Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
chris_MH

Guitar Technique For An Amature

Hello

I am looking for a good website which may be able to help me pick up any bad habits I may have. I do not play electric guitar so it is manly on my acoustic.
I am no pro, but at the same time I am far fast the stage of begginer.

I have never had a teacher so the chances are there are some bad habits in my playing somewhere, for instance, I have developed a finger picking where I use my thumb for the bass notes and the other 3 for the G,B and E, pretty standard stuff there. However, I sometimes I may use my 2nd,3rd and 4th fingers on the bass notes as well as my thumb, to assit the quicker stuff.

that is just one example and really I need website to guide me in the right direction...

Cheers
chris_MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_MH
I have developed a finger picking where I use my thumb for the bass notes and the other 3 for the G,B and E, pretty standard stuff there. However, I sometimes I may use my 2nd,3rd and 4th fingers on the bass notes as well as my thumb, to assit the quicker stuff.

Not a bad habit, Mark Knopfler and Lindsey Buckingham (among others) do the same.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Those fingers being designated to certain strings in my opinion are just guidelines. They're very crucial especially for beginners. You'll notice a lot of advanced fingerstyle players don't follow those guidelines, but they don't really need to because they're not your average fingerstyle guitarists. I'm sure the vast majority of them did once follow those guidelines when they were beginners however.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
MatthiasYoung

The best way to really analyze your technique is to get in front of a qualified guitar instructor. While you can get great tips of what to do and not do from videos (and I recommend them all the time), you might not notice yourself what another will.
MatthiasYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: