Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #81
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

As far as metal listening goes, most of the time the old stuff is the good stuff. For newer music, there's plenty of great stuff in other genres. Metal is such a through composed genre that it leaves you a bit short on the vastness of expression in the moment. Which is really one reason why improvisational music, like jazz for instance, at least to me, doesn't lose it's relevance and impact through time in the sense that some metal does.

Of course the need for bands to strip themselves of all personality by sterilizing and polishing their sound to extremes doesn't help in the whole expressiveness through personality and the moment.
Originally Posted by jkielq91
'Thrax isnt my term, I have seen it written in all sorts of places.
'pologies.

Last edited by Sanitarium91 : 10-17-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Sanitarium91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #82
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

I never get tired of older bands. I listen to them all the time. At the same time though, I listen to a few modern bands or bands that came out at a later time period than what would be considered the 'Classic' era of music. I like to mix it up a bit, but there are a few things that I look into when I look at more modern bands.

- Musicianship
- Song writing Ability
- Passion
- Evolution
- Writing fairly consistent material

I think the problem with these new bands is that they lack at least one of the above. That to me, doesn't impress me at all. For one, I hate bands that limit themselves and don't expand on their craft due to musical laziness. That, and they seem to have lost the true passion of music. Music isn't about being as brutal as possible, playing as fast as possible, or a reason to gain popularity.

As a musician, you have to evolve. There are certain things that EVERY musician can make better, but it takes dedication and again, I stress PASSION in order to do so.

The most important thing that I think is the biggest problem is Song writing ability. They have forgotten how to write SONGS. Instead, they write songs with insane amounts of complexity or heaviness for the sake of it, loosing that element that makes a song great. In the end, it ends up sounding like hobbled mess and sounds like you're hearing 10 different songs at once and lacking musical theme. That's not what I would call a song.

Last edited by madmax33096 : 10-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.
madmax33096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #83
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
If you just give someone band names: "I've never heard of any of those"
In all other accounts you either get misrepresented (I listen to metal, or hardcore, or "everything") or they might not understand your answer, eg: I listen to music that challenges the ear/mind.

It's lose lose lose

"Whatever makes me hard."
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #84
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax33096
I never get tired of older bands. I listen to them all the time. At the same time though, I listen to a few modern bands or bands that came out at a later time period than what would be considered the 'Classic' era of music. I like to mix it up a bit, but there are a few things that I look into when I look at more modern bands.

- Musicianship
- Song writing Ability
- Passion
- Evolution
- Writing fairly consistent material

I think the problem with these new bands is that they lack at least one of the above. That to me, doesn't impress me at all. For one, I hate bands that limit themselves and don't expand on their craft due to musical laziness. That, and they seem to have lost the true passion of music. Music isn't about being as brutal as possible, playing as fast as possible, or a reason to gain popularity.

As a musician, you have to evolve. There are certain things that EVERY musician can make better, but it takes dedication and again, I stress PASSION in order to do so.

The most important thing that I think is the biggest problem is Song writing ability. They have forgotten how to write SONGS. Instead, they write songs with insane amounts of complexity or heaviness for the sake of it, loosing that element that makes a song great. In the end, it ends up sounding like hobbled mess and sounds like you're hearing 10 different songs at once and lacking musical theme. That's not what I would call a song.

I'm just curious, but what modern bands do you find good and what old bands do you find good?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #85
Scratcher17

I get tired of all the old bands worship. I mean, they have earned their reputation, but people don't look for new bands that can "carry on the torch". People have to realize that those bands are mostly underground or not known enough acts and, let's face it, rock and metal aren't going to be mainstream any time soon (their "golden age" of popularity ended in 90's). I believe there are new bands out there that deserve to bea heard (I am a fan of older bands, just that it can become kind of stale listening to the same old songs from time to time).

Also, I would like to use this opportunity to share the first music video from the band Dorje. The song's from their first EP. They are a band that deserve all the praise they can get and more. I think they have a rather original style of taking classic influences and applying them in a modern context. Also, the variety of musical styles they put together in such a cohesive manner is incredible.

Check them out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJr...ture=plpp_video

(Bear in mind that I'm not just shamelessly promoting them, I wanted to compliment the thread with some food for thought, so to speak.)

Hope you like it
Cheers!
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #86
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I am fan of Dorje, really it's the first musical output from Rob Chapman I've actually liked, his solo stuff never did anything for me. I think the presence of other musicians has really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #87
technicolour
Banned

[QUOTE=Scratcher17let's face it, rock and metal aren't going to be mainstream any time soon[/QUOTE]

why does that matter at all?
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #88
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
why does that matter at all?

Most people who talk about new bands "carrying the torch" of older bands are talking about a band reaching mainstream popularity as high as Maidn, Sabbath, Metallica, or Pantera.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #89
diabolical

My biggest beef in modern metal is that all productions more or less sound the same.

Listen to an Andy Sneap production - the drums sound uniformly the same on pretty much everything.

Back in the day all these bands had variation in sounds, even if using the same producer.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #90
jazar94
Chainsaw Vasectomy

My musical tastes developed from punk to deathcore to death metal than from there to the other subgenres so your old bands are still fairly new to me, idk man, just discovered Iron Maiden and Helloween a year ago lol. Basically I skipped the metal classics and hit the classics of extreme metal, oh well
jazar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #91
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

I don't like old rock/metal, but I like old R&B, blues, jazz hip-hop etc; There are exceptions as I do enjoy some Iron Maiden every once in a while. I prefer the metal today in terms of musicality and composition. I don't like the bland production. Every snare, every guitar everything sounds the same production wise. I want to hear rattly snares and guitars with an EQ quirk, boomy bass. I want some dynamics between every instrument. I wanna hear that Burch-bubinga bass drum and those over wound bass pickups giving some grind.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 AM   #92
aleinoise1

Thumbs up

Support indie music and bands. Keep real music alive!!!
Check out our campaign below and our band page

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/giving-away-free-money-to-an-indie-band/x/5960095

https://www.facebook.com/NewWorldOrderfamily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ3B_gkzCHg
aleinoise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #93
aleinoise1

We are a band out of Detroit Mi tired of mainstream music and everything sounding the same.. We are playing the Whiskey a Go Go in Los Angeles in June. We need the love and support of those that feel the same way we do. Its hard to get your music heard as an indie band so we're trying to pave the way the best we can. Please support our movement. our band links and campaign links are below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ3B_gkzCHg

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/giving-away-free-money-to-an-indie-band/x/5960095

http://www.whiskyagogo.com/site/event/let-rawk-hard/
aleinoise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #94
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Why did you decide to spam your band in a two year old thread?
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: