Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
JayCartay

Suggest a cheap bass for recording?

Hi folks,

I want to find a cheap Bass for recording. I'm in the UK, so for those across the pond, anything upto $200 used or preferably under $150. I'd like to stay under 100 GBP if possible but will go over if needed.

I plan to plug directly into my interface and just add some basic bass to my tracks. It's not meant to be studio quality recording or anything, just something to complete my demos.

Any ideas on the best I can get for this very low budget?
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I did this a few years ago & got a Peavey bass for around 70, 'real' bassists who've played it seemed pretty impressed with it & it's been fine for what I've needed it for with enough tonal variance from the two pickups to create different noises for different songs
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
jumpaside

I just traded something for a Barracuda P-bass copy. Its not too bad. I'm pretty sure they're about $100 USD used. Try going to a pawn shop and see what they got
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I've seen Squiers sell used for around and sometimes less than $100 before. Personally I wouldn't buy a copy if the original is available for the same price. I bought a cheaper copy to learn on once and it was not a good idea. It needed so much work done despite being brand new and sounded rather rattley even with the ridiculously high action that it came with. I'm still trying to sell it now.

The most popular beginner / low budget suggestions seem to be Peavey, Ibanez, Yamaha and Squier. I can't speak for Yamaha or Squier basses first hand since I've never tried them myself, but Peavey and Ibanez are very good. I picked up my Ibanez for 60 and my Peavey for I think about 120, both with hard cases. Peaveys can be found for less than I paid though. Mine was just about 3 months off of being brand new when I bought it and in perfect condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Last edited by GAPendragon : 09-26-2012 at 11:48 AM.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
JayCartay

Awesome. I'm open to Ibanez guitars as I already own a couple of Roadstar II's :-)

I've seen a couple of GRS180/190's on eBay today...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I did this a few years ago & got a Peavey bass for around 70, 'real' bassists who've played it seemed pretty impressed with it & it's been fine for what I've needed it for with enough tonal variance from the two pickups to create different noises for different songs

+1. Bulletproof, and very cheap used.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Just double checked now I'm back home. The model of my guitar is a Peavey Milestone III.

Here's links to a couple currently on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Mi...=item43b3c52217
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-MI...=item337c611b80

Apparently the second will need "some work" on it, but he doesn't say what so I'd be wary about bidding on that one, but the first one looks good.

I also did a quick check on the completed listings, again only 2, one finished at 49 the other at 90.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Sent a question to ask what kind of work needs doing on the second one. If it's something minor it might still be worth looking at. Zodiacs are good too, I love mine. There's a Fury listed too currently at 40 with 6 postage. : CLICK Needs a new string tree though. If you're anywhere near Birmingham there's also this Tiger which finishes in 3 hours with a hard case, tab book and tuner. It starts at 80 and there are no bids so far.

Quote:
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Last edited by GAPendragon : 09-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPendragon
Sent a question to ask what kind of work needs doing on the second one. If it's something minor it might still be worth looking at. Zodiacs are good too, I love mine. There's a Fury listed too currently at 40 with 6 postage. : CLICK Needs a new string tree though. If you're anywhere near Birmingham there's also this Tiger which finishes in 3 hours with a hard case, tab book and tuner. It starts at 80 and there are no bids so far.

That fury looks almost identical to the Millennium 5 AC BXP. Nice signature quote btw

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
JayCartay

Cheers for that, much appreciated. I actually bid on the Tiger but I wasn't keen to pay over 85 really for something that will only be used occasionally. I'll keep an eye on those others
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
ARom22
Art Photographist

If you're going to use it for recording and only plan on having one bass, I'd save a little more and go with an LTD Vintage-204. I bought mine for $300 new and it is absolutely killer at everything it does. It's a P/J bass for one, so you've got wider tonal options between the single-coil and humbucker. The factory setup is great, the neck is excellent, the fret-work is great, and it sounds great. It's superior to a lot of basses several times its price if you ask me. Trust me, I bought it strictly for recording, but now I actually am a decent bassist as well because this axe just makes me want to play bass. It's that good.

In short, save the extra ~$100 and get a Vintage-204 - you won't regret it.

Book of Face
ARom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year

The Squier VM line is quite superb, unless you live in an area where it costs over $400.
You can find a used VM Jaguar (P/J pickups) for $150-200 or a P-Bass/J-Bass for around the same price.

A Peavey Millenium BXP is a nice choice too. I've seen them for $150ish used.

I'm not a fan of Ibanez because they just feel cheap to me until you get to the ones that cost around $1k. (Personal opinion).

I'm not sure how they are for recording, but http://rondomusic.com has a nice, cheap selection of basses.
_ThePanda_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThePanda_
I'm not sure how they are for recording, but http://rondomusic.com has a nice, cheap selection of basses.

In the US maybe, but TS stated in the second sentence of his post that he's in the UK, where after all the shipping fees and charges and all that nonsense they really aren't so cheap. Plus the Rondo return policy (the reason people feel safe buying them in the first place) doesn't extend to international sales.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Ibanez SR300 or Peavey Millenium BXP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThePanda_
I'm not a fan of Ibanez because they just feel cheap to me until you get to the ones that cost around $1k. (Personal opinion).

I personally don't like Squiers because they feel cheap.... and I don't like their more expensive Fender counterparts either. (Personal Opinion)

Last edited by Spanner93 : 09-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

And what we've stumbled across here folks, is a peculiar phenomenon often referred to as subjectivity.

I probably wouldn't bother with Squier, the affinity stuff isn't great (in my experience). The Squier VM/CV stuff kicks seven shades of shit out of all the competition in the same price range, but if 80 is your budget then that price range is about 3x your budget.

Pre-owned is definitely the only way to go if you want something worth owning for that sort of money.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
And what we've stumbled across here folks, is a peculiar phenomenon often referred to as subjectivity.

That is true of any "what shall I buy" thread.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #17
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
That fury looks almost identical to the Millennium 5 AC BXP. Nice signature quote btw

So it does. And thanks. Can't really take credit for the wording though.

The seller of the white Milestone III says the work that's needed is cosmetic only and it's still at 9.99 with 13.95 postage with just over 5 days left. The finish is worn in one place probably where his arm/sleeve has rubbed and there's some pale grey writing around the bottom on the back. Not sure if that's a sticker or not. And there's a small mark on the back of the headstock but other than that it looks pretty good to me. And since the ad still says it needs work and he hasn't posted the question on the page he's probably less likely to get bids from other people.

Depending on where you're based since it has no case I'm still trying to shift my Lindo if you just want something really really basic. Might need new saddles though, they don't move very easily.

Quote:

Last edited by GAPendragon : 09-27-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
JayCartay

Quote:

I probably wouldn't bother with Squier, the affinity stuff isn't great (in my experience). The Squier VM/CV stuff kicks seven shades of shit out of all the competition in the same price range, but if 80 is your budget then that price range is about 3x your budget.

Pre-owned is definitely the only way to go if you want something worth owning for that sort of money.

Indeed. I could spend more but I'm not planning to get heavily into bass playing so it doesn't seem worth spending too much.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:

No well I just liked the fact that it was from my bass thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #20
JayCartay

Quote:

The seller of the white Milestone III says the work that's needed is cosmetic only and it's still at 9.99 with 13.95 postage with just over 5 days left. The finish is worn in one place probably where his arm/sleeve has rubbed and there's some pale grey writing around the bottom on the back. Not sure if that's a sticker or not. And there's a small mark on the back of the headstock but other than that it looks pretty good to me. And since the ad still says it needs work and he hasn't posted the question on the page he's probably less likely to get bids from other people.

Depending on where you're based since it has no case I'm still trying to shift my Lindo if you just want something really really basic. Might need new saddles though, they don't move very easily.

Cheers for that. I think I'll bid for the Milestone III. Couldn't care less about cosmetic damage.

Rate This Thread: