Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Winding Pickups - how similar?

I've never tried this before, but need a new pickup for a Stingray clone I'm building, and I've just seen some bobbins with magnets already installed for sale which were originally made by Ernie Ball. They just need wire / winding which I believe can be done quite easily with a drill? What I most need to know though is if I were to buy some and wind them myself, how similar would the sound end up being to one wound by Ernie Ball if I wind the right amount of times / in the right way? I'd really like for it to sound as much like a Stingray as possible when it's done.

I've done some research and did recently find a pre-amp and pickup that together will sound pretty similar, but I need a five string pickup and the one I've found doesn't have a five string version yet. The company is considering making one at some point next year, but if I can wind one that sounds close myself sooner then I think it would be worth trying.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : Actually since I'm typing anyway, does anyone know if unwound bobbins would be subject to import tax etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Last edited by GAPendragon : 09-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
seljer
UG Resident

Winding by hand is a suprise every time. You can ballpark the output level from the number of turns and type of magnet, the thing is you just cant't distribute the wire as evenly as a machine does it which gives different results (which is supposedly leads to a clearer more open sound due to something about inter-winding capacitance).
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

They're alnico magnets if I remember correctly. I guess clearer can't be too bad. And I could always rewind if it sounds too different. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Viban
UG's resident bum

As far as winding goes I've seen people rig a reed switch to the = button on a calculator and just have it do +1 as a counter. And many different things can affect a pickup, wire type, how it is wound, that kind of stuff. Plus there is also the issue of distributed capacitance which affects tone and is affected by space in the coil. However I'm sure you can at least ballpark what you want.

However my advice to you would be to practice winding with some string first so you get a decent hand at it before moving on to the wire because the wire is about $30 a spool on stewmac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro..._Coil_Wire.html

Last edited by Viban : 09-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: