User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCartay
Cheers for that. I think I'll bid for the Milestone III. Couldn't care less about cosmetic damage.

No problem.

Do you need an amp or are you connecting it straight to a computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Last edited by GAPendragon : 09-27-2012 at 06:46 AM.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Cheers for that. I think I'll bid for the Milestone III. Couldn't care less about cosmetic damage.

Good choice - I've always been happy with mine
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
JayCartay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPendragon
No problem.

Do you need an amp or are you connecting it straight to a computer?

I'll connect straight to the computer I think. If an OK amp comes up cheap maybe I'd get it but not really sure I need one?
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
I'll connect straight to the computer I think.

I hope you don't mean you're intending to plug it directly into your computers mic input?

That's not a good idea, that input isn't designed for the kind of connection you'd be putting into it.

If you want to connect your bass to your computer for recording, you'll need the appropriate type of interface - there's a sticky thread in the recordings forum that will tell you what you need to know in order to get the best kit for your budget.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Tostitos
Barely Awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I hope you don't mean you're intending to plug it directly into your computers mic input?

That's not a good idea, that input isn't designed for the kind of connection you'd be putting into it.

If you want to connect your bass to your computer for recording, you'll need the appropriate type of interface - there's a sticky thread in the recordings forum that will tell you what you need to know in order to get the best kit for your budget.

Second paragraph of TS's first post he says he's going straight into an interface.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
JayCartay

I've got an M-Audio USB interface, so fear not. I appreciate a lot of people probably don't realise they need that initially.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #27
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Good, you should be fine then.

Quote:
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
JayCartay

That Peavey looks like it might have some kind of gouge on the back of the neck in one of the pics..... Probably wouldn't be a problem though, I guess. I asked him if he has any buy it now price in mind just in case he'd take a cheap deal now without me having to wait for it to end.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
Second paragraph of TS's first post he says he's going straight into an interface.
Didn't re-read that far back!

Quote:
I've got an M-Audio USB interface, so fear not. I appreciate a lot of people probably don't realise they need that initially.
Cool

Over in the recordings forum we get at least one thread a day from people thinking they can plug straight in with a 3.5mm adapter
Jet City JCA22H
Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:
I'll connect straight to the computer I think. If an OK amp comes up cheap maybe I'd get it but not really sure I need one?

No, not really. The best bass sounds are usually a result of DI. You'll only ever get a "better" bass sound if you have a really expensive amp to mic up or something, and even then it's not necessarily going to sound better than a DI. If you're just recording with it, it should be fine. My amp set-up cost me over 1k but I still only use it at gigs, and find I much prefer practising with my bass run into my interface through headphones.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
JayCartay

Well the guy selling the bass needing cosmetic work has basically ignored me for 3 days so I've won this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221129412...984.m1439.l2649
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #32
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Amp & stand as well for that price? Congratulations!!

Jet City JCA22H
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #33
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Well the guy selling the bass needing cosmetic work has basically ignored me for 3 days so I've won this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221129412...984.m1439.l2649

51! Get in!

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #34
JayCartay

I'm very pleased. Messaged the seller to see when I can pick up. It's a bloody bargain

Last edited by JayCartay : 09-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #35
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Pretty good, well done.

Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
JayCartay

Cheers I'm working on something at the moment on Cubase and this will help me complete it. It's the first full song I've recorded on there (or will be!). I'm still learning the ropes but starting to get the hang of the basics.

Just can't wait to get the bass and get to grips with it now.

Any recommendations on which strings to put on it? I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom on the guitar or the equivalent D'Addarios when available.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #37
Ziphoblat
Bass

Use Rotosounds. They're made in England, not imported, so they're usually a bit cheaper over here than other equally good brands. Great tone and QC, and in my opinion feel a lot nicer on the hands when fresh than most other brands.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
JayCartay

Quote:
Use Rotosounds. They're made in England, not imported, so they're usually a bit cheaper over here than other equally good brands. Great tone and QC, and in my opinion feel a lot nicer on the hands when fresh than most other brands.

Cheers, any particular gauge I should look at? Think Green Day, Foos, Blink, AVA type sounds. Not that anything I have written yet sounds like any decent band
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #39
JayCartay

Just wanted to point out that damaged bass on eBay is now up to 51! Makes me feel even better

Off to pick her up tonight.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I saw that had it on my watch list from when I sent the question.

I usually go for medium gauge myself, or maybe slightly on the heavier side of medium sometimes depending what the options are at the time and Foo Fighters stuff sounds fine on those to me. It doesn't sound bad on my one set of heavy gauge halfrounds either though.

Good luck with the pickup.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: