Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
ZILtoid_1991

Getting my first more serious guitar

Currently I have an older Ibanez GRX40 with heavy modifications. I swapped the humbucker pickup to a Sublime Tiger's Roar, it has my balanced wiring mod, the neck pocket was cleared out, the pot-metal bridge was blocked. But I still has issues with the guitar, mostly because the worn frets, alrought the sound is now usable with the new pickup and some settings on the amp side.

I'll get a job which pays a lot (I'll be a programmer). I thinking on getting either a new Ibanez or an used one (not necessarly Ibanez). I thinking about to get an Ibanez RG870Z but some people told me stay away from new guitars and buy an old Japanese superstrat (at least they didn't suggested me a Les Paul ). My choose from this category is RG550 or RG570 by far, I'll also dig up that beautiful S modell I saw in a catalog around 2002 (it had a green top).

I wait for some other suggestions. I need a humbucker in the bridge at least, a slim neck (no Schecters), I open for both a usable trem or for a fixed bridge (no TOMs if possible), it's also not impossible that I'll buy a seven stringed instrument. I'll chage the pickups to Sublimes without hesistation.

Also some folk said to stay away from the new Edge Zero tremolo. What's the problem with them? (maybe he just was a tremolophobic guy?)
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

We need the:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Thread
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you can get a japanese-made one, i'd do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
ZILtoid_1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
We need the:

Budget: Around 600 , maybe even more (if I find a really good one).

Genres: Mostly Progressive metal, tuned to D and drop-C (drop-C will be done either with an other guitar or with the help of a tremol-no or ZPS). Also I do some Death metal and other genres. Favourite guitarists: John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, Bulb, Dime, Chuck Schuldiner, etc. I obliviously need cleans, I'll choose the replacement pickups to have a good soud when in split coil (especially if I buy a guitar with HSH pickups for some strat like soud in the 2nd and 4th position).

New or used: Either. I like old Ibanez guitars, but I'll test some of the current models at shops or at the Soundquest (instrument expo in Hungary) for the Edge Zero.

Home or gig: Currently home, later I'll form a band as I move to Budapest.

Closest city: Budapest, Hungary. I'll also look at the e-bay and the sevenstring.org for guitars, alrought shipping would be a problem.

Current rig: The Ibanez GRX40 w/ the Sublime (will be used as an alt tuning guitar in the future), an E-Mu Tracker pre soundcard, Peavey ReValver III.V. Later I'll get a 6505+ used or a Makos Hatred (Ola tested one if you want to hear it) when I get a band.
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: