Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
palm mute
Reserved User
 
palm mute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Hastings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
How does he have any idea at all where he's going to land?

Who else is rooting for the Pacific Ocean?
__________________
In my heart I'm with you

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #42
ne14t
Registered User
 
ne14t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Not sure if serious and stupid or trolling?


Please elaborate how I would be stupid in this case, because I am dead serious on what I said. I ran with what I typed without looking at the numbers, this information would be valid if Baumgartner was attempting to dive from the Mesosphere or Thermosphere; however seeing as he is only going to 23 miles he will just be on the cusp of the Stratosphere as the Mesosphere doesn't start until roughly 30 miles. The risk of heat will not be as great but the risk of pressure issues will certainly still great, read how Kittinger's hand ending up swelling to twice the size from a pressure leak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_diving
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Baumgartner

I don't lie, troll or try and fabricate stuff, in fact I do the opposite and try to make sure people get the truth and facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
0.o

Almost all skydivers pull their chutes at terminal velocity.


Yeah terminal velocity was the wrong term to use there, as in a sense yes all skydivers do hit a terminal velocity, but the way they jump actually limits that velocity. On average the velocity would be approximately 120MPH, this is your standard belly first face down dive. Diving head first would decrease your drag allowing you to pickup considerably more speed in fact Kittinger and Baumgartner both hit the same speed of 614MPH so I am guessing that is top speed when diving head first. Which I can only assume if your going three times as fast odds are the force when you open your chute will be three times greater, but that's a bad way to put it as they probably have and axillary chute or something that slows them down I cant really say jumped from 19 miles before!
__________________
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #43
magnus_maximus
lord of the files
 
magnus_maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: behind you
Now that's how I'd prefer to do a marathon - vertically. Downwards.
__________________
captain cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #44
cptcomet
Band
 
cptcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
lrn to terminal velocity


I wasn't serious.

__________________
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #45
rudric
UG Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
If he attached magnets to his jumpsuit and embedded the ground around the landing zone with magnets of the opposite polarity, he wouldn't need a parachute.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
rudric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #46
magnus_maximus
lord of the files
 
magnus_maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: behind you
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudric

That there be some gud sciencing.
__________________
captain cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #47
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Please elaborate how I would be stupid in this case, because I am dead serious on what I said. I ran with what I typed without looking at the numbers, this information would be valid if Baumgartner was attempting to dive from the Mesosphere or Thermosphere; however seeing as he is only going to 23 miles he will just be on the cusp of the Stratosphere as the Mesosphere doesn't start until roughly 30 miles. The risk of heat will not be as great but the risk of pressure issues will certainly still great, read how Kittinger's hand ending up swelling to twice the size from a pressure leak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_diving
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Baumgartner

I don't lie, troll or try and fabricate stuff, in fact I do the opposite and try to make sure people get the truth and facts.



Yeah terminal velocity was the wrong term to use there, as in a sense yes all skydivers do hit a terminal velocity, but the way they jump actually limits that velocity. On average the velocity would be approximately 120MPH, this is your standard belly first face down dive. Diving head first would decrease your drag allowing you to pickup considerably more speed in fact Kittinger and Baumgartner both hit the same speed of 614MPH so I am guessing that is top speed when diving head first. Which I can only assume if your going three times as fast odds are the force when you open your chute will be three times greater, but that's a bad way to put it as they probably have and axillary chute or something that slows them down I cant really say jumped from 19 miles before!


There is NO risk of heat, he won't be going fast enough. There is no pressure risk unless he has an equipment failure, so I'm not sure what your point was there? He won't be opening his, or any, chute at 600+mph. He will hit his maximum speed in the first 30 seconds or so of the jump, and decelerate due to increased atmosphere from that point on, and open his chute at or around the velocity of a normal skydive.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.