3rd and possibly final showing of the 39 steps this year, but we did such a good job we might be doing an encore in a couple weeks.

They all have their sexy fly system manager to thank for that.

39 steps? What is that?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #124
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
39 steps? What is that?

It was an old World War Two film about an airman who gets shot down and takes the woman he was talking to just before he died to heaven. Or some shit like that anyway.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #125
Speckled_Hen
Dr Monkey Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
It was an old World War Two film about an airman who gets shot down and takes the woman he was talking to just before he died to heaven. Or some shit like that anyway.

Isn't that one A Matter of Life and Death?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #126
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled_Hen
Isn't that one A Matter of Life and Death?

That's an Iron Maiden album seriously, no idea

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #127
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

I picked up a new toy today. I found this Kramer Striker 100ST at a local pawn shop. I was looking at it and the guy behind the counter told me I could have it for what he had in it, which was $50. It had been there a while and he just wanted to move it. I figured it a Floyd Rose II trem on it and it was probably worth $50 so I bought it. When I got home and plugged it in it didn't make any sound. So I figured it was the jack and I tore in to it. It turns out the pickup had been upgraded to a Seymour Duncan without the logo. The sticker says DCJ which makes it a SH-5 Custom wound by Maricella Juarez. She now runs the custom shop at Duncan and pickups wound by her have a reputation of being some of the best. Whoever installed it didn't know what they were doing. The wiring was a mess. I fixed it though. I still need to set the intonaton of the trem. It's off a little but doesn't sound bad. It also had Dunlop Straplok strap buttons on it (the system I use on all my guitars). It is missing the trem arm and the locks for the nut. I still think I got a good deal.

zakkwyldefan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #128
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:

No, it was set in the 30's. I don't really know the whole storyline as I was stuck behind 4 layers of thick velvet curtain.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #129
XgamerGt04

So it isn't necessarily gear related... but I did build something out of wood today.

XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #130
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
No, it was set in the 30's. I don't really know the whole storyline as I was stuck behind 4 layers of thick velvet curtain.

Yes, and when did World War Two start?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #131
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Yes, and when did World War Two start?

I really should have slept before I said anything, lol. Two weeks of exhaustion makes everything all mixed up in your head. For whatever reason I was thinking that WWII started in 1945, as opposed to ending .

Last edited by Viban : 11-20-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #132
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XgamerGt04
So it isn't necessarily gear related... but I did build something out of wood today.

Nice wood.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #133
Speckled_Hen
Dr Monkey Pants

Quote:
That's an Iron Maiden album seriously, no idea

Its my favourite Iron Maiden album

I never got why people do slanted humbuckers. The strings are out of line with half the polepieces, and I thought that was supposed to be bad. Still, what do I know?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #134
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:

I never got why people do slanted humbuckers. The strings are out of line with half the polepieces, and I thought that was supposed to be bad. Still, what do I know?

I think the point of doing it in the bridge pickup was to emphasize the characteristics of the strings, it picks up a more drastically moving part of the low E string and a less drastically moving part of the high E.

At least that's what I remember hearing a while ago, I might be wrong
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #135
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:

It doesn't really make a massive amount of difference: the magnetic disturbances of the strings extend quite far beyond the actual string itself and therefore it isn't really crucial to have the polepieces aligned with the string. The reason for having the polepieces lined up is more cosmetic than anything.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #136
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

The point in slanting the bridge humbucker, like in my Kramer, was to make the strings and pole pieces line up. The low E, A & D strings line up with the screw side, the G runs between the screw and slug and the B & high E line up with the slug side. I don't see as it really makes a difference though. I have a regular spaced pickup in my Epi Korina Explorer and the pole pieces don't line up but, it sounds great. I'm not sure why they slant the bridge single coil in a Strat.

zakkwyldefan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #137
XgamerGt04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwyldefan79
The point in slanting the bridge humbucker, like in my Kramer, was to make the strings and pole pieces line up. The low E, A & D strings line up with the screw side, the G runs between the screw and slug and the B & high E line up with the slug side. I don't see as it really makes a difference though. I have a regular spaced pickup in my Epi Korina Explorer and the pole pieces don't line up but, it sounds great. I'm not sure why they slant the bridge single coil in a Strat.

When the pickups are slanted it should boost some frequencies and reduce others. The idea is that the more string movement you have over your pole piece the stronger a signal should be induced in the electromagnet.

So think of it like this, you have two "fixed" ends for your string, the nut and the bridge. When you pluck the string your largest vibrations occur near the middle of the string. By angling the pickups you get more bass and less treble or vice versa. This is overly simplified as you have all sorts of various harmonics and other things in the string vibration, but it illustrates the point.

In terms of the strat and tele, I believe that was done in order to reduce the treble response of the guitars. I read in a book about telecasters that Leo said you had to angle the pickups to get that "lap steel" sound from a telecaster. I think it also might have had to do with the fact that a lot of the early fender amps didn't really seem to handle extremely bright sounds well from what I've heard.
XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #138
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Slow chat month eh?

Multiple parts arrived today. Both my BV and DSL are apart. New gain pot for the DSL and input jack for the BV.

WGS speakers arrive as well. 2x12 build is slow but steady. Hopefully have 2 of the projects wrapped up this weekend.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #139
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Very slow. I was just saying today that if I hadn't wasted so much money on university and everything, I might have thought about becoming a luthier.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #140
whoomit

Quote:
Very slow. I was just saying today that if I hadn't wasted so much money on university and everything, I might have thought about becoming a luthier.

You should just ask for your money back and then become one.

I made a pedal board today, yay.

Rate This Thread: