Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
JenoUnion

Using three fingers and hand position

Does anyone else use three fingers regularly? As in, not just for triplets or tremolo picking? I've been using three fingers on my left hand (I play left-handed, so it'd be your right to most of you) and I've noticed that while it's pretty standard to me, I sometimes have trouble syncopating my hands together on fast passages over multiple strings. Does anyone have any riffs/ideas for helping this along, or should I just continue with learning bass lines and practicing on my own?

Also, this is more of a pet peeve than anything, but does anyone else crook their hand in an odd way? It seems to me that my pinky just goes all over the place and my thumb looks deformed when I play... I have hitchhiker's thumb, and it usually stays like that when I rest my thumb on the pickups/lower strings, but compared to every other player I've seen, my hand looks ugly and contorted ;-;
JenoUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

i've found scales over and over again greatly improved the consistency with my 3 fingers. i find with 2 fingers, i can somewhat easily reach all the strings without having to move my hand very much at all, however with 3 i find i have to move my hand alot more, which by practicing makes my hand much more 'free' whether i'm playing with 1, 2, 3 fingers or a pick

as for hand position, i wouldn't know what the 'correct' way to do it is. for reference, here is how i do it. the pic doesnt really show what i do with my pinky, i keep it either on the E or hovering just above it when i play the E, i'm sure its not the most practical way to do it, however.

EDIT: well my thumb looks odd..
and violent and funky - infectious grooves
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Gessu
Learning Brain Drill! NOT

^ Also, try to keep your hand straight to avoid injuries to your hand
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
JenoUnion

This is kind of how my hand looks when it's resting...

The strange thing is, I was taking the pic and I realized that my wrist is at an angle, but I've never had issues with any pain or discomfort since I started using three fingers o.o
JenoUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
moody git
I bad writing

i was the same, i didnt realise how much my hand bends over the body. i don't get any pains either. but i'd imagine standing up would alter the position more, i took mine sitting down and from what i can see, you did too.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Sliide90027

Get the wrist beyond the edge of the body.

Then you can tear into any tone position.

Metronome and scales. The only way to train the muscle memory.

I have been using three fingers since I was...11 or 12. Eons ago.

Last edited by Sliide90027 : 10-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
jonathan.keeler

i can only really use three fingers when doing something like if a line was all quavers and there were two semiquavers halfway through, i would just use my third finger there. its like a roll from the third to the first finger. a good example would be bleed by meshuggah. i'm slowly getting better, but progress is slow.
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Sliide90027

The Fourth Finger is seeing some action too these days (past 6 years) by getting the wrist just above the low end of the pups
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: