Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Angkorthom

How to Tell Chords by listening

Hi all,
Is it possible to tell which chords of a song are when listening to one? I can usually figure out how to play the melody of the song by listening to it but I can't tell which chord to play.

For example, if you listen to a song on YouTube like this one below, is there a way we can tell which chord should be played.

Last edited by Angkorthom : 09-20-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Angkorthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angkorthom
Hi all,
Is it possible to tell which chords of a song are when listening to one? I can usually figure out how to play the melody of the song by listening to it but I can't tell which chord to play.

For example, if you listen to a song on YouTube like this one below, is there a way we can tell which chord should be played.

It's pretty easy if all that is being used are major or minor chords and 7s. You can just listen to the song and find the matching note on the big e string. Then you can differentiate whether it is major or minor and play the barre chord at that spot. Also, if you learn what those notes are on that string you can then say okay this song is E, G, D, C and then you can play that anywhere you learn the chords on the neck.

I am still a beginner though so it's really hard for me to hear some of the other types of chords.

Last edited by mikey85123 : 09-21-2012 at 12:39 AM.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
sea`

Learn the major scale (the whole thing, not one position) and you will have little trouble after a while.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angkorthom
Hi all,

1) Loop the section you're stuck on and just keep trying chords until you get the right one;

2) Do Aural training exercises (e.g. http://www.teoria.com/exercises/index.php)

If you've got perfect pitch you'll probably be able to get to the point where you can identify the exact chords just by listening to the music; if you haven't got perfect pitch you'll probably get the general progression but might have to refer to an instrument to tie it down to a specific key.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Angkorthom

Thanks all for the hints and will try
Angkorthom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: