Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Amp Buzzing - Wiring Perhaps?

I'm just going to cut to the chase. I have an off campus house at college and I've brought with me my little Line 6 Spider III 30 to practice with when I'm away from the rest of my good gear at home. That said, there's this constant buzz (as if the guitar isn't grounded properly) that's apparent mostly with a gain channel and not so much the clean channel. It's only present though at my home at college and not at my actual house. For this reason, I've been making the assumption that it's just noisy wiring from the older off campus house than in my newer home. Is there anything that can be done to limit this sound? It's rather annoying and it's really destroying the clarity of palm mutes which have gained this fizzy popping sound due to the feedback. Also, I haven't brought the Line 6 back to my home to confirm that it doesn't also buzz there (implying it may have just broken in transit). Any ideas?
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
NeXEkho

Are the sockets at college grounded properly? Are you using 3-pin power connectors with a ground pin?

If all else fails, have you got the noise gate turned on?
NeXEkho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXEkho
Are the sockets at college grounded properly? Are you using 3-pin power connectors with a ground pin?

If all else fails, have you got the noise gate turned on?

The sockets appear to be grounded fine (as my computer's JBL speakers are also plugged into the same source and do not produce excess sound) and the amp is plugged into a very good Belkin power strip/surge protector which is properly grounded as well (and was the same one I had the amp plugged into at home so I've drawn it out of the equation as the source of the excess sound).
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: