Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
ikey_

true. but in general i feel the higher gain heads seem to be the most trouble. i cant remember the last time i heard anything bad about a V series.

most of the major issues and catching fire is over with though it seems. thats a fairly bad rep to have though. more like a stigmata amongst guitarists.

....and for the record, the 2 most commonly broken amp brand i seen is marshall.

some marshall owner somewhere is complaining about something all the time (meh, it needs a tuneup, meh the reverb tank is jacked, meh the tube socket is loose.....)
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)

Last edited by ikey_ : 09-24-2012 at 09:30 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I love how the fact that some work totally justifies the comical amount that don't.

At the end of the day you're still supporting a shit company with shit practices, who blatantly copy schematics and aesthetics, and then make as bad a reproduction as they can get away with, because as long as most of them work then people will support them. Behringer are scumbags.

If their business practices don't bother you, then fine, that's your agenda.

Also, that whole numbers thing is bullshit. There is no way in hell that a proportional amount of Peaveys break compared to Bugera. I don't know what threads you're reading, but most if not all of the DOA amp threads I've seen have been about Bugeras. Tube failure doesn't count - that's normal. I'm talking about when someone does a full retube on their Bugera and the shit either doesn't turn on or burns out again in 5 minutes.

And there's also the fact that you can kick a Peavey off of a full stack and pick it back up and keep playing. Try that with a Bugera.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
gumbilicious
beginner

meh, numbers

i ain't buying no bugera, the ones i have played are just not impressive.

mind you, if i could go back in time to my high school or early college years, i'd probably buy a bugera immediately

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

Also, that whole numbers thing is bullshit. <SNIP>
And there's also the fact that you can kick a Peavey off of a full stack and pick it back up and keep playing. Try that with a Bugera.

I can't change your mind, nor do I care to, but let's not ignore the available facts because we don't like what they represent?

As for the second, I haven't done that.

Have you?

Why?

As for 'business practices', are you serious with the concern about copying?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #26
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

They certainly have their place in the market and they're certainly here to stay. They sound average and give the opportunity to younger players to afford a tube amp.

Would I buy one? No, never. Yes they have issues, yes they can be fixed, but reliability is a big selling point to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
once you get past the early phase where most of the manufacturing problems show up, they aren't too bad. A bit less sturdy than other brands, but they aren't as bad as they are made out to be. To me, I'd get a used bugera before I'd get a new one because it's past most of those early problems and if it's lasted someone 6 - 12 months until they got sick of having their amp bashed all the time it's probably going to be alright, and top for the price. Just remember that people who are unhappy with a product often come to the internet to bitch about it (even on multiple forums), it's a lot rarer for someone to go around saying how great a piece of gear is, because they're happy with it.

most of this I believe to be true

i don't have access to failure rates.

i do believe that we get a fair amount of dying Bugera threads here because UG is popular with the younger 'metal' crowd that happen to have lower budgets for amps .

yes I did start a collection of statements made from Bugera owners on here - but that was mainly to point out that the Bugera Bandwagon of 'hey all the issues are fixed now' simply was not true.

good day

PS I quite liked the V22
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Facts based on what? On the flip side, I'd accuse you of hiding behind numbers instead of looking at the obvious issues. We don't get threads about Peaveys randomly shitting the bed for no reason. More importantly, we don't get thread about any amps literally burning inside. Behringer are not newcomers to the musical instrument market, they know what the hell they're doing. The fact that they let their amps ship with plastic clips says a lot about them.

I haven't done that. It was an exaggerated example. I have seen stacks get bumped into and seen 6505s fall off. And yes, they were fine. I know other people here have witnessed the same thing as well (and I've heard about amps fallout of of the back of trucks and being fine).

It's fine to make an amp that is very closely based off of something else. There's isn't a whole lot to do in the amp world - most amps are based off of other amps, and there really aren't that many different kinds of basic amp.

However, when you copy an amp, you should try to bring something new, some new additional feature to the table.

Bugera doesn't even ****ing try to do that. They copy the amp exactly, they copy the aesthetics of the amp almost completely, and they even make a mockery out of the names of the amps they are copying. No respect whatsoever for them. Like I said before - they're scumbags.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Facts based on what? On the flip side, I'd accuse you of hiding behind numbers instead of looking at the obvious issues. We don't get threads about Peaveys randomly shitting the bed for no reason. More importantly, we don't get thread about any amps literally burning inside. Behringer are not newcomers to the musical instrument market, they know what the hell they're doing. The fact that they let their amps ship with plastic clips says a lot about them.

I haven't done that. It was an exaggerated example. I have seen stacks get bumped into and seen 6505s fall off. And yes, they were fine. I know other people here have witnessed the same thing as well (and I've heard about amps fallout of of the back of trucks and being fine).

It's fine to make an amp that is very closely based off of something else. There's isn't a whole lot to do in the amp world - most amps are based off of other amps, and there really aren't that many different kinds of basic amp.

However, when you copy an amp, you should try to bring something new, some new additional feature to the table.

Bugera doesn't even ****ing try to do that. They copy the amp exactly, they copy the aesthetics of the amp almost completely, and they even make a mockery out of the names of the amps they are copying. No respect whatsoever for them. Like I said before - they're scumbags.

As you wish.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #30
Chiggity

I bought a used Bugera 1960, the Marshall 59 Superlead clone almost a year ago. I paid $250 for it including tax and shipping, honestly it sounds pretty good it does exactly what I want it to do but I made damn sure I got the repair plan for it. It hasn't given me any sign of trouble at all, it hasn't been gigged yet but it has been through a lot of very long rehearsals and performed better than expected.

Having said that with all the posts about reliability and whatnot I'm still extremely cautious when it comes to Bugera. From what I've read most of the reliability issues are with the higher gain models, which technically the 1960 is marketed as "high gain" but for my purposes I never crank it into overdrive. For one thing its too loud without an attenuator which I don't need, and secondly I use it as a clean platform and let my stomp boxes do the rest.

For me a new set of tubes, having a reliable tech, making sure everything is biased correctly, and being careful with my equipment certainly helps prolong the life of all my gear and honestly if it dies I wouldn't say I was surprised, I paid more for my Fender Super Champ than I did the 1960.

Would I recommend Bugera, if your budget is very tight maybe I'd definitely say get any kind of warranty or service plan available. I'm never going to gig with this thing without a backup, that's just common sense. I'm all about cheap gear my four main guitars are 2 Epiphone Les Pauls and 2 Squier strats, a classic vibe and vintage modified along with a few Joyo pedals.

All in all with any kind of gear there is always a buyer be ware which in the case is certainly something I strongly emphasize. Hope this helps.
Chiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #31
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If the amp is just going to sit there and never be moved a Bugera is probably a pretty safe choice. If you are a gigging muso forget about it. That is pretty true of just about everything Behringer make. Their mixers will last for years in a home studio; take it on the road and it will be dead in a month.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #32
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
thats a fairly bad rep to have though. more like a stigmata amongst guitarists.

Stigma?

Quote:
Facts based on what?

Thomann's failure rates are posted on their site. Go see for yourself.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

I'd much rather have a Bugera than a Marshall MG50HDX or whatever the hell they're called these days.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I like my Bugera, but it was not what I would call sturdy. Sounded pretty amazing, but I was always super delicate with it, it always felt like everything was loose no matter how much I tightened it. It is a trend I noticed with most of them, which is why I tend to recommend against them for a gigger. I would say a lot of cheaper amps are like that, my 6505+ is definitely not as robust as the head.

I also bought mine used, specifically from someone who fixed the clip and replaced the tubes to make sure I didn't have to do the same. It is hard to deny that we do see a lot of these amps with various issues, but of course it is hard to say if that is user error or if it is all QC. I don't know for sure but I am with Cath: If it is going to chill at the crib for its lifespan, why not, but don't expect to toss it around from gig to gig.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: