Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'm sorry to do this again, but I'm still unsure of what to get. Recommend me pickups

The guitar is an LTD H-301. Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard.

The tuning is D Standard and Drop C.

The style is basically modern death metal (think The Black Dahlia Murder).

I currently have an SD Custom/'59 set in there, and it's not really working out for me.

For the bridge, I need something with a massive amount of low end. Looking for very bassy palm mutes that you can feel. Second priority is harmonics, having harmonics that just jump out would be awesome, but not as important has having a really powerful low end. I'm not looking for flub, I'm looking for power. The Custom doesn't have a lot of low end, and I'd like a little more output (volume) as well.

For the neck, the most important thing is cleans. The 59 is too middy and kind of honky. I liked it in clips I've heard, but in this guitar it just doesn't work for me. I need a little more output (volume) here as well. I need a high amount of headroom - I do not like any breakup in my cleans. When distorted, I just need it to have less gain and saturation (more note clarity) than the bridge.

I'm looking for passives. Brand and budget aren't really an issue, I just need to find out what's out there that will work for me.

What I've looked into from my own research:

DiMarzio Evolution set. I don't know about these. In 99% of the videos of them the person is just shredding Vai and Satriani etc., which is not what I do at all. I'm considering them because there was one video where a guy got an awesome massive tone with them. So I really don't know what to think about that, as there's so few examples of people playing the way I play with this pup.

DiMarzio D Activator X set - I like that these have bar magnets. In the videos I've seen of them, the tone has been a little too generic for me, but I don't know if that is because of the pickup or because of the amp. The neck cleans seem to be good though. Also afraid that they sound too "hollow". Not sure how to describe that really, but it's the same issue I have with my Custom.

SD Distortion/Jazz set. The note tone these have is great, but the problem is the palm muted notes. It's hard to gauge this in videos as well, but basically just ditto with the "hollowness" in the palm mutes. I need something with a lot of saturation, not tightness like I thought I wanted before.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

What you need is a 6505.

Do you not like the EMGs?

Last edited by R45VT : 09-26-2012 at 12:16 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I love EMGs. The EMGs in my EC-1000 sound great through my JSX.

Problem is that I'm looking for a different sound out of my H. something more "raw", if you will, less compressed and clinical sounding.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
sacamano79
Fighter of the Nightman

Don't go for the evolutions, that's all i can say. They are very tight and have a lot of mid-range.
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
sacamano79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

Bare knuckle WARPIG!
enough said.

people will say no dont listen to him the aftermath is the pickup you want from bkp.
I have both in two simularly wooded guitars. and if your want note clarity plus good meaty bass.. the warpig is your answer. the neck in the matched set is absolutely fantastic for cleans even though its a seriously hot pickup

That shows a quite good comparison in deifintion between 4 very common bridge pickups for your style of metal. watch the whole thing its well worth it. Kieth merrow knows what hes doing
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
LaidBack
Call me Mike

In the neck, I really love my DiMarzio Air Classic in my LP. Just awesome for cleans. They are voiced somewhat scooped, but it works out awesomely. As for the bridge, the sky's the limit.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Slayterica

for the neck i really love the seymour duncan pearly gates, they are awesome for cleans
Slayterica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I really think you might like a tone zone in the bridge dude. If it is one thing that pickup has, it is bass. I think that with the EQ on the JSX you should be able to offset any sort of flub or excess bass.

As far as the neck goes, I really, really like the liquifire. My only concern would be that it might not play nice with mahogany, but I don't know enough. Other than that, I really like gibson's 498 or whatever they put in the neck most of the time. Nice tone that sings really well with a bit of overdrive. TBH I don't use neck humbuckers enough to really say much on them.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

if you could wait until tomorrow i'll have a clip comparing an EMG 81/85 set to a pair of Bareknuckle Black Hawks in an Ltd H-1000. From what I've heard from them so far they sound fantastic, here's a clip Nolly did of on in his 7 string Daemoness http://soundcloud.com/nolly/alnico-black-hawk-7-test

pricey but they are very very nice. I wouldn't go Dimarzio for the kind of sound you're looking for. Dimarzio always cut really well and usually have very tight low end to them. Maybe try out the Seymour Duncan Invader as well. That is a very chunky pickup for the bridge.
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

assuming you want to stick to the big guys, a tone zone might be worth a look if it's not a "cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer" type of solution. i haven't tried the d-activator or crunch lab or anything like that, they may well be better for what you want.

the '59 is pretty scooped, i think. so if it's too honky, you might be in trouble... the jazz is warmer and middier, i'd say. Also i don't know if i'd say the distortion has a massive low end, its tone is very 80s, think later george lynch in dokken tones.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Did you always have the Custom/'59 combo?

I can't remember from your last pickup thread.

I'm running a TB11/'59 in my mahog geet and have no issue really. I don't really do modern death metal though.

I have an Invader lying around if you ever want to do some kind of trade.

I'm sure the BKP is the bees knees.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm sure the BKP is the bees knees.

yes.. yes they are.. preferrably the warpig for his needs.... De Ja Vu????
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

look into BG pickups hellarails for a bridge. they have a few different options for the neck as well. i am considering picking up a set from him, or the JAM pedals waterfall chorus. don't know which, but BG is very respected, especially on HC.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I love EMGs. The EMGs in my EC-1000 sound great through my JSX.

Problem is that I'm looking for a different sound out of my H. something more "raw", if you will, less compressed and clinical sounding.

If you're thinking BKPs, Painkiller or Warpig if you want raw.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Tone Zone eh? Never would have thought to look there.

I will check all those clips out guys

Is the Black Hawk new? Never heard of it.

Not sure on the Invader. I've listened to a couple clips, but eh... as you can imagine, it's a little hard to find clips of the Invader that actually sound good/decent/not shit. You know what kind of people generally love that pup

I've never looked into BG, will take a loot.

That's +2 for the Warpig.

@311 I've had the Custom/'59 for a while now. I had them in the last pup thread I made, but I think it was probably over in EG, not here. I should have just asked here in the first place.

I've owned a BKP Miracle Man before, but I only liked it slightly better than the Custom. It's what I sold to get the Custom/'59 actually. In hindsight, I should have kept it. But regardless, still looking for the right pups.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
That shows a quite good comparison in deifintion between 4 very common bridge pickups for your style of metal. watch the whole thing its well worth it. Kieth merrow knows what hes doing

Holy shit that vid was awesome. I love that song in the beginning.

Unfortunately it didn't really help much. I like things about all of them.

Well I've definitely ruled out the Aftermath. It's too tight.

The Distortion pisses me off. It's my favorite for non-palm muted tones, but the palm mutes just seem kind of weak. I'm not sure if my technique/EQ would make them suitable or not. I'm just going to have to get this one and try it out IRL. It's cheap enough used.

The Invader is the darkest and I really like that, but it also seems a bit shrill on the high strings. Will have to try to find more videos of that one.

The Warpig, all things considered, wins out of the 4, but just barely. Like, if I absolutely had to choose one of the four, I would choose this one. I mostly prefer the the Distortion for playing notes, and I like the low end of the Invader, but the Warpig doesn't suffer from the drawbacks of either (doesn't sound weak palm muted and isn't shrill).

So I may have to compromise with the Warpig. Of course I'll also be doing a lot more listening as well. BKPs are expensive.

Any more input on the neck pup? I did like the DiMarzio Air Classic quite a lot in the clips I've heard of it, to whoever mentioned that. But I would assume that it would be too weak to balance well with a Warpig or a Distortion?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
LaidBack
Call me Mike

For the bridge, try out the nailbomb, too. As for the balance issue, just raise and lower the pup to taste.

FWIW, I've got it in a LP Studio with the DiMarzio Super Distortion. The AC's 8.34K balances well enough with the SD's 13.68. The BKP Nailbomb is only 15.6k.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals

Last edited by LaidBack : 09-27-2012 at 08:06 AM.
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i'd have said the distortion, miracle man, aftermath (i assume, i haven't tried it) and custom were all in the same ballpark, tonewise. they're all doing that brighter, tighter not super-modern (more 80s) high gain type of tone. so if you don't like one you could more or less discount them all.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Maybe have a look into the Dimarzio Breed - the amp clips in my profile are a Breed-equipped mahogany Iceman. It's definitely a lot more "organic" sounding than your typical high-output pickups but not at the expense of clarity and note definition.

It's not the tightest pickup in the world and it's thick, fat and warm sounding so certainly shouldn't give you an issue with shrillness. The way I'd describe the sound when running it into a high gain amp is like being walloped in the guts with a sledgehammer.

For the neck if cleans are your priority then the Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell is the first thing you should be considering IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Is the Black Hawk new? Never heard of it.

yh its, only got released in the last few months. Its pretty aggressive, but a fairly balanced frequency response and quite high output. I have a pair but they're still not installed after my tech's soldering iron broke so i can report back pretty soon as to how it works in an Ltd H-1000
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: