Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Omni-Virus

Want To Mod My Raven RG60 1x12''

Everyone on the forum keeps telling me to replace my amp. I'm not going to do so. It may not be the best amp in the world, but I deem it as acceptable, so instead of replacing it, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on how I could mod it.

It's a Raven RG60 1x12''

To anyone that wishes to post here, actually answer the question.
Omni-Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

What specifically are you trying to achieve by modding your amplifier?

With all due respect, this looks more like an act of defiance against the popular opinion rather than an attempt to solve problems through modding. If you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Moose_Guitarist
UG's Only Moose Guitarist

People keep telling you to replace the amp because modding it will do very little to make the amp sound any better. I know last night you were asking about putting a new speaker in it. Spending money on a new speaker for your amp is like putting a brand new interior and paint job on a car that does not run.
Honestly, I am with Sashki in that it seems like you are now just wanting to mod it to go against what people have suggested. Its gona waste and cost you a lot of money in the end.
Moose_Guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

You've got a couple problems with this endeavor. First, Raven isn't fond of giving out their schematics. They don't really expect their amps to go in to a repair shop since they are so cheap and most techs wouldn't touch them.

Second, most amps in this price range use surface mount components. This makes it very hard to work on. I can't confirm this second one because I haven't had a Raven come into my shop, and Google isn't giving me any relevant information.

Finally, there is the problem that you will inevitably outgrow the mods. It may sound better than it does right now, but you'll quickly find that you're (pardon the expression) polishing a turd.

Learn the gist of tube amps
end_citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-Virus
Everyone on the forum keeps telling me to replace my amp. I'm not going to do so. It may not be the best amp in the world, but I deem it as acceptable, so instead of replacing it, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on how I could mod it.

It's a Raven RG60 1x12''

Save your money. I am not trying to steer you in the wrong direction. Leave the speaker alone.

One thing you could do to help your situation might be to buy a PODhd and run it through the fx loop as a preamp. You'd be using the raven for a power amp at that point. It would be like have 12 new amps. (Does it have an FX loop?)

Seriously don't invest any money in your amp. As others have said you really will outgrow it. Glad you like the sound right now.

To upgrade your practice amp- you'd be looking at upgrading the components. Capacitors, resistors being the biggest. You really would just be replacing them with tighter values unless you could get a schematic and have someone suggest some values to change the tone.

Big thing is that you have not said what you are after in your tone. You just want to change it... doesn't help at all. Then you say you can't even change a speaker in your other thread......

Save your money.

Last edited by R45VT : 10-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:

It's a Raven RG60 1x12''

If its acceptable why would you want to mod it?

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Omni-Virus

It does good with sound but overall there's slight changes I want to make with my tone. More smooth punch and clarity mainly (not too much more clarity, but a bit more would be nice). I like the amp's equalizer and preamp so I figured the speaker's response and range would be the next best thing. I heard that one guy replaced his speaker with greenbacks or vintage 30s, I forget which, but then he said it sounded much better. I'm into warm sounds like jazz, blues, fusion, funk, shred/instrumental and heavy metal/neo-classical/nu-metal. I heard the celestion gt12 75 would be around what I'm looking for tone-wise as far as speakers go, and I heard a good speaker really can make a good difference in tone. I originally wanted to change pickups, but realized that my input isn't the problem but the output.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Use it as a amp head and get yourself a good cabinet. I am going to be doing this with a Fender Frontman 15 when I get one, just waiting for one to pop up on CL near me for $20 - $30.

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff

Last edited by Darkdevil725 : 10-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Its a waste I say still, but you don't seem to think our experience counts for anything Have fun. The money you're going to spend on a speaker could go towards a proper amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil725
Use it as a amp head and get yourself a good cabinet. I am going to be doing this with a Fender Frontman 15 when I get one, just waiting for one to pop up on CL near me for $20 - $30.

I... I don't even know what to say to this.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale

I... I don't even know what to say to this.

If you want to know why, its because I can.

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil725

If you want to know why, its because I can.

Ok, I was hoping there wasn't some master plan here or something

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:

It's a Raven RG60 1x12''

So wait...

Your amp is:
A. Acceptable
B. In need of modding

Our opinions are:
A. Wrong
B. Needed

You only get to pick one of each...
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Well... you could replace all the caps with higher quality ones in attempts to improve clarity, and then maybe lower the input impedance for more gain if that's something you fancy.
But in all honesty if you're not entirely happy with the tone of your amp and it's not considered very good in general by most (I don't have experience of your amp) then I wouldn't waste my time. As much as you don't want to hear it, you'd be better off saving up and getting a better amp. Then you can mod the **** out of your old one into firewood or something.

Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 : 10-15-2012 at 03:46 PM.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!

there are no mods available for that amp.

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ECistheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
Omni-Virus

Someone recommend me a 1x12" combo amp that has 2 channels. Clean channel must do warm jazz tones. Drive channel must do chunky, punchy, smooth, and warm metal. Make it not break the bank. Provide videos or sound clips. Keep in mind I'm using a basswood guitar with tone zone in the bridge and regular norton in the neck. If you can't do this then recommend the next best thing, being either a mod to my amp or a new cab or a new speaker or new pickups.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
Omni-Virus

And I know someone here is gonna be a tube purist so I'd prefer if you recommend me a tube amp.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Someone recommend me a 1x12" combo amp that has 2 channels. Clean channel must do warm jazz tones. Drive channel must do chunky, punchy, smooth, and warm metal. Make it not break the bank. Provide videos or sound clips. Keep in mind I'm using a basswood guitar with tone zone in the bridge and regular norton in the neck. If you can't do this then recommend the next best thing, being either a mod to my amp or a new cab or a new speaker or new pickups.

I'm glad I don't work in a guitar store, especailly one near you haha.
Not being funny but it seems like there'd be a fair bit of research involved in that, and why should we be doing that on your behalf?

Although from all that I would probably just go ahead and say get a modelling amp of some kind since you have quite a specific yet varied range of tones you're after. I hear good things about the Peavey Vypyr, so maybe go give one a try.

Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 : 10-15-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

I'll second the Peavey Vyper as a step up from the Raven at a low cost. That being said, I'm pretty out of the loop on what's currently in production. Perhaps you should ask that particular question in GG&A.

Learn the gist of tube amps
end_citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
Omni-Virus

No modelling please.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

I'm definitely glad I don't work in a guitar store near you!

Rate This Thread: