User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #41
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur_s
Never get tired of them These are Gods and always will be, even when the world will die after 1000 years, these old bands will remain
Agree?

no I do not.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #42
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
I like music that tickles my fancy
Magero likes music that tickles his fancy
This is fine with me

Anyways dumb thread.

All the fancies must be tickled!

OT: The bands you posted? Lawl, I haven't listened to them in forever 'cause bleh.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur_s
Never get tired of them These are Gods and always will be, even when the world will die after 1000 years, these old bands will remain
Agree?

Not really. There are a lot of bands that I like to listen to, but if I'm not in the mood, then I'll stop listening to them and move on to other stuff. For example, I like Trivium a lot (inb4 lololololol he's a Trivitard and irrelephant hurhurhur), but I get burned out listening to them. They're certainly a band I think has the potential to stick around for a while, but it's not something I can listen to day in and day out.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #44
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium91
but it seems the old schooler's are more vocal about their view. Or then maybe I've just been subjected to this view more frequently.

I think it's really ironic that old schoolers have been hipsters since even before the word hipster was even invented.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #45
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Not really. There are a lot of bands that I like to listen to, but if I'm not in the mood, then I'll stop listening to them and move on to other stuff. For example, I like Trivium a lot (inb4 lololololol he's a Trivitard and irrelephant hurhurhur), but I get burned out listening to them. They're certainly a band I think has the potential to stick around for a while, but it's not something I can listen to day in and day out.

Any band, that one listens to in excess, will get tiring after awhile. I'm that way with Trivium, mostly specific albums. I also get that way with Vehemence, which is pretty much the reason I've been listening to Helping The World To See more than God Was Created lately.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #46
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Any band, that one listens to in excess, will get tiring after awhile. I'm that way with Trivium, mostly specific albums. I also get that way with Vehemence, which is pretty much the reason I've been listening to Helping The World To See more than God Was Created lately.

I had completely forgotten that Vehemence existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #47
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
I had completely forgotten that Vehemence existed.

For shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #48
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
I think it's really ironic that old schoolers have been hipsters since even before the word hipster was even invented.
I didn't know hipsters (women's panties) were such a recent invention.

In all seriousness though, I don't think I got your joke. Please elaborate.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #49
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
I didn't know hipsters (women's panties) were such a recent invention.

In all seriousness though, I don't think I got your joke. Please elaborate.

I think it's because "old schoolers" talk about how much better and/or obscure their favourite bands are. Of course, obscurity/underground is all relative..
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #50
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!

Do serious people ever really talk about how obscure bands are anymore?

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #51
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
Do serious people ever really talk about how obscure bands are anymore?

No. That's how you know if they're serious or not.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #52
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
I think it's because "old schoolers" talk about how much better and/or obscure their favourite bands are. Of course, obscurity/underground is all relative..

This, and how much better old things are and how metal was better before it was popular.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #53
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
Oh, alright, I just didn't see "old schooler" as automatically an underground thing. But I see the point.

While it's relevant to the discussion at hand, this got me thinking, and I'd like to hear you guys answer to a classic question you might hear from a person in real life: "What are some bands you like to listen to?"

After that, I'd like you to give a brief description of how well the people around you know these bands. I know we live in all parts of the world and have all kinds of tastes. I'm curious as some of us might be lucky enough to be surrounded by musically likeminded people, but I for one am not. Curious how I can relate to your feelings about the music you listen to when perceived by others around you.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #54
Geldin

Quote:
While it's relevant to the discussion at hand, this got me thinking, and I'd like to hear you guys answer to a classic question you might hear from a person in real life: "What are some bands you like to listen to?"

After that, I'd like you to give a brief description of how well the people around you know these bands. I know we live in all parts of the world and have all kinds of tastes. I'm curious as some of us might be lucky enough to be surrounded by musically likeminded people, but I for one am not. Curious how I can relate to your feelings about the music you listen to when perceived by others around you.

I'm actually lucky enough to have a couple of friends who are also metal fans. A number of my friends who aren't real metalheads like a few of the artists I listen to (Meshuggah and BTBAM are pretty accessible, I guess?). Only a few of my friends actually dislike my music and refuse to listen to any of it.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #55
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
This, and how much better old things are and how metal was better before it was popular.

Popular is also relative. I think Burzum was way more popular in the early 90s than now. Most of the "older" bands are better though because the genres have practically run their course, it's difficult to bring something worthwhile to the table nowadays.

That being said I like plenty of modern metal bands.

My closest friends are past or present metal tourists. One of them is just obsessed with technicality and isn't interested in metal that isn't hard to play. Another one I've gotten in to black metal because he digs the atmosphere and ambiance, but he isn't actively searching for more in metal, he mostly listens to electronic stuff (not dub step).

Last edited by technicolour : 10-10-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #56
progbass
UG Resident

Quote:
Oh, alright, I just didn't see "old schooler" as automatically an underground thing. But I see the point.

I avoid that question like the plague.

Depending on how pretentious I feel like sounding at the moment, my answer ranges from name dropping Romantic composers to just shrugging my shoulders and saying "eh just some old rock and stuff".
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #57
technicolour
Banned

If you just give someone band names: "I've never heard of any of those"
In all other accounts you either get misrepresented (I listen to metal, or hardcore, or "everything") or they might not understand your answer, eg: I listen to music that challenges the ear/mind.

It's lose lose lose
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #58
progbass
UG Resident

Yessir. Which is why I avoid it.

I mean, why should I say that I listen to Ildjarn, Beherit, and King Crimson. We both know they haven't heard of any of the bands, and sometimes I will even get nods and words of approval from these chaps as if they know the bands quite well. Speaks more as a merit of bad character than anything else, but thats something else.

I suppose I could just say Meshuggah and ask for anal penetration. Thats what all the kids are doing these days.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #59
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Haha, alright, so I guess I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable when the question is thrown. I'm guessing that in 'murica the ratio of metal listeners is smaller than in a lot of European countries, so it might be even more dreadful a question there.

I guess I try to avoid it by giving some vague genre based answer, and maybe add a household name like Miles Davis. But if they want bands it gets awkward when they know none of them, and then I get uncomfortable and say something stupid like "yeah they're pretty underground" and end up looking like a hipster douche who listens to that music cause no one knows it. True story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
I'm actually lucky enough to have a couple of friends who are also metal fans. A number of my friends who aren't real metalheads like a few of the artists I listen to (Meshuggah and BTBAM are pretty accessible, I guess?). Only a few of my friends actually dislike my music and refuse to listen to any of it.
I have plenty of friends who listen to metal. It's just usually very different bands than what I do. I feel like there's not a person in the world who hasn't heard of Meshuggah. And you know, everyone knows Opeth while no one knows Cynic.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #60
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Most of my friends are into surface level metal and crappy metalcore.

It's pretty shite tbh. I'm all like, guys check out this new album from Between The Buried and Me it's awesome!

And they'll be like "nah" and will listen to Pantera and Asking Alexandria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: