Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Smile First Audiotion, please help!

I checked the stickies that seemed that may have something like this in them, but found nothing useful... Sorry if this thread has been done 65410650 times. I hope it doesn't.

The thing is like this. Tomorrow I'll be... doinf my first audition! I'm a bassist and i contacted a band which is missing a bassist (through a forum similar to this, but from my country... I'm Argentinian) and they gave me 4 tracks that i should be able to play. They gave me one week for this, and mailed me with the chords played by the guitar so i can have an idea of what everybody is doing (this was asked by myself). The thing is that I have 1 and 1/2 track wrote down in GuitarPro, and I'll have to do this tomorrow at the afternoon. I'm not having any troubles, my parts are really esay, and today is the first day of the week i have time to focus on this (It's been a busy week).

As I understood, the audition (I call it like that, they don't) would consist in playing with them in a rehearsal situation. Also, I don't need to copy what the last bassist did, they told me I could play different lines if i want. But I prefer to learn what the other guy did, and if i stay with the band, i'll add or remove whatever i want...

My questions for you, are the following: Any tip you can give me, since it's the first audition i'll be doing? I played a rehearsal with a friend's band when the bassist couldn't make it, and i also play in a band in my music school, so this isn't really my first band experience, but it's the first time i don't know someone...
Also, should i bring the sheets? I think that it could be nice to do so, so i look like someone that can write music, and that is dedicated, but at the same time, it might look somewhat nerdy, isn't it? (Band's influence is U2, so you can get a rough idea)
Something I shoul avoid? Something i should definetly do? thanks in advance, people!

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2

Last edited by Sudaka : 09-21-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

In no particular order:

1. You're leaving this pretty late, stop fooling around and learn the songs, play with the tracks. I appreciate you say you've been busy, but it's only four songs, and if you can't do that maybe you shouldn't be in a band at all.

2. It's ok to bring charts to the audition. You'll have to because you haven't learnt the songs yet.

3. I wouldn't bother with guitar pro (not sure what you're doing with it), just learn the songs, they already gave you the chords.

4. I wouldn't say the parts are super easy if you haven't learnt the songs yet.

5. You can write your own parts if you want, but you have to learn the songs first.

6. Learn the songs.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
In no particular order:

1. You're leaving this pretty late, stop fooling around and learn the songs, play with the tracks. I appreciate you say you've been busy, but it's only four songs, and if you can't do that maybe you shouldn't be in a band at all.

2. It's ok to bring charts to the audition. You'll have to because you haven't learnt the songs yet.

3. I wouldn't bother with guitar pro (not sure what you're doing with it), just learn the songs, they already gave you the chords.

4. I wouldn't say the parts are super easy if you haven't learnt the songs yet.

5. You can write your own parts if you want, but you have to learn the songs first.

6. Learn the songs.

Good luck!

LOL, i understood i should learn the songs. It's ok, I can and i am learning the songs, don't worry. It's just that writting them helps me. Remember, i have the chords for the guitar, but i play the bass... so i have to tab them (i do that with guitar pro, so i can write them down on a pentagram, which is a lot more helpful than a simple tab). Today is my only day free, so i'll be with this the whole day! I don't plan to get there without having the songs learnt!! Right now, i have 2 down, 2 more to go!

thanks for the advice!

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

If the songs are easy enough for you to knock down, I don't see the big worry. Bringing the sheets might seem nerdy to you, but if it helps, I don't see the big deal. Keep in mind that you probably won't use them in a live situation if it's a rock band, but he fact that you have some sort of background in music theory is definitely a plus and most bands will want to have members who have at least a basic background in music theory so that they don't have to go up the street and around the corner to get you to do a simple ascending walking bass line.
If they are prompting you to come up with some parts, I'd say try it on one of the songs you already know. Have fun with it and good luck
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny bb
If the songs are easy enough for you to knock down, I don't see the big worry. Bringing the sheets might seem nerdy to you, but if it helps, I don't see the big deal. Keep in mind that you probably won't use them in a live situation if it's a rock band, but he fact that you have some sort of background in music theory is definitely a plus and most bands will want to have members who have at least a basic background in music theory so that they don't have to go up the street and around the corner to get you to do a simple ascending walking bass line.
If they are prompting you to come up with some parts, I'd say try it on one of the songs you already know. Have fun with it and good luck

Thanks, and yes, i made some arrengements for my favorite of the four songs. I wrote down 3 of 4, and now i am practicing so i don't get lost playing them... I need to be fully aware of the song's structure... Even though I'm starting to get tired, I'm having a blast with this... I only hope that everything goes well tomorrow!

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Hydra150
not so cowardly

I'm sending you all of my good lucks.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

don't suck
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
LOL, i understood i should learn the songs. It's ok, I can and i am learning the songs, don't worry. It's just that writting them helps me. Remember, i have the chords for the guitar, but i play the bass... so i have to tab them (i do that with guitar pro, so i can write them down on a pentagram, which is a lot more helpful than a simple tab). Today is my only day free, so i'll be with this the whole day! I don't plan to get there without having the songs learnt!! Right now, i have 2 down, 2 more to go!

thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure why you HAVE to tab the parts, but each to their own I guess.

I hate it when I hold auditions and the person hasn't learnt the songs. It equates to an automatic fail and a waste lf my time. I have never had a week where I couldn't find the time to learn songs, and I work late sometimes and have to juggle a number or bands. But if you can't, don't join bands, youll just drag them down.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
I'm not sure why you HAVE to tab the parts, but each to their own I guess.

I hate it when I hold auditions and the person hasn't learnt the songs. It equates to an automatic fail and a waste lf my time. I have never had a week where I couldn't find the time to learn songs, and I work late sometimes and have to juggle a number or bands. But if you can't, don't join bands, youll just drag them down.

Dude, chill out. I said i tab songs because it helps me. I have now 3 out of 4, and i am practicing to know every song by memory. 1 is completely down, one is so so, and the other is to be practiced. I KNOW i can get it with the time i have, if not i would have asked for more time. I worked my ass off today, and i wnet from having only one song wrote down to 3 wrote down, one is great, one is so so and the other must be practiced. I figure that when i go to sleep, I'll have 3 songs nailed, and tomorrow morning I'll wake up, revise them and if i am comfortable with myself, i'll finish writing the one that's left and learn to play it. 4 songs in one week with nothing but the songs and the chords played by an instrument that's not the one you're supposed to play isn't the best situation in the world, and i still think i'm managing to get the work done. Don't worry, i won't be an automatic fail. And if nerves don't crush me, i'll do a good job for sure...

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I'm just giving advice from a more professional standpoint, if you think figuring out songs on the day of the audition is good enough for you, go for it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
^^^ I'm just giving advice from a more professional standpoint, if you think figuring out songs on the day of the audition is good enough for you, go for it.

Mmmh... I get your point. Still, the guys know i am a beginner, they won't be expecting Leland Sklar... I told them that i have no band experience. Still, I'm working my ass off, and i nailed 3 of 4 songs. the fourth i couldn't even trasncribe, but i'll see what i can do. At this point i prefer having 3 well prepared songs than having 4 so so... Also, This is a great experience for me... Not only because of whta may or may not happen tomorrow. Just preparing the songs has been a challenge, and i think i'm doing a good job. Could be better? needless to say, yes. But i think that it's a good job for a beginner like me, and i know that if there's a next audition awaiting for me in the future, I'll have this experience with me, and i'll do better.

I understand your point of view, it's just that from my beginner perspective it was kinda harsh. Still, i want to stop being a beginner, and this is part of that too. I'll talk to the band members in a sincere way, so they know that I have much to learn, but hell i want to do so!

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ You don't have to tell the band anything, your playing will speak for itself.

Note that even in a medium professional level cover band you'd be expected to learn 10+ songs for the audition, and at least another 30 in the next 2 - 3 weeks if you got the gig. Luckily you only have to learn songs once though. It's definitely something you'll have to get control over if you want to develop a good reputation as a muso in your area.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
carmour

Not sure what you're asking for. You have 4 songs to learn and nail, and you have a whole week to do it in? What's the problem? Learn the songs in and out. Write down the song structure if you have to. Play along with it, play it through and have it all perfect before you turn up to rehearsal.

If your ear is any good it makes it a lot easier.

Why are you tabbing it all out? I usually just commit them to memory and have a small cheat sheet for any notes I need. Gets quite easy once you get used to the process. Did 55ish tunes in 2 weeks a few months back.

Last edited by carmour : 09-23-2012 at 09:26 AM.
carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
JAHellraiser

I suppose tabbing them out could help if you haven't heard the song. (I'm assuming it's something like GuitarPro where you can hear what is tabbed out) but it still seems like it could be time put to better use.

inb4 they play the 4th song that you've barely practiced though. Murphy's Law!
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: