Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
jacko_17
Jack.

Ibanez Tube Screamer variations?

Hi.

I've been looking to get a new distortion pedal and been looking at the Ibanez Tube Screamer. However, I seem to find different variations of the same pedal (e.g. this http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...254_image_0.jpg and this http://www.jazzguitar.be/images/oth...be_screamer.jpg)

Was wondering if someone could inform me of the major differences between the variations and which ones are better in their opinion?

Thanks
jacko_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

there is literaly 2 resistors of diff values between the TS-9 and the TS-808. most people won't beable to tell a diffrence. TS-9DX has a few diff tonal options to choose from.

I have 2 TS type clones a Digitech Bad Monkey and a GFS greenie classic. I like both better than the Ibanez TS-9 and they are 1/2 the price
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
jacko_17
Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
there is literaly 2 resistors of diff values between the TS-9 and the TS-808. most people won't beable to tell a diffrence. TS-9DX has a few diff tonal options to choose from.

I have 2 TS type clones a Digitech Bad Monkey and a GFS greenie classic. I like both better than the Ibanez TS-9 and they are 1/2 the price

OK thanks for the help, what issues do you have with the Ibanez?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
sea`

First off, the Tube Screamer is not a distortion pedal. It is a pedal designed to simulate (and accentuate) the sound of an overdriven tube amplifier. It's often used along with a tube amp's built-in distortion to further saturate the tone and add some nice rich harmonics to it, but it is not in itself going to give you anything close to even classic rock distortion unless you are using it to overdrive a tube amp. If you want to play hard rock or metal, you will still need an amp capable of that - the Tube Screamer will just "sweeten" the tone.

See here for an example of the classic TS9 sound:

That said, the difference between the TS9 and TS808 is very small. As Robbgnarly said above, the difference in terms of hardware is mostly negligible, and most people cannot even tell the difference. The TS808 has a smoother and slightly more transparent and "open" tone. The TS9 has a bit more gain on tap and sounds a bit growlier.

It's generally not worth getting the Ibanez models. They are overpriced when you can get literally the exact same pedal under different brand names. I have a GFS Greenie Classic as well, it was $50 and it's an excellent, well-made pedal that sounds just as good as any Tube Screamer, and you can find Bad Monkeys, also excellent (but slightly "harsher" sounding) for $40-50 as well. There are tons of other "high end" copies like the Green Rhino which are still cheaper than the real thing.

Last edited by sea` : 09-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko_17
OK thanks for the help, what issues do you have with the Ibanez?

Thanks

The Ibanez cuts too much bass out for my tastes. The bad Monkey has a bass and treble knob not just a single tone knob, so you can keep more of your lows.

The GFS Greenie has a 3 position switch that lets it act like a TS-9 TS-808 and a moded TS-9. I always keep the switch on the fat setting because it doesn't cut quite as much bass.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
jacko_17
Jack.

Ok so I'm not feeling much love for the Tube Screamer. Maybe if I give some details of the kind of sound I'm going for then could people suggest some pedals for me?

I usually play Indie Rock music, so I'm looking for a sound similar to that of The Enemy, The Strokes or Arctic Monkeys. I play through a Fender Deluxe.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Ok so I'm not feeling much love for the Tube Screamer. Maybe if I give some details of the kind of sound I'm going for then could people suggest some pedals for me?

I usually play Indie Rock music, so I'm looking for a sound similar to that of The Enemy, The Strokes or Arctic Monkeys. I play through a Fender Deluxe.

If you use the TS or TS clone type pedal as a boost you'll get to those levels of "distortion".
What you do is crank the level control all the way, gain at 0-1 and tone to taste. You are then using the TS to boost your signal and will acheve a mich higher gain sound than your fender can do on its own.

The TS-9 and 808 are great pedals, but not for everybody. and like said above you can get some of the Clones for $50ish new.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
sea`

Quote:

Listening to samples of those bands, the Tube Screamer would probably do what you want, though I don't know specifically what gear the bands use. You could use it either as a boost to overdrive your amp or turn it up its gain to get a good lead tone.

Just be aware that a Tube Screamer won't give you anything much harder than dirty blues or less-distorted classic rock tones on its own. You probably won't be able to play punk with it by itself, for instance. It's an awesome pedal but it generally won't completely make your tone for you, it'll only improve and build on what's already there.

Considering you have a Fender Deluxe you should already be able to get 75% of the way there with that amp towards the tone those bands use, so a Tube Screamer would probably push it over the edge to where you want it.

Last edited by sea` : 09-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Tube screamers are one of, if not the the most modded pedals on the planet. The main reason for that is the way they cut the bass. Things like the Bad Monkey and the Green Rhino negate the need to do this because they offer some control over the bass response.
If reducing bass is a bonus then the Ibanez tubescreamer is exactly the box for the job - however you can buy a clone for a fraction of the price. A Joyo Vintage Overdrive is the same circuit for only $40 on Amazon.
If you want a tubescreamer with a bass control buy a Bad Monkey, if you want a standard one just buy the Joyo.

And to reiterate, the difference between a TS-9 and a TS-808 is inaudible, the housing is the only functional difference.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea`
First off, the Tube Screamer is not a distortion pedal.

There is no concrete nomenclature system... So that statement cannot be true. (Or false.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea`
That said, the difference between the TS9 and TS808 is very small. As Robbgnarly said above, the difference in terms of hardware is mostly negligible, and most people cannot even tell the difference. The TS808 has a smoother and slightly more transparent and "open" tone. The TS9 has a bit more gain on tap and sounds a bit growlier.

Everyone with the knowledge to break down and analyze a circuit that I've talked to has said there is no difference to be heard.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
jacko_17
Jack.

Anyone tried the Seymour Duncan classic twin tube distortion pedal? Miles Kane has one I think and I quite like his sound.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Haven't tried it, and don't know who Miles Kane is... But I'd venture to guess that his sound is more about the amp he uses than a pedal. Often times people think 'so and so used this pedal, I'll sound just like him!' and forget the $4k amp he runs the pedal into.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

He uses an AC30, one of the expensive hand wired ones.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
There is no concrete nomenclature system... So that statement cannot be true. (Or false.)

Everyone with the knowledge to break down and analyze a circuit that I've talked to has said there is no difference to be heard.

Anyone who says theres an audible difference from an 808 to a 9 is full of shit. Its all in their head. I doubt they could even tell the difference in a blind test.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There can be more difference between two supposedly identical TS-9's than between most TS9 and TS808's.
I think that's what it is. People hear two back to back and assume that they are all different in the same way and don't realise that two TS9's would be just as likely to be different to the same degree or even more. They aren't exactly high precision devices.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There can be more difference between two supposedly identical TS-9's than between most TS9 and TS808's.
I think that's what it is. People hear two back to back and assume that they are all different in the same way and don't realise that two TS9's would be just as likely to be different to the same degree or even more. They aren't exactly high precision devices.

Yup. And the differences are even more exaggerated when you're comparing the old ones with tolerances of 20+%. I've owned an original 808 that was just gainy as a mother****er.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: