Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Ghost681
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Losing my musical drive

Can anyone help me? I play both drums and guitar pretty well, I'm on my fifth year and the first four years were awesome. I would come home from school and play guitar for 2 hours then slam on the drums for another 2. Two years ago in the spring time, I decided to grow out my hair, and no bullshit I got great when I did it. Last october I cut my hair and soon after it seemed I lost my drive. I went from a year and a half binge of the red hot chili peppers to playing some dave matthews here, and a little pink floyd there. I play guitar a few DAYS a week and it kills me. I still drum but now in increments of like 30 minutes which is a big drop from two hours. I'll often stare at my guitars and just get pissed off because when I finally pick it up to play it, halfway through whatever I'm doing I seem to have no fun and I just put it down. Music is the ONLY thing I love, my only real hobby, and the only thing I enjoy a lot. All my friends are into sports and all that other jazz or they think they're into music, but they tell me I'm the most musical person they know. I still break the songs down when I listen to music, I still have the love and passion for it, just not to play it. Can anyone please help me, I don't know what to do.
Ghost681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
do you actually have any knowledge or understanding of music

or was it all in your hair
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
 
J-Dawg158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Do you ever jam with other people? If not then find someone else that plays and just invite them over to play sometime.
__________________
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
You shouldn't have cut your hair. You'll have to wait for 2 or so years until your awesomeness returns.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Slashiepie
Banged
 
Slashiepie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Dude, why do you think all those metal guys have long hair ? Frank Gambalee lost his hair and he sucks nowadays... you better hurry up and grow it back, you are harming your progress.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
What got you into music to begin with? Sounds to me like you need to go back to that and get re-inspired.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
So, long hair = awesome playing? You may want to rethink that one, TS. Trust me, your long hair had nothing to do with your ability. If anything, it may've impeded your hearing, so you didn't hear the mistakes.

As some others have suggested, either go back and find that which fueled your passion, or find a new hobby.

Have you considered basket weaving? Those doing it claim they got better after they got dentures and gray hair.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
 
Danjo's Guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Socorro, NM (aka New Mexico Tech)
Change something up. Funny that you're coming off a huge Chili Peppers binge, because I'm in the middle of one, and I've found john frusciante's playing is actually what has brought me back to being interested in music again. Maybe you need a huge change in genre, because before the Chili Peppers I mostly listened to Ozzy and other classic rock stuff (I still do, but a lot of that gets too cheesy and ridiculous to me after a while now).

Or work on songwriting and recording, which are also getting me interested in learning and playing again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150


Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Darth_Pietrus
I like bewbs
 
Darth_Pietrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Breda, The Netherlands
Try starting or joining a band. That keeps you motivated and usually expands your field as not everyone wants to play the same stuff as you.
__________________
What's the point of Signatures...
Darth_Pietrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Ghost681
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
What motivated me to learn was my friend taught me how to play one by metallica and i thought it was the coolest thing because I was playing guitar hero at the time. I started by playing everything, Metallica, Zeppelin, ACDC, cinderella... literally everything. I one day just went crazy on the peppers, decided to grow my hair out, and began learning all of their songs. I know it wasn't the hair that made me get good, it was the hours I spent everyday practicing. Losing the hair literally killed my motivation. It's not as long as it was its only down to my eyes now but I don't want it all back, and I cannot pick a different hobby. NOTHING in this world can touch the satisfaction I used to get when I'd play guitar and now I just don't feel it and it ****ing hurts. I just got done playing drums, I played two songs and then I threw my sticks at the wall and I'm freaking out because this sucks so much. Life is so shitty but I always figured, at least I've got music. Now I've got nothing but a shitty life, what good is that?
Ghost681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Slashiepie
Banged
 
Slashiepie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bs just get a Hairwig
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost681
What motivated me to learn was my friend taught me how to play one by metallica and i thought it was the coolest thing because I was playing guitar hero at the time. I started by playing everything, Metallica, Zeppelin, ACDC, cinderella... literally everything. I one day just went crazy on the peppers, decided to grow my hair out, and began learning all of their songs. I know it wasn't the hair that made me get good, it was the hours I spent everyday practicing. Losing the hair literally killed my motivation. It's not as long as it was its only down to my eyes now but I don't want it all back, and I cannot pick a different hobby. NOTHING in this world can touch the satisfaction I used to get when I'd play guitar and now I just don't feel it and it ****ing hurts. I just got done playing drums, I played two songs and then I threw my sticks at the wall and I'm freaking out because this sucks so much. Life is so shitty but I always figured, at least I've got music. Now I've got nothing but a shitty life, what good is that?


You should see a therapist man. You sound depressed. People on the internet are either going to be nice but unhelpful, or mean and unhelpful. Either way, you should go see a professional about your feelings. They don't sound healthy.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
You should see a therapist man. You sound depressed. People on the internet are either going to be nice but unhelpful, or mean and unhelpful. Either way, you should go see a professional about your feelings. They don't sound healthy.



He is definitely right. The internet is a bad place to get good advice or decent help. I would also encourage you to seek some professional help. Sounds like you have a lot more going on that you're letting on.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.