Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Alphaform

Help finding an Acoustic

I'm looking just for the average acoustic because I'm going overseas soon and can't take my electric rig with me. I also just need an acoustic.

Since I'm working part-time, I don't have an exact amount of money that I'll be earning in time before I leave (26th November). My estimation is I have a budget of around $250-400 perhaps. I hear lots of budget guitars and they sound like cheap plastic.

I was looking at maybe the Takamine D Series.

**Highly preferred to be Acoustic Electric***

Thanks.

Last edited by Alphaform : 10-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Alphaform

Also I'm in Melbourne Australia.

If anyone can find like a great guitar at a really good deal let me know too. Like if you can find a really cheap Cole Clark Fat Lady.

Ta.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
|Long|
String Theory

Hi Alphaform,

Your situation isn't that uncommon, Australia is a great place I here, but you get shafted on guitar prices (er anything imported really).

A few questions to start off.
Where are you moving to? It is possible that the place where you are moving too will have a better selection and pricing available.

How long are you leaving for? You stated your price range, so I presume you want to keep this guitar for quite some time and not throw it away after your travels are complete?
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Alphaform

I'm heading over to India for some work with friends and will be over there for 2 months. So in terms of better selection, I find it kind of unlikely lol.

Yes I would like to keep this guitar for some time. If I had the money I would've already bought a FL1 from Cole Clark but I spent the money on an AC30C2.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
I'm heading over to India for some work with friends and will be over there for 2 months. So in terms of better selection, I find it kind of unlikely lol.

Yes I would like to keep this guitar for some time. If I had the money I would've already bought a FL1 from Cole Clark but I spent the money on an AC30C2.

Hmm. Right then. Yes, I don't know how much India would improve your selection.

You are right on the Fat Lady though. She is a beauty. I was lucky enough to play one. Their pick systems are unbeatable and their options are great! The one I played was sadly to bright for my tastes, but that was because of the woods used.

Lets get back to it. What guitar brands are in your area? and although it kind of seems like you may have done this already, have you gone into the shops and play all the instruments? What popped out to you?

Which guitars felt the best? In that price range and where you live, there may be a trade off involved in finding the best feeling AND sounding guitar.

Another important note however, is the climate in India. IIRC India is quite humid most of the time, so a lot of care would be required to keep a solid top and solid wood guitar in proper condition. Zorb-it packs I think is what they are called, can be used to remove moisture from the air.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Alphaform

Most brands are. The problem is our biggest national music store just shut down (Allans Music). Here's their website if you spot much. Most of their stock is gone now

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/p...eel_String.aspx

The other closest to me is Cranbourne Music but they have a small collection.

http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/c...%20GTRS&open=90

Other than that there's the online music stores Haworth and Musos Corner. And then well, ebay.

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm
http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/

I havnt really had the time to go try them out. But when I do I'd like to know what to look for. I do prefer dreadnaughts though. My only real requirements are dreadnought + acoustic electric. And not sounding like sh*t plastic!

Off the top of my head I know there'll be Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Yamaha, Fender, Cort, Gibson, Ibanez, Ashton, Maton, Cole Clarks and there may be more that I'm not aware of. Allans use to stock Breedloves, Ovations, Seagulls but those have all ran out of stock. Haworth may have more.

Edit: The full list of acoustics allans have at the moment

Almansa
Breedlove
Cole Clark
Cort
Epiphone
Fender
Five-O
Gibson
Hohner
Ibanez
Kala
Legacy
Mahalo
Martin
Maton
Nashville
Ovation
Rodriguez
Squier
Stagg
Takamine
Valencia
Yamaha

Although the amount of stock in each will probably change every day since theyre in receivership they are not ordering anything else. Theres more on Haworth and MusosCorner

Last edited by Alphaform : 10-03-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz

I realize the selection may not be great, but I'd still wait until I got to India. No issues about breaking or getting lost in transit; no issues with changes in humidity or climate...

Hell- you might even be able to find something that is decent, and you'll have a story to tell.

Y'know, this fellow UGer who started up this thread over in the Electric Forum lives in Mumbai:

Quote:
Arjun_M

Maybe you 2 can strike up a conversation and get some solid answers?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-03-2012 at 04:01 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Alphaform

Ah okay, thanks for the tip. Do you have any idea of what I could choose around here anyway? I'll probably have a look in India, but just for my own knowledge.

cheers
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Sorry, I'm in the USA- most of the stuff I know from that area of the world are mid- to high-end luthiers. And what isn't is electrics.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Alphaform

That's okay. Am really impressed by the Takamine's at the moment anyway.

Rate This Thread: