Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Lucky13!

Pickup replacement help/suggestions

I have a ESP/LTD M-100FM and I like the guitar quite alot but I would like to replace the pickups with something better to get a better sound from the guitar

I want to play quite versatile music, Blues/Rock, nice clear cleans, vintage rock stuff AC/DC Led Zeplin and some harder stuff(metallica etc). Heavy Metal and Jazz type stuff isn't really needed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Lucky13! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Lucky13!

I am looking at a combination of pickups at the moment:

DiMarzio DP103 (Neck)
DiMarzio ToneZone/AirZone (Bridge)

How would this combination work?

or a Seymour duncan Hot rodded humbucker set?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

alinco ii pro in the neck. custom 5 in the bridge, or maybe a jb
both seymour duncan
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
andrerist
schecterguy

i'm personally a huge dimarzio fan. when it comes down to doing cleans and lots of dirt i would honestly reccomend something along the lines of a crunchlab/liquifire set. otherwise maybe a d-activator set.

in the way of SD, maybe an invader in the bridge and a 59 in the neck?
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13!
I am looking at a combination of pickups at the moment:

DiMarzio DP103 (Neck)
DiMarzio ToneZone/AirZone (Bridge)

How would this combination work?

or a Seymour duncan Hot rodded humbucker set?

both of those are fairly versatile, but more on the modern side of things- they're versatile if you mainly play heavier stuff, but if you mainly play lighter stuff there are better options.

Unless you play a lot of metallica and the like, i'd go for something paf-style. all the other stuff you said you played would be best using vintage output/style pickups.

what's your budget? what's your amp? EDIT: just checked your profile- honestly, if you only have a spider i'm not sure swapping pickups is the best use of your money. even if you had a good tube amp, i'm not sure i'd want to put too much money into pickups for a beginner guitar, but with a beginner modeller, i'm not sure there's much point. I know that's not what you want to hear, but i'd rather tell you straight than have you waste your money.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Lucky13!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

what's your budget? what's your amp? EDIT: just checked your profile- honestly, if you only have a spider i'm not sure swapping pickups is the best use of your money. even if you had a good tube amp, i'm not sure i'd want to put too much money into pickups for a beginner guitar, but with a beginner modeller, i'm not sure there's much point. I know that's not what you want to hear, but i'd rather tell you straight than have you waste your money.

Updated my profile a while back, I now use a 100w marshal tube amp (also occasional a peavey classic 30 ) and then mainly an Ibanez adx120... and then the LTD. The spider is just a practice amp...

What I really want to know is will the tone improvement with new pickups be worth the money (bear in mind I like how the ltd plays, good action etc.)

EDIT: oh budget, lets say about $350 (This is a rough estimate as I live in South-Africa and prices differ here)

Last edited by Lucky13! : 09-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13!
What I really want to know is will the tone improvement with new pickups be worth the money (bear in mind I like how the ltd plays, good action etc.)

Thats gonna end up being your opinion in the end. A lot of time upgrading cheapo pups in beginner guitars can be a night and day difference, but sometimes it doesn't make a huge difference. I'm not familiar with the pups in that guitar so...

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Lucky13!

Will see, I just had the issue recently that is was playing a show and was using the ltd (the other guitarist used a tele) now I know you cant comare the two but he had a much clearer/brighter tone and my tone sounded all muddy and well not brilliant compared to his, also when using the volume knob the sound doesn't "clean up" nicely but rather gets kind of dull.

I then switched to my Ibanez... now the LTD sounded fine with heavy sounds but the ibanez sounded ALOT better with the lighter stuff (compared to the other guitarist and his tele...) Plus when turning back the volume the sound cleaned up nicely and remained quite clear and bright.

This is what got me thinking of replacing the pickups in the LTD.

But a local music store is having a sale this weekend (Discount on everything in store) so will probably go and check out what pickups they have and maybe try a few different ones out...
Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

oh right, no worries (regarding the amp).

as kevin says, it's a bit up in the air regarding cheaper guitars and pickup swaps... if the wood is decent and it's decently made (and more importantly, you like it) then it might be worth a swap. But if it's a bit dead-sounding, pickups might not help.

other thing is, some of the cheaper manufacturers like tonerider or irongear might be worth considering (if you can get them in SA). that way you're not out tons of money, and they're probably a lot better than what's in there already.

or there are some cheaper handwinders too, catswhisker, or there's a guy in spain (jess loureiro or something like that). But postage to SA might erode most of the savings.

EDIT: yep if they have a sale that'd work too.

the volume knob thing is most likely the lack of a treble bleed cap. you just solder a capacitor across some of the (i forget which ones ) lugs of the volume pot. Retains the highs when you roll down.

you can use a resistor, too, for a slightly more involved (and supposedly better, but i haven't tried it) circuit. the fralin one is meant to be pretty good (but as i said, haven't tried it).

http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/phazrev.jpg (the volume kit at the bottom, basically a 220k resistor in parallel with a 0.0025 cap.)

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-26-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Lucky13!

Will take a look at the capacitor/resistor thing and will check out the music store on Saturday. Maybe I can solve this problem cheaply
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

hopefully Good luck

er....

Quote:
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #12
Lucky13!

Changed the pickups , I put DiMarzio PAF® 36th Anniversary in the neck and a PAF pro in the bridge. I also put a coil tap on each pickup.

Result: It sounds absolutely brilliant, and the guitar is very versatility now.

I would definitely recommend this seeing as it was a relatively cheap upgrade and now the guitar sounds as good as some of the more expensive ltd's

Money well spent
Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sweet

er....

Quote:

Rate This Thread: