where do you stop with censoring?

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
girlgerms007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #42
ginger ninja102
UG Newbie

i hate this sort of thing. people can find something "wrong" with anything if they look hard enough.yet i have red hair and get discriminated against and no one cares.
ginger ninja102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #43
CoreysMonster
Banned

They're going after Tintin now?

It's 2012 and Islamist radicals are killing people and burning buildings and we're discussing if fucking TINTIN is racist and bad?

Priorities, people! Priorities!
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika
I don't think Hergé was purposely trying to be racist; he was just showing how things were back then.

I'll admit, the panel that you posted is quite questionable, but in Tintin In America, he shows how the stereotypical greedy, white businessman pays the Native Americans only $25 to buy their land. He also portrays the main antagonist of the comic as someone who manipulates said Native Americans into thinking Tintin is their sworn enemy.

I guess Hergé was a bit like Joseph Conrad; racist because of the times, but not failing to show the faults of the white man too.

This. Excellent point.

I would say though that Tintin encourages excessive alcohol consumption. I mean look at Haddock. He always gets into weird, seriously life threatening situations when drunk, but never causes any permanent damage to anyone and so his drinking is only comical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #45
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #46
The_Casinator
No Touching!

Location: Maastricht, The Netherlands. (Previously of Eindhoven, Brussels, Großweil and The Hague)
It kind of bothers me that everyone here along with most kids seem to really like him, while I know that he can be a massive asshole at times.

No seriously, banning this would be insane.
The_Casinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #47
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms007
where do you stop with capitalism?

Fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
This. Excellent point.

I would say though that Tintin encourages excessive alcohol consumption. I mean look at Haddock. He always gets into weird, seriously life threatening situations when drunk, but never causes any permanent damage to anyone and so his drinking is only comical.

You could also say it perpetuates a negative image of cops... unlike cops today...
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #48
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
You could also say it perpetuates a negative image of cops... unlike cops today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #49
ErikLensherr
UG Fanatic

I thought Tintin was a dog but that's Rin Tin Tin. So I don't know what Tintin is and I don't care.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #50
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

I don't really get why the Tintin comics remain so popular. I mean, I've read about half of them and they sure succeeded in creating a nice, adventurous vibe... But the humor was always kind of lame (the only funny character was captain Haddock with his alcoholic ways) and even as a 7 year old I found them pretty damn silly at times

I mean, he was supposed to be a reporter, yet he never seemed to do any reporting. AT ALL. No interviews, no relevant investigative journalism of any kind, no signs of him ever working on a little story or opinion piece... He'd just get into trouble, usually within the first 4 or 5 frames, and then shit just unfolded. At least the Scooby Doo crew drove around in a van looking for shady looking castles or abandoned cabins in the middle of a swamp to spend the night. Tintin couldn't order a sandwich without getting mugged or abducted

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
shwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #51
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Libraries were better when they just had books and no bullshit.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #52
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

Every 2 to 3 pages he'd escape from the brink of death. Poor fella must've gotten thrown into the ocean about a dozen times throughout the series (at least). He'd have to deal with yetis, tigers, firing squads, cursed Egyptian ruins, cursed Inca ruins, multiple civil uprisings, the Chicago maffia, the Chinese maffia...

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
Old 09-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #53
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

Usually he'd get saved by his dog or just get plain lucky. Like they'd tie him to the rails and at the last minute some crazy lady would pull the emergency break because she saw two squirrels fighting or something, or he'd get blown out of a collapsed cave after accidentally striking oil. Every time he got dropped from a great height he would land in a tree or a previously invisible ledge. ALWAYS. Usually because his belt or suspenders got caught by a branch. He must've spent more time in trees than Michael Jackson

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #54
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Is this racist?

If Tintin is racist, so is Tom Sawyer. The reality is, this kind of literature often highlights racism and negative perceptions of the time. Many of the authors of the time found racism to be abhorrent. So, they brought it up in their books and indirectly presented it as not okay.

Quote:
Should we ban literature perpertuating negative stereotypes?

No, but you Swedes go crazy banning shit all the time. I really do wonder if Sweden understands the concept of free speech.
Also, the people in charge of this kind of stuff in Sweden...do they lack critical thinking skills? I think so.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Mesh
And on topic, They changed their decision as of today

Good! Someone must have told them what fucktards they were being...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-25-2012 at 11:20 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #55
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwilly
Usually he'd get saved by his dog or just get plain lucky. Like they'd tie him to the rails and at the last minute some crazy lady would pull the emergency break because she saw two squirrels fighting or something, or he'd get blown out of a collapsed cave after accidentally striking oil. Every time he got dropped from a great height he would land in a tree or a previously invisible ledge. ALWAYS. Usually because his belt or suspenders got caught by a branch. He must've spent more time in trees than Michael Jackson

It is a comic book...
Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
It is a comic book...
Yeah but even then there are limits to how many houdini-like escapes you can get away with. I guess it has to do with the fact that most of the books were episodic -> the guy would hand in 2 new pages every month, and just to keep everyone wanting for more he'd end with a cliffhanger

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #57
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

And then, yes, there was the subliminal racism (although not all that subliminal if you read the book with the african midget tribe or the one with the big nosed jew accountant villain which was apparently released during WWII). I'll admit, the author did seem to redeem himself after a while but even in the later comics the massive stereotyping was still all over the place. Like instead of having Tintin visit some arab country where the entire population was made up of short tempered camel-riding nomads, he would just made up some fictional place

But the result was always the same: ill tempered, corrupt police and/or military officers with big moustaches would throw him into jail for no apparent reason, other than them being pricks

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\

Last edited by shwilly : 09-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #58
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

It's probably best to remove it from a youth library, but adult literature? Hell no. What a Swedish thing to do.
StewieSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #59
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwilly
Yeah but even then there are limits to how many houdini-like escapes you can get away with.

In comic books, you can do as many Houdini-like escapes as you want, provided everyone keeps reading it. Now, stop taking it so seriously.

OT:
Library of Sweden: STOP TAKING THINGS SO SERIOUSLY. Although, you may want to start taking freedom of speech more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
It's probably best to remove it from a youth library, but adult literature? Hell no. What a Swedish thing to do.

Wasn't Sweden the country that decided having to examine whether it removed "sexual tension", if they separated male and female students in elementary school? (As if 5 year-olds get the concept of "sexual tension".) Iirc, they even tried it out in one elementary school and got "inconclusive results"...

My point is, Sweden does a lot of ridiculous things*.

*On the flipside, my country, the US, does a lot of ridiculous things too.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-25-2012 at 11:30 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #60
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
No, but you Swedes go crazy banning shit all the time. I really do wonder if Sweden understands the concept of free speech.
Also, the people in charge of this kind of stuff in Sweden...do they lack critical thinking skills? I think so.

wat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
In comic books, you can do as many Houdini-like escapes as you want, provided everyone keeps reading it. Now, stop taking it so seriously.

OT:
Library of Sweden: STOP TAKING THINGS SO SERIOUSLY. Although, you may want to start taking freedom of speech more seriously.

Wasn't Sweden the country that decided having to examine whether it removed "sexual tension", if they separated male and female students in elementary school? (As if 5 year-olds get the concept of "sexual tension".) Iirc, they even tried it out in one elementary school and got "inconclusive results"...

My point is, Sweden does a lot of ridiculous things*.

*On the flipside, my country, the US, does a lot of ridiculous things too.

wat

It's one libraraian in one case with one book you crazy yank. The guy changed his mind after people telling him how stupid he was.
██████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: