Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Ghost681

Losing my musical drive

Can anyone help me? I play both drums and guitar pretty well, I'm on my fifth year and the first four years were awesome. I would come home from school and play guitar for 2 hours then slam on the drums for another 2. Two years ago in the spring time, I decided to grow out my hair, and no bullshit I got great when I did it. Last october I cut my hair and soon after it seemed I lost my drive. I went from a year and a half binge of the red hot chili peppers to playing some dave matthews here, and a little pink floyd there. I play guitar a few DAYS a week and it kills me. I still drum but now in increments of like 30 minutes which is a big drop from two hours. I'll often stare at my guitars and just get pissed off because when I finally pick it up to play it, halfway through whatever I'm doing I seem to have no fun and I just put it down. Music is the ONLY thing I love, my only real hobby, and the only thing I enjoy a lot. All my friends are into sports and all that other jazz or they think they're into music, but they tell me I'm the most musical person they know. I still break the songs down when I listen to music, I still have the love and passion for it, just not to play it. Can anyone please help me, I don't know what to do.
Ghost681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

do you actually have any knowledge or understanding of music

or was it all in your hair
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Do you ever jam with other people? If not then find someone else that plays and just invite them over to play sometime.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

You shouldn't have cut your hair. You'll have to wait for 2 or so years until your awesomeness returns.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Slashiepie
Banged

Dude, why do you think all those metal guys have long hair ? Frank Gambalee lost his hair and he sucks nowadays... you better hurry up and grow it back, you are harming your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

What got you into music to begin with? Sounds to me like you need to go back to that and get re-inspired.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

So, long hair = awesome playing? You may want to rethink that one, TS. Trust me, your long hair had nothing to do with your ability. If anything, it may've impeded your hearing, so you didn't hear the mistakes.

As some others have suggested, either go back and find that which fueled your passion, or find a new hobby.

Have you considered basket weaving? Those doing it claim they got better after they got dentures and gray hair.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Change something up. Funny that you're coming off a huge Chili Peppers binge, because I'm in the middle of one, and I've found john frusciante's playing is actually what has brought me back to being interested in music again. Maybe you need a huge change in genre, because before the Chili Peppers I mostly listened to Ozzy and other classic rock stuff (I still do, but a lot of that gets too cheesy and ridiculous to me after a while now).

Or work on songwriting and recording, which are also getting me interested in learning and playing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Darth_Pietrus
I like bewbs

Try starting or joining a band. That keeps you motivated and usually expands your field as not everyone wants to play the same stuff as you.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Ghost681

What motivated me to learn was my friend taught me how to play one by metallica and i thought it was the coolest thing because I was playing guitar hero at the time. I started by playing everything, Metallica, Zeppelin, ACDC, cinderella... literally everything. I one day just went crazy on the peppers, decided to grow my hair out, and began learning all of their songs. I know it wasn't the hair that made me get good, it was the hours I spent everyday practicing. Losing the hair literally killed my motivation. It's not as long as it was its only down to my eyes now but I don't want it all back, and I cannot pick a different hobby. NOTHING in this world can touch the satisfaction I used to get when I'd play guitar and now I just don't feel it and it ****ing hurts. I just got done playing drums, I played two songs and then I threw my sticks at the wall and I'm freaking out because this sucks so much. Life is so shitty but I always figured, at least I've got music. Now I've got nothing but a shitty life, what good is that?
Ghost681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Slashiepie
Banged

Bs just get a Hairwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost681
What motivated me to learn was my friend taught me how to play one by metallica and i thought it was the coolest thing because I was playing guitar hero at the time. I started by playing everything, Metallica, Zeppelin, ACDC, cinderella... literally everything. I one day just went crazy on the peppers, decided to grow my hair out, and began learning all of their songs. I know it wasn't the hair that made me get good, it was the hours I spent everyday practicing. Losing the hair literally killed my motivation. It's not as long as it was its only down to my eyes now but I don't want it all back, and I cannot pick a different hobby. NOTHING in this world can touch the satisfaction I used to get when I'd play guitar and now I just don't feel it and it ****ing hurts. I just got done playing drums, I played two songs and then I threw my sticks at the wall and I'm freaking out because this sucks so much. Life is so shitty but I always figured, at least I've got music. Now I've got nothing but a shitty life, what good is that?

You should see a therapist man. You sound depressed. People on the internet are either going to be nice but unhelpful, or mean and unhelpful. Either way, you should go see a professional about your feelings. They don't sound healthy.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
You should see a therapist man. You sound depressed. People on the internet are either going to be nice but unhelpful, or mean and unhelpful. Either way, you should go see a professional about your feelings. They don't sound healthy.

He is definitely right. The internet is a bad place to get good advice or decent help. I would also encourage you to seek some professional help. Sounds like you have a lot more going on that you're letting on.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: