Password
Search:

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #41
jsantos
Hello, I am new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Just in general.
Everyone seems to be an expert on what works and what doesn't, yet I have a feeling most of the people here couldn't play fast & clean if they had a gun to their head.

That's the nature of the internet, though. It'd be a lot more fruitful for the OP, because then he'd know whose advice to take seriously.

Dude! I have mp3s on my profile. Not good enough?

The solo on Oxidation rocks by the way!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #42
chronowarp

Ya, it's alright. I wonder how I pulled off that fast lick at the end considering I just full blasted it instead of spending 4 weeks building it up from 10 BPM to 180 BPM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #43
jsantos
Hello, I am new here

Like you said, it was a fast lick.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #44
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Ya, it's alright. I wonder how I pulled off that fast lick at the end considering I just full blasted it instead of spending 4 weeks building it up from 10 BPM to 180 BPM.

if you were to stop using a pick you could play twice as quickly
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #45
chronowarp

ya it's funny because it was a chicken picking lick so I was using pick + middle finger anyway.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #46
Hail
kill both bass players

what about your thumb and pinky

you're not being economical
Old 09-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
what about your thumb and pinky

you're not being economical

that would require that I drop my pick, which isn't economically, because then i'd have to regrip it.

You can equivalently do everything u can do with PIMA if you do pick + ma + pinky. granted it's not timbrally the same, but it doesn't really matter when you're playing high gain on an electric guitar anyway. You can't really chunk-flicka and get the same attack without a pick anyway.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #48
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
that would require that I drop my pick, which isn't economically, because then i'd have to regrip it.

You can equivalently do everything u can do with PIMA if you do pick + ma + pinky. granted it's not timbrally the same, but it doesn't really matter when you're playing high gain on an electric guitar anyway. You can't really chunk-flicka and get the same attack without a pick anyway.

why do you need a pick

you so can, you're just not trying hard enough
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #49
chronowarp

Quote:
why do you need a pick

you so can, you're just not trying hard enough

essential for the dig and attack of rock guitar.

If you can find me someone who can play yngwie malmsteen-esque lines on a high gain- electric guitar without a pick, or any notable alt/punk player that can get the ker chicka lunk of fast, palm muted high- guitar without a pick then you might have a foothold in your shit-troll argument.

Last edited by chronowarp : 09-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #50
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

If you can find me someone who can play yngwie malmsteen-esque lines on a high gain- electric guitar without a pick, or any notable alt/punk player that can get the ker chicka lunk of fast, palm muted high- guitar without a pick then you might have a foothold in your shit-troll argument.

tosin
Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #51
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSg...channel&list=UL

Quote:
Just in general.
Everyone seems to be an expert on what works and what doesn't, yet I have a feeling most of the people here couldn't play fast & clean if they had a gun to their head.

That's the nature of the internet, though. It'd be a lot more fruitful for the OP, because then he'd know whose advice to take seriously.

I can play faster than you.

TS should listen to me and not you.

good argument.

(BTW I can and TS should listen to me cause I'm a baus)

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?

Last edited by griffRG7321 : 09-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #52
chronowarp

Quote:
tosin

WHAT IS THIS THING

IN
HIS
HAND
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #53
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSg...channel&list=UL

I can play faster than you.

TS should listen to me and not you.

good argument.

(BTW I can and TS should listen to me cause I'm a baus)

He can pull it off, but the timbre of his 'picking' is totally not something I can dig or ever would want to do myself. He executes everything else great, but when he does the fast lines it suffers. Nevertheless, the fact that the he's using the side of his finger exactly like a pick is sort of a moot point, because at point he's essentially using the same technique as if one were to use a pick.. I'm assuming hails troll-criticism was related to i-m-i-m-i-m fast lines like paco de lucia or something, which I've never seen somebody do with success on a high gain electric guitar, and is what I was part of what I was referring to.

Good player though.

Cough up a video of you playing fast...and then we can talk.
The issue to me is people one-upping each other (like Hail) discrediting viable options because its something they read on ultimate guitar, when they, infact, can't really play the guitar or even execute the technique they're attempting to give advice on how to accomplish. I've seen it before. I'm not new to the internets.

Last edited by chronowarp : 09-28-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #54
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
WHAT IS THIS THING

IN
HIS
HAND

picks are so 2009

Quote:
The issue to me is people one-upping each other (like Hail) discrediting viable options because its something they read on ultimate guitar, when they, infact, can't really play the guitar or even execute the technique they're attempting to give advice on how to accomplish. I've seen it before. I'm not new to the internets.

and from literally every guitar teacher i had back in the day when i didn't play superior instruments like bass

Last edited by Hail : 09-29-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #55
chronowarp

lolbass

the funny thing is that I think we believe the same exact thing, you just chose to cling onto one aside in my entire post and treat it as if that was my entire point.

I didn't say PLAY IT SLOPPY AS SHIT THEN TRY TO CLEAN IT UP WITHOUT LEARNING THE FUNDAMENTALS. I told the kid he's going to hit a brickwall if he only linearly increases speed, which is true. It's a mental and physical barrier that comes from the nuanced adjustments that need to be made when playing above a certain threshold. If something is ingrained into your muscle memory, then you clearly have learned the mechanics of whatever it is you're trying to do, and you shouldn't be developing bad habits if you occasionally force yourself to attempt and become comfortable at faster speeds.

Last edited by chronowarp : 09-29-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #56
chronowarp

That video is way too lo-fi to tell, but half the song he's playing a slap guitar riff (why would he need a pick for that). But whenever he plays a fast single note line you can see his hand in a picking position (thumb + index)...can't particularly tell if he has one with the video quality, but I see him motion like he's grabbing his pick from his mouth multiple times in the vid.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #57
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:

Cough up a video of you playing fast...and then we can talk.

>griffs profile
>Evo challenge
>That MP3 was about 3 years ago
>Go figure

In defence of Hail, you don't need to play a particular instrument to know that slow controlled practice leads to good technique which over time leads to being able to play fast.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #58
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
>griffs profile
>Evo challenge
>Go figure

In defence of Hail, you don't need to play a particular instrument to know that slow controlled practice leads to good technique which over time leads to being able to play fast.

But if he played the guitar he would know. Picks change the way the strings sound. And he wouldn't be acting like chomo over there should put his pick down..he should know why guitar players use a pick to begin with.

like someone arguing with Eddie van halen telling him, he should quit using his pick its not economical.

I think its important to learn as many techniques as you can. even if you feel like it will slow you down, after you get the hang of it. its worth it, and you'll be all around a skilled player.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #59
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmetalhead
But if he played the guitar he would know. Picks change the way the strings sound. And he wouldn't be acting like chomo over there should put his pick down..he should know why guitar players use a pick to begin with.
Indeed they do. Not only that, but different pick materials and thicknesses produce much different tonalities. The effect is most pronounced though, when playing acoustics, or electrics clean.

"Hybrid picking" is worth investing some time and effort learning. Listening to Richard Thompson's mastery of the technique would bear that out. (T +I hold the pick, M & R finger pick). Although his Celtic flavored music may not be everybody's cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmetalhead
like someone arguing with Eddie van halen telling him, he should quit using his pick its not economical.
Wazza matta? You don't think the "experts" at UG could teach Eddie a thing or two? That's "cyberblasphemy"!
Who knows, they might even turn him into a megastar!

And believe you me, some of our experts know how to put the "ass", in "blasphemy"..

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-29-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #60
chronowarp

Quote:
>griffs profile
>Evo challenge
>Go figure

Didn't hear anything fast or tech on your profile, but I did like those short little blues clips. You have good dynamics and articulation.

Rate This Thread: