Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
MetalRock4ever
I just love quoting stuff

Do you get tired of the old bands...?

When I say 'old bands' I mean Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc. This is for everyone (those who listen to them and those who don't). This is not an opportunity to slam people, but merely whether you're a bit tired of them. For example, the recent 'Best metal song', or whatever it was, on UG was completely dominated by the 'old bands'. Do you feel that other bands should be given a chance in these votes or do you think that nothing tops them?
Discuss...
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Shakespeare - Macbeth
MetalRock4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Steve08

Old generally surpasses the new in almost all circumstances... so no.

(but, we are not thinking of the same "old" )

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Steyr9001

Yes and no.

I think it's kind of important to give to older bands the credit they deserve, and in my honest opinion bands like maiden and priest really do have a lot better material than most "modern" metal bands.

That being said, I also agree that it's stupid and repetitive to live exclusively in the past. Especially when it comes to music. As a result I tend to separate my interest in bands based on the era that they were/are prominent in. When someone asks me what bands I'm into I usually reply "old bands or newer ones?" and then answer accordingly.

Hearing about how awesome hollowed be thy name is for the 50th time can get a little annoying, but on the other hand hollwed be thy name is a pretty awesome song.
Steyr9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

I don't think timeframe should be considered. Overall quality irrespective of how old they are.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
I don't think timeframe should be considered. Overall quality irrespective of how old they are.

Pretty much this. Older bands deserve their credit for creating the foundations of heavy metal but they are still the best for a reason.

Currently listening to "Metal Storm/Face the Slayer" and I feel the riffs just blow newer releases out of the water.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Darkness in Zero
BIG SIG 2 ADVERTISE TUNES

While the older bands definitely deserve respect for the genres and timeless songs they created, I personally find a lot of newer bands to be doing really exciting stuff. However, for each good new metal band, you also get Asking Alexandria-esque bands, so it is understandable that newer metal as a whole gets slammed.

CHECK OUT MAH TUNES!!!
http://www.facebook.com/darknessinzeroband
Darkness in Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Laith5

They are the pioneers of the genre who have influenced all of the 'new' bands that currently exist. It isn't their fault that their stuff which was written in the 80s and 90s is a lot better than what is being written now - it is up to the current bands to step up and make music good enough to detract attention from bands like Metallica, Maiden etc.

I also hate the argument with people about 80s guitarists being technically inferior to modern day players with idiots who don't understand that the 80s guitarists pushed the boundaries of playing to the points where modern day guitarists can now absorb their lessons and push it even further.

Iommi isn't a technical genius but f*****g hell can he write riffs!!

I personally won't ever get sick of listening to classic rock and classic metal albums

Last edited by Laith5 : 09-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Laith5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

**** yes, I got bored. Maiden and Sabbath still work for me, Paranoid and MoR are still listenable on occasion, but the old offers little these days: its already been tapped out long before we even tried. Looking backwards is almost never the way forwards, unless you're looking for the roots of your inspiration.

Most of the new sounds like the old, just computerised and streamlined to a certain formula, or 'revised', then computerised and streamlined. But depends on your source of new and old. Current underground music is almost always going to be more musically fulfilling than whatever is the highest selling album this week, and that has been the case in any decade for any genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness in Zero
While the older bands definitely deserve respect for the genres and timeless songs they created, I personally find a lot of newer bands to be doing really exciting stuff. However, for each good new metal band, you also get Asking Alexandria-esque bands, so it is understandable that newer metal as a whole gets slammed.

For every old band that people still worship, there existed a band just as shitty as current Asking Alexandria type bands. Bad bands have always existed, it's just that nobody remembers them.
Originally Posted by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
GodofCheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
MetalRock4ever
I just love quoting stuff

Yes, I understand what you guys talk about when I say 'old'. I just didn't know how to class those bands. I could call them classics, but then some may argue whether they are... Well, I only want to know opinions =)
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Shakespeare - Macbeth
MetalRock4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith5
make music good enough to detract attention from bands like Metallica, Maiden etc.

Er, there are quite a few bands better than those two. They haven't detracted attention away from the mainstream canon of metal bands because having a position in the canon has slight if any relation to quality.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

I rarely get permanently tired of the bands I like, but it's not uncommon for me to just not be in the mood for particular bands.

This, IMO, is why it's a good idea to have broader musical tastes, both by listening to different styles of music and listening to several different takes on the same style. Want traditional metal, but not in the mood for Iron Maiden? That's cool, I can turn to Christian Mistress or Motorhead or Dawnbringer or Slough Feg or Manilla Road instead. Don't want traditional metal? Well, I've got a lot of prog, psych, some jazz, funk, and hip-hop, some neofolk, and a little electronic... oh yeah, and every other style of metal under the sun.

Having options is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?

Last edited by Scourge441 : 09-24-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Darkness in Zero
BIG SIG 2 ADVERTISE TUNES

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofCheesecake
For every old band that people still worship, there existed a band just as shitty as current Asking Alexandria type bands. Bad bands have always existed, it's just that nobody remembers them.

So the question then...in 15 years, will bands like Killswitch or Lamb Of God or Periphery be looked at like Metallica or Slayer or Meshuggah? Or will they just disappear?
Just kinda adding a question to the thread.

CHECK OUT MAH TUNES!!!
http://www.facebook.com/darknessinzeroband
Darkness in Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
technicolour
Lupercal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness in Zero
So the question then...in 15 years, will bands like Killswitch or Lamb Of God or Periphery be looked at like Metallica or Slayer or Meshuggah? Or will they just disappear?
Just kinda adding a question to the thread.

They will be remembered by people with shitty taste in music but forgotten by the metal community because they had no relevance to it.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
Well, I've got a lot of prog, psych, some jazz, funk, and hip-hop, some neofolk, and a little electronic..

Disappointed to see this making a comeback

On topic I will never have a problem with listening to Iron Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Zoosadist
Banned

Sometimes but i also download covers of old songs by newer bands.
Zoosadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

A good band is a good band. Like Scourge said, just cuz I don't wanna listen to Sabbath now doesn't mean that I wont in a month or a year or what ever.

I think older bands DO get worshipped a little too much sometimes. It's like the argument that pop music is worse now than it was 70 years ago. It only seems that way cuz you don't remember the crap. I mean Sabbath in their time released lots of awful (by report) music for example. I vaguely remember reading about a nu-metal-esque track, luckily I've not heard it xD

I can't imagine the two mixing well.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 09-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
Disappointed to see this making a comeback

What's making a comeback and why is it disappointing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
I rarely get permanently tired of the bands I like, but it's not uncommon for me to just not be in the mood for particular bands.

This, IMO, is why it's a good idea to have broader musical tastes, both by listening to different styles of music and listening to several different takes on the same style. Want traditional metal, but not in the mood for Iron Maiden? That's cool, I can turn to Christian Mistress or Motorhead or Dawnbringer or Slough Feg or Manilla Road instead. Don't want traditional metal? Well, I've got a lot of prog, psych, some jazz, funk, and hip-hop, some neofolk, and a little electronic...

Having options is good.

This. I hate it when people say things like "Yea I used to listen to them but got tired of'em so I've moved on now" and things like that. Why be so narrow minded? Why not build up a broad palette of bands and genres to draw from? But anyway I agree with your general philosophy.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #20
elatihc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Old generally surpasses the new in almost all circumstances... so no.

(but, we are not thinking of the same "old" )

Definitely true.

I sometimes get into a mood of searching for newer bands or some older obscure bands that I never got around to listen to, but still, often I end up listening to the older, more familiar (to me atleast) bands - kinda like how comfort food feels like.
elatihc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: