Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Tmusician

Not Enjoying The Music Your Band Plays?

I'm the drummer in a band and we recently got a new lead singer, who especially likes power metal stuff like Europe. What seems to be happening so far, is he is choosing the songs that we learn/play.

Unfortunately it seems to me like a lot of these power metal songs he chooses are really really boring for me on drums. That on top of the fact that I am not very fond of that genre makes me an unhappy cucumber.

What would you suggest I do?
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

Europe ? Tell him ''we are not bodybuilders stuck in the 80's''.

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmusician
power metal stuff like Europe.

Er, well to begin with you can start by telling your lead singer that Europe aren't a power metal band.

Quote:

Change up the pre-written parts so they're more interesting for you to play, talk to the band about maybe doing something that you'd enjoy as well as whatever repertoire you've got going on at the moment? Seems pretty simple to me
Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
RetroGunslinger

Europe are great, fire yourself
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
RetroGunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
TNA

Unfortunately if it seems like that is the new direction your band is taking, then it is probably time to leave. You can try talking to the singer or other band members, but I think at best you're going to get a 50-50 split with playing the power metal stuff. Just be honest with them and say you are leaving because you don't like the music, they should understand.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
I'm the drummer in a band and we recently got a new lead singer, who especially likes power metal stuff like Europe. What seems to be happening so far, is he is choosing the songs that we learn/play.

Unfortunately it seems to me like a lot of these power metal songs he chooses are really really boring for me on drums. That on top of the fact that I am not very fond of that genre makes me an unhappy cucumber.

Well, you have a couple of options:

1) Leave the band.
2) Find ways to make the songs you guys are playing more interesting for you by approaching the drumming in more interesting ways.
3) Bring in songs that you like, and have the band do some of those - accept that you'll be playing some music the singer likes in exchange for playing some of the stuff you like.

Those are really your only options. Pick one.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
JAHellraiser

See how the rest of the band feels first of all. If you're the only one who is not feeling the Europe setlist then it might be time to leave.

If you're not, try to get songs in that the rest of you like. If the singer won't compromise then it probably won't work out. Also, try to change the drum parts of the songs you find boring to something you find more interesting.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
Tmusician

Alright I'm going to try to see if everybody else is in love with the power metal songs and if not be like "let's all bring in a song" or something like that. Then I'll also try to make the boring songs more interesting by doing some different stuff, that's a good idea.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Alright I'm going to try to see if everybody else is in love with the power metal songs and if not be like "let's all bring in a song" or something like that. Then I'll also try to make the boring songs more interesting by doing some different stuff, that's a good idea.

This is the right path. The only person who makes a song boring is you, and only you can change it. You can do this either by writing more "interesting" parts, or by sitting back and simply listening to the music, feeling the groove. I personally find that if a band is tight, it's fun regardless of how "interesting" your part is.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
This is the right path. The only person who makes a song boring is you, and only you can change it. You can do this either by writing more "interesting" parts, or by sitting back and simply listening to the music, feeling the groove. I personally find that if a band is tight, it's fun regardless of how "interesting" your part is.

This.

I've been in several bands over the years and probably only 1 or 2 of them did the sort of music I really want to play. The rest I was in purely for the love of playing & performing - just because it wasn't what I really wanted to play didn't make it any less enjoyable.

So long as you have a good time playing and enjoy the company of your band you should just dive in head first and go for it.

Also remember that if you quit and find a band that plays the stuff you prefer, you may end up regretting it because you don't get on with the other guys as well as your current band.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
RadioMuse

Find a way to make it work unless you're having personality conflicts. There's always room in 4/4 beats to spice things up for your entertainment; so long as it doesn't throw everyone else off. It's wise to do your own takes on covers, and to combine your approaches on original songs, so things needn't be exactly as they were before.

Hopefully everyone can get behind that.
RadioMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Tmusician

Well I've been trudging through.... I already started making the songs my own, coming up with drum parts that I think are much better and more fun.

But of course everybody is like "you really need to learn the song" and have me listen to the song again. I was like "yeah this is different, but what is wrong with what I was doing?" and then we just got back to playing, but it seems like they don't like me having fun and creative....
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
HotspurJr

Quote:
Well I've been trudging through.... I already started making the songs my own, coming up with drum parts that I think are much better and more fun.

But of course everybody is like "you really need to learn the song" and have me listen to the song again. I was like "yeah this is different, but what is wrong with what I was doing?" and then we just got back to playing, but it seems like they don't like me having fun and creative....

I think it's time for you to have a conversation about this with them. The subject of the conversation is "How do we help make this interesting for me?"

But it's possible that the result of the conversation is "This is the wrong band for me. Thanks, guys."

If you approach this in an adult way, with a civil conversation, then if you end up leaving the band you will do so in a way which allows you to still be friends with these guys or to play with them later in other circumstances if you so desire.

If you don't, you'll probably still end up leaving the band, but there will be bad feelings.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
ma_tt11
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGunslinger
Europe are great, fire yourself

This

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
ma_tt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #15
91RG350

Quote:

Theres the band member who knows most of the song and adds their own bits and pieces to it while retaining the integrity of the original

Theres the band member who can play the song in power chords and pays little heed to the ensemble aspect of being in a band

One of these two types ends up being a banned member
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:

Err, you forfeit "creative" when you joined the cover band dude. The point is that the pub can't hire the original band so they hired you instead, and hopefully you can get as close to the original as possible.

Sure there's some leeway here and there, but if what you're doing is loosing the character and feel of the original, that's just serving your own interests rather than being a team player in a band.

For this reason I am in both cover bands and original bands. Different approaches to playing the instrument. You can learn a lot by learning other musician's parts note-for-note, and you can learn a lot by developing your own parts. Either way if the band is good and tight, it should be fun regardless of "how interesting" your part is (I'm assuming it means lots of double kick with fills).

Last but not least, learn the songs. I just kicked a drummer for not learning songs. It could happen to you too.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Tmusician

Honestly being kicked out right now might be the best thing for me. I was told that we would be an originals band but we are "starting out"with covers, and that was a year ago. I was not doing double kick with lots of fills, but for example "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath, the drums feel really slow to me. Some people like that, but I don't. I added cymbal accents with some words "I* AM* I* RON* MAN* and the feel is faster but it's the same tempo.

I really don't want to be in a classic rock cover band, I never did. Should I send them all a message saying that?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

They'd probably think more of you if you were to actually talk to them and tell them in person rather than just sending a message.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
They'd probably think more of you if you were to actually talk to them and tell them in person rather than just sending a message.

This!

You will discover, in life, that you get farther faster if you can have civil conversations about this stuff. This doesn't have to be a situation of someone quitting or getting thrown out.

TALK TO THEM. IN PERSON.

It's entirely possible other bandmembers feels the way you do. You'll never know unless you have this conversation.

Be an adult about it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Honestly being kicked out right now might be the best thing for me. I was told that we would be an originals band but we are "starting out"with covers, and that was a year ago. I was not doing double kick with lots of fills, but for example "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath, the drums feel really slow to me. Some people like that, but I don't. I added cymbal accents with some words "I* AM* I* RON* MAN* and the feel is faster but it's the same tempo.

I really don't want to be in a classic rock cover band, I never did. Should I send them all a message saying that?

As people said above, not via text message. Do it in person, at the end of next practice would bring a good tIme/place to do it. Although if you can't wait that long, over the phone (as in a phone call, not text message) is fine.

Rate This Thread: