Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Black Moth Super Rainbow, anyone?

I was using New Weird America back in '09, but i think that was just a buzz-word.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
BassFishin
The Wizard's Baker

1. It's like, what the f*ck is "indie"? It literally describes any band who is not on a major label, more specifically on an independent label.

Or, at least, it used to mean that. Now there's a specific, generic boring sound associated with it. Those bands tend to open for 'alternative' rock bands like The Pixies. Those bands usually suck and make you crave the headliner. Oh, which reminds me...

2. What the f*ck is "alternative"? Again, used to make a little more sense. It was a term for anything that wasn't constantly played on the radio. At least, that's what I think it used to mean back in like the 60s.

By modern standards, though, considering that most of the radio is just classic rock and top 40 dance and pop crap, isn't just about everything alternative now? Alternative could mean a blues band, or a heavy metal band, or a punk band, it's just ridiculous and makes no sense! Ah, while we're on the topic...

3. What the f*ck is "punk"? You know where I'm going with this. It used to be a term to describe a mindset rather than a general sound. The Clash were punk. Iggy Pop and the Stooges were punk (I think?) yet none of those guys sound like Bad Religion, who are also considered punk. What makes them all similar is their mindset, right?

Then why does playing double timed beats and repetitive chords and wearing leather pants automatically label you as punk if you play at a bar? It's like it's an image or a specific sound now. The only reason I hear the Clash and think 'punk' is because I've been told to think this way, so I look for it. I wasn't alive to understand the context of that band when it broke out.

Bottom line is that I hate genres. I gave a lengthy response because, by coincidence, I happened to be having this exact same conversation with someone last night.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #23
roney11879

If someone could tell me what genre my band is that would be awesome
http://www.facebook.com/SisterSiste.../app_2405167945
roney11879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
AmirT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereiwas
Black Moth Super Rainbow, anyone?

I was using New Weird America back in '09, but i think that was just a buzz-word.

Thanks for naming the band! I like the music, I was just curious.

I'd call it a mix of psychedelic/experimental art electro-pop.
Nice genre which I personally love!

Kona Triangle is one my favorite though in that genre.

Last edited by AmirT : 09-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
AmirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirT
psychedelic/experimental art electro-pop.

This is where I feel genres break down.

First off, most people have no idea what "art electro-pop" is. Say that to most people and they either think you're douchebag hipster. Or they'll give you a blank look.

Second off, the "pop" part is a misnomer, since pop originally meant "popular music".

Third off, experimental and art are redundant (though not necessarily the same).

Basically, the point I'm trying to make is, the proper term for that genre would be "experimental electronic music". But no, every damn sound has to have its own super-duper unique genre tag, just because "X doesn't sound exactly like Y".

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-25-2012 at 03:30 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb
Anyone familiar with Deftones or Funeral For a Friend?

Funeral for a Friend are almost a template for post-hardcore; them and Thrice, and Boysetsfire.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
hatton93

I love Pulled Apart By Horses, but have never been able to label them under a certain genre, what do you think?

hatton93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Since UneXpect were already mentioned:

^ They're called Pryapisme, and they're insane almost like UneXpect...
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

Basically, the point I'm trying to make is, the proper term for that genre would be "experimental electronic music". But no, every damn sound has to have its own super-duper unique genre tag, just because "X doesn't sound exactly like Y".

But Black Moth Super Rainbow aren't really experimental... :/ They defy sensible genre names. I kind of think, maybe i should call them Kitschedelic, but i don't want to step on the B52s toes.

Also, Kitschedelic is a great genre title.

I mostly just say I like electronic music and then hope that people take an historical reading of that. I doubt they do. shrug shrug shrug.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereiwas
But Black Moth Super Rainbow aren't really experimental... :/ They defy sensible genre names.

Then, call them psychedelic electronic music. No reason for anything ridiculous.

Also, the B52s are another of those bands who think they're super-special cookies, who deserve their own fucking genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96

^ They're called Pryapisme, and they're insane almost like UneXpect...

Most definitely Avant-garde/prog rock.

@Chemical Fire:
The same can be said of American Indie. It's basically Rock or Pop Rock. However, since it uses instruments like acoustic guitar, it's "Indie" to some people.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-25-2012 at 08:42 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFishin
1. It's like, what the f*ck is "indie"? It literally describes any band who is not on a major label, more specifically on an independent label.

Or, at least, it used to mean that. Now there's a specific, generic boring sound associated with it. Those bands tend to open for 'alternative' rock bands like The Pixies. Those bands usually suck and make you crave the headliner. Oh, which reminds me...

Most Indie Just sounds like Brit Pop... well the British stuff does. I'd argue that most "Indie Rock" is just Rock or Pop Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
Primus2112
gortar hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb
Anyone familiar with Deftones

Would you still call Deftones 'nu-metal'?

I don't know, there's definitely some nu-metal in their sound, but they experiment so much. Chino cites You'd Prefer An Astronaut by Hum (which everyone should also listen to) a lot, when discussing influences. Not vocally, obviously, but that reverbed spacey guitar in the first song is very Steph, and the riffs in Stars remind me a lot of Be Quiet And Drive.

So I would group them as nu-metal, but their post-hardcore influence is pretty significant.
Primus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
BassFishin
The Wizard's Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus2112
I don't know, there's definitely some nu-metal in their sound, but they experiment so much. Chino cites You'd Prefer An Astronaut by Hum (which everyone should also listen to) a lot, when discussing influences. Not vocally, obviously, but that reverbed spacey guitar in the first song is very Steph, and the riffs in Stars remind me a lot of Be Quiet And Drive.

So I would group them as nu-metal, but their post-hardcore influence is pretty significant.

+1000 for Hum! I might be seeing them soon...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #34
Primus2112
gortar hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFishin
+1000 for Hum! I might be seeing them soon...

WHAT

SO JEALOUS
Primus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: