Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #61
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium91
I have plenty of friends who listen to metal. It's just usually very different bands than what I do. I feel like there's not a person in the world who hasn't heard of Meshuggah. And you know, everyone knows Opeth while no one knows Cynic.

Strangely enough, I have more friends who know Cynic than Meshuggah or Opeth.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #62
MetalRock4ever
I just love quoting stuff

This is part of the reason why I don't like some bands, like Metallica. To be honest, it's the fans that take it too far I don't like that much. Before you rip me apart, hear me out.

Recently, someone posted an article of 'The best Metallica song'. If it was the best song for another band, not Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc. there would be a lot of hate. For instance, if I posted 'The best Slipknot song', there'll be people posting why Slipknot is shit in their opinions.

However, I am not saying that those bands (Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc.) made bad music (there must be a couple of exceptions).
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Shakespeare - Macbeth

Last edited by MetalRock4ever : 10-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
MetalRock4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #63
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Strangely enough, I have more friends who know Cynic than Meshuggah or Opeth.
Pfft. You lie. Stop lying.

I do find that very strange actually, I would think anyone who would know Cynic would know those bands as well. Then again, Opeth and Meshuggah are from our neighbor country so maybe things are different here. I thought the djent fad had became so huge all across the world by now so I'd have though there's no place on earth where Meshuggah isn't known.
Originally Posted by jkielq91
'Thrax isnt my term, I have seen it written in all sorts of places.
'pologies.

Sanitarium91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
dillonrips7
UG Sodomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Most of my friends are into surface level metal and crappy metalcore.

It's pretty shite tbh. I'm all like, guys check out this new album from Between The Buried and Me it's awesome!

And they'll be like "nah" and will listen to Pantera and Asking Alexandria.

Hahaha
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #65
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
eg: I listen to music that challenges the ear/mind.

Come on man

I normally wittle it down to 'punk, indie and arty stuff' which is a decent coverall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #66
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonrips7
Hahaha

Yes okay, it's not super unknown and niche.

But would you really put BTBAM on the same level as Asking Alexandria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #67
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Oh, alright, I just didn't see "old schooler" as automatically an underground thing. But I see the point.

While it's relevant to the discussion at hand, this got me thinking, and I'd like to hear you guys answer to a classic question you might hear from a person in real life: "What are some bands you like to listen to?"

After that, I'd like you to give a brief description of how well the people around you know these bands. I know we live in all parts of the world and have all kinds of tastes. I'm curious as some of us might be lucky enough to be surrounded by musically likeminded people, but I for one am not. Curious how I can relate to your feelings about the music you listen to when perceived by others around you.

I don't like the question and get pretty uncomfortable when it's asked, but let me tell you a story on this topic.

Early into the year, I had been taking Violin lessons from a person who had taught me 3 years of guitar and a year of piano. I was in one of his recitals that he holds every few months, but I made this one my last because my family didn't have the money to continue lessons with him(65 dollars a month, 30 minute lessons once a week).

Well, I went to this recital and was getting ready for my performance while all the other students performed, and a few people showed up. They were friends of my mother who have been in music for years, and they asked if I wanted to play with them. So, I figured I'd give it a shot since I can't say no and I wouldn't be taking lessons anymore. Big mistake.

These were two girls, one 18 and the other 13. I live in Tennessee, so generally they just love pop-country like Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Toby Keith, all that tripe. Well, these 2 have been singing and playing all across the state, but they didn't have a lick of knowledge on theory, or even how to play their instruments.

Well, I played some terrible shows with them and finally we went to this center that feeds kids from poor households, but also gives kids the ability to play music. So, I figured this might go well, hell, they even had a Metal night on Saturdays.

I met the guys who enjoyed Metal...They loved Pierce The Veil, Black Veil Brides, Senses Fail, Emmure(Sorry Chem), Asking Alexandria, and other such bands. I tried to jam with the vocalist, who was very good at distorted vox, even could do Demilich-esque gurgles. The problem was, however, that he only wanted me to do breakdown riffs and nothing else.

So, this is the kind of people I'm surrounded by; People who love mainstream country or people who love the most pedestrian of Metal. But something happened at this place; I got asked what kind of music I liked while on their band stage practicing with those 2 girls.

I tried to answer with Melodic Death Metal and Progressive Rock, since that's what most of my listening consists of, but I was met with people saying, "Play The Civil Wars! Play Boys Like Girls! Play Simple Plan!". So, since then I completely avoid the question.

That's my long ass story. C:

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #68
technicolour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
Come on man

I normally wittle it down to 'punk, indie and arty stuff' which is a decent coverall

Just saying that's something you could say
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #69
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Quote:
Yes okay, it's not super unknown and niche.

But would you really put BTBAM on the same level as Asking Alexandria?
No, but it's not such a stretch.

Really though, I'm sure they have songs that could ease them into it. I don't know the music well enough to say if they have the necessary amount of catchy choruses and breakdowns, but they kinda have some similar aesthetics anyway. I know they're obviously not as blatantly pop music though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
That's my long ass story. C:

Goddamn man, I guess that's America for you. At least I have some agreeable band likings with a lot of people. Even if our favourites tend to be very different.
'pologies.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #70
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
No, but it's not such a stretch.

Really though, I'm sure they have songs that could ease them into it. I don't know the music well enough to say if they have the necessary amount of catchy choruses and breakdowns, but they kinda have some similar aesthetics anyway. I know they're obviously not as blatantly pop music though.

You are right, but the point is is that don't give it a chance because it's not cool and on the front cover on Kerrang or some crap.

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Haha, and I thought the place were I lived was a cultural wasteland. At least I know a couple of people who like pedestrian black/death bands and European power metal. Must suck to be you guys.

Oh and the question, depends on whose asking, but I guess generally I just tell them I like metal bands like Sabbath, Priest and Maiden (Oh hey look, almost back on the subject of the thread) and progressive rock bands like Genesis and Yes. Most people will respond to at least one of those names. If I'm feeling daring, drunk* or I'm talking to someone who doesn't look like they've had a haircut in the past couple of years I might test the waters by asking if they're familiar with Venom or Mercyful Fate.

*When I'm drunk I tend to lose all sense of what's acceptable musically. A couple of months back I got dragged to some house party and after a couple of beers I started telling the guy who was playing music over the speakers to put on some Sodom. It did lead to a conversation about metal in which he revealed that he doesn't like Bruce Dickinson's vocals. At that point he was pretty lucky that I was incapacitated.

Last edited by Nietsche : 10-11-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #72
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Goddamn man, I guess that's America for you. At least I have some agreeable band likings with a lot of people. Even if our favourites tend to be very different.

I could find common ground with some of these people, but the problem is that they're more nostalgic mainstream rock bands I used to like a lot, such as Breaking Benjamin, Finger Eleven, Groundswell, Three Days Grace, Trapt, etc. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem, right? Well, these people treat those bands as bands they've grew out of and are too old for, yet they listen to bands that are arguably worse.

But, oh well.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #73
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Hear ya man, in that case it's not worth calling common ground really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
I started telling the guy who was playing music over the speakers to put on some Sodom.
Ha, I've sort of made a point to myself not to play metal in parties these days. Or sometimes I might even be asked to put something on, but I find it hard to think of anything suitable for the moment, cause I feel the music I listen to is somehow very personal. It's hardly ever anywhere near any kind of social music. Even if it's jazz or something. It makes me feel like a ****** for putting it on, almost as if I'm embarassed of the music I like.
Quote:
You are right, but the point is is that don't give it a chance because it's not cool and on the front cover on Kerrang or some crap.
I know man, I know.
'pologies.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #74
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I met the guys who enjoyed Metal...They loved Pierce The Veil, Black Veil Brides, Senses Fail, Emmure(Sorry Chem)

</3

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #75
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
</3

Baby no...Our love was so beautiful.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #76
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

You are no longer my fire in the sky </3

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #77
Mr E Meat
Custom User Title

i get tired of boring bands like metallica
Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #78
Morbideathrash

Sincerly i got tired of bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and all this bands from the 70's early 80's bit i still love bands like Slayer (Hail) and Testament. But my most beloved metal band are from the late 80's and the early 90's bands like Sarcofago, Morbid Angel, Death and Krisiun... And yes, i think that the older bands are very overrated and worshiped, there's a lot of good underground metal bands now days, specially thrash metal, bands like warbringer, suicidal angels and ect..
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #79
fradd

I got bored of Metallica after 3 years of listening...

But Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament still come out with good albums.
But they will never be as good as they were in the 80s.

SLAYER FAN4LIFE!
fradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #80
CBRNE
CBRNE

I used to be an elitist wanker who would only listen to the old bands, but recently Ive changed and couldnt care less, as long as the music is awesome

I am pretty sick of listening to the same sabbath etc albums all the damn time
CBRNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: