Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Sheepbane
<The Bards of Today>

EMG 81/85 is the cookie cutter.
If you want real balls though go with something from BKP.
I have BKP Painkiller and Warpig in my RR3 and it just sounds so meaty compared to my EC1000's emg's.
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Sheepbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Maybe have a look into the Dimarzio Breed - the amp clips in my profile are a Breed-equipped mahogany Iceman. It's definitely a lot more "organic" sounding than your typical high-output pickups but not at the expense of clarity and note definition.

I feel like you've recommended the Breed to me for completely different needs (when I wanted pups for Manson/NIN).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredftw
yh its, only got released in the last few months. Its pretty aggressive, but a fairly balanced frequency response and quite high output. I have a pair but they're still not installed after my tech's soldering iron broke so i can report back pretty soon as to how it works in an Ltd H-1000

Cool, definitely looking forward to it. Any other experience you have would be great since our guitars are basically the same.

I can't believe or agree with $345 for a set of BKPs. That's more than I paid for the guitar in the first place.

Found a couple Invaders on eBay to watch. Can't find any trembucker sized Distortions for cheap though. I know the string spacing shouldn't make a difference, but... eh. Kind of annoying that it's F spaced anyway, since it has a TOM. Don't get the logic there.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
ikey_

bare knuckles. high output sheptones.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Cool, definitely looking forward to it. Any other experience you have would be great since our guitars are basically the same.

I can't believe or agree with $345 for a set of BKPs. That's more than I paid for the guitar in the first place.

Found a couple Invaders on eBay to watch. Can't find any trembucker sized Distortions for cheap though. I know the string spacing shouldn't make a difference, but... eh. Kind of annoying that it's F spaced anyway, since it has a TOM. Don't get the logic there.

Yh if they're gonna be more than the guitars price you paid for then don't bother with BKPs, they're great an all but if you're spending that much you might as well buy a new guitar

I had the fortune of playing my mate's guitar that has an Invader in the bridge (its just a single pickup guitar) and was really surprised. It is supposed to be really muddy, but through a Randall RH150 even with the bass fairly high it cut really really well, but still had a load of chunk to it. Would definitely recommend it for the bridge, possibly a Jazz in the neck.
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #25
OliOsbourne

I've always had the impression that Dimarzio Super Distortions were loose.

I've also only heard them once or twice so impression is kinda unreliable.

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #26
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I feel like you've recommended the Breed to me for completely different needs (when I wanted pups for Manson/NIN).

Quite possibly, but I can only go off what you've said in your posts and based on what you've said they're worh a look - it's not always easy to convey a sound through words though, and even harder to convey an element of a sound that's totally dependent on other variables :p

Based on what you've said your requirements are though I think the Breed might do what you're looking for - not too tight, uncompressed sounding,powerful, bassy, lots of weight to the tone and good harmonics. It's also a fair bit removed from those pickups you've already dismissed, it's certainly not similar to the likes of the Duncan Distortion or the Miracle Man. The Humbucker from Hell in the neck is nailed on though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #27
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
The Locust

I was lucky enough to get a second hand set of BKP warpigs for my ltd fx400, cost me a total of 60 with trade in of the stock 60/81 EMGs and I would never look back on it, best thing ive done, if you can manage to find a second hand set i would jump on it, the sound comparison between the old emgs (with the 18v mod) and the bare knuckle pick up set is unbelievable. Amazing note clarity and a ton of bass response.

I would personnaly describe the sound of them like being punched, really hard in the face... Brutal
The Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I would certainly pursue a used set... problem is finding a used set.

@steven seagull Thank you, I will definitely check out the Breed and the HfH.

@kyle62 I don't see any feasible way to get Irongears in the US.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #30
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=j-kKEg45hpU

BG hellarails i know i posted that farther up, but watch it, thats what i will be putting in my LP
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 09-29-2012 at 02:11 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #31
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Quite possibly, but I can only go off what you've said in your posts and based on what you've said they're worh a look - it's not always easy to convey a sound through words though, and even harder to convey an element of a sound that's totally dependent on other variables :p

Based on what you've said your requirements are though I think the Breed might do what you're looking for - not too tight, uncompressed sounding,powerful, bassy, lots of weight to the tone and good harmonics. It's also a fair bit removed from those pickups you've already dismissed, it's certainly not similar to the likes of the Duncan Distortion or the Miracle Man. The Humbucker from Hell in the neck is nailed on though.

Love the Breed with Basswood bodies.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #32
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

I'd say Tone Zone/Humbucker From Hell combo.

The Tone Zone has massive bass response and crazy harmonics, the Humbucker from Hell in the neck on the other hand has almost singlecoil-ish clarity, great for cleans, works great with craploads of gain as well, it always stays clear as well.

Also that's the only combo I can think of where the bridge PU would sound more saturated than the neck PU as you want.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #33
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Can anyone point me to any good videos of the Humbucker from Hell? All the ones I've seen so far have been dirty cleans. Looking for pristine cleans.

Hopefully gonna score an Invader soon, unless eBayers decide to suck.

I don't think the Tone Zone is for me, but I can't really say for absolute sure, since there are really no videos of anyone using it in the way I would be using it.

Not really digging the Hellarails. Pricey, and the videos I've seen don't do a lot for me. But I will search out more clips regardless.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Rate This Thread: