User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #61
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
I told the kid he's going to hit a brickwall if he only linearly increases speed, which is true

when you tell a beginner who isn't practicing properly "well you'll hit a brick wall later if you do it the slow, right way so here's this thing to break up the monotony" they're not going to bother with the fundamentals. ask my sweeping technique from like 30 years ago, it's just better to fight through it until you're confident enough in your own ability to make those kinds of calls.

the goal is to teach people to teach themselves, and they need to put in the hours of fundamentals so they don't run into RSI, poor economy of motion, and sloppy technique in a few years. once he's got two or three songs up to speed properly (within a musical context), he'll probably not even need to mess with a metronome outside of a particularly tricky part, and if he's just running up and down scales, it's important for him to ask "why am i trying to play fast, and what kind of music am i aiming to play" because it may well be a waste of his time to play fast without musical context if he doesn't plan on writing music centric to exercises.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #62
chronowarp

I think you're right, in the case of a beginner. But the OP said he's been playing for 4 years. I would think someone at that level would have the fundamentals down.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #63
Hail
kill both bass players

if he can't play what he needs to play and isn't self-sufficient, i'd say he's a beginner, regardless of time consumption

it's a demeaning label, but it's the only real way to put it. unless he's properly been on a regimen for the last year, especially if guitar is his first instrument, it's hard to say he's functional in a setting beyond exploring his own boundaries (which is basically what he's doing now). i've met people who've been playing for 10+ years who can barely strum cowboy chords
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #64
/by13

the best thing to remember is less movement keep your fingers close to the strings, and relax your hand if you tare tense you wont move as fast as you could. and practices slow and frequently
/by13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #65
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Didn't hear anything fast or tech on your profile, but I did like those short little blues clips. You have good dynamics and articulation.

The track 'evo challenge' has shredding at the end.

And thanks, those Mp3s are old though.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #66
Markisawesome

Souldn't this be in the Guitar Technique forum? o_O

AAAHH! OH NO! STOP SHOOTING ME!!!
Markisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #67
Spaztikko

Yes.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #68
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markisawesome
Souldn't this be in the Guitar Technique forum? o_O

But then it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining!
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #69
:-D
hi

poopy pee butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #70
Spaztikko

Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #71
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

^ Quit with the Llamas, it wasn't funny when it started and it's not funny now.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #72
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosion231
Hey guys, can someone give me advice on playing fast?? I've been playing for 4 years now, and i never quite liked shredding and stuff, but now i've been trying to use it...i can play some fast stuff, like the solo of master of puppets or some parts of sweet child oh mine...But when i start to shred, it sounds really sloppy and changing between the strings with my right hand its very dficult.

Thanks for the help guys, Apreciate it

play accurate, and play often. speed will come.

find some scale sequence patterns and practice them every day. make sure you are playing accurately. you should also spend at least an hour a day improvising over backing tracks or songs and trying to apply these patterns into your solos. and again, be sure to be accurate. most of my practice now is just playing. but i used to do half structured practice, half improv. but now i practice scales less these days as i am just practicing stuff i already know. i still practice scales and stuff when warming up, but i try to keep things a little more creative. you don't want to just be able to play exercises with no real musical value.

but anyway, i find the more i focus on phrasing and note choice, the more tasteful my playing sounds, even when playing faster licks. another thing would be to learn some fast repeating licks. they sound cool, are easy to do, and give you a couple of "go to licks" to call on if you just feel like hearing a flurry of notes. they are pretty easy to find lessons for and make yourself. just try to find musical phrases that loop around and around. that's all you need for repeating licks. maybe even try moving it to other areas in the scale. that's basically what scale sequences are; short musical phrases you repeat through out a scale. most fast licks are based on this really.

also make sure you aren't tensing up either of your hands or arms. you want to stay loose. staying loose means you have control over what you are doing. again, accuracy. you shouldn't need any more force than what is needed to play the note. obviously there are times you need to grip more or pick harder but with picking, try to let the weight of your hand and pick do most of the work. look up eric johnson and his lessons. his pick technique is what i use mostly and i find it helps in staying loose. i use a lot of his phrasing ideas too.

Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear : 09-30-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: