Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
FrauVfromPoB
A Reasonably Talented Guy

Non-Djenty Prog Metal, with a hint of Reggae (C4C)

I just finished banging out a pretty complete version of this song. It's very Cynic influenced (very), as evidenced by the file name and the first riff, but it moves through a number of different styles before ending somewhere in the dark outskirts of Reggaeland. Starting at 113 there's an improvised solo. The guitar-only bit at the end is supposed to fade out. My only concern with it at the moment is that it just kind of goes aimlessly. The transitions work, but they seem to just transition for the sake of playing a different riff, and tend to lack cohesion. They sound ****in' rad though, methinks.

Anyway, tell me what you think, and I'm always down for C4C.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 cynical song.gp5 (89.0 KB, 129 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Lightfoot
I opened the door and went round and round and I banged my head and then my arm fell off.
FrauVfromPoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

I'd say its fairly Genesis/Killing Joke influenced rather than Cynic. Some of the harmonies and basslines have that sort of jazzy feel, but not so much the guitar work.

Does get friggin groovy at 113 though, very nice section there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
FrauVfromPoB
A Reasonably Talented Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
I'd say its fairly Genesis/Killing Joke influenced rather than Cynic. Some of the harmonies and basslines have that sort of jazzy feel, but not so much the guitar work.

Does get friggin groovy at 113 though, very nice section there.

It's funny you should say that because I almost never listen to those bands, although I do kind of see where you're coming from. I do listen to Cynic all the time, though, and the very fist riff sounds extremely similar, although it's played differently, to 0:45 - 1:00 in Cynic's Veil of Maya. That's all I was saying.

Regardless, thanks for the compliments regarding the groovage. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Lightfoot
I opened the door and went round and round and I banged my head and then my arm fell off.
FrauVfromPoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

This is pretty awesome. At first, I wasn't really sure where you were going with the intro, and I thought it was going to be rather stale, but then bar 9 came around and I was like "Nice."

Bar 64 was an awesome transition into the next riff. I love that sort of stuff. I wish you'd repeated those chords at some point in the section, but oh well, it's okay.

Wondering where this buildup at 145 is gonna go...

GODDAMN IT THAT'S THE END OF THE SONG?! It sounded like it could have made a great transition into a reprise of the intro, after fleshing it out a little bit into a crescendo. I don't think a little more length will hurt this song, it has a lot of untapped potential. Very well-written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Great post-grind funk with a touch of sunburn rock, southern jazz and samba crusty blast beat. A must read for every microwave food connoisseur! 10/10

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: