Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Some help choosing new speakers

I've been thinking about swapping out the speakers in my 2x12 for something a little bit different, but I'm not sure what I want. I recently tried a 2x12 with V30s, and I'm not sure I like them. They seemed a bit thin and treble-y for me, but I really didn't change my EQ much when I was messing with them. Overall, I think I would like something a little bit thicker with some more bottom end. I liked the clarity they had, which is my current issue with the stock speakers in my JCA24S cab, which is that they're a little bit muddy and lack some clarity. Also, 2 V30s would probably be a risky choice for a 120w amp, since that's RMS and the peak output would probably be higher. Granted, I don't ever run my amp wide-open, but I don't want to have that risk available. I'm not set on any specific brand, but I will want to at least be able to hear demos of the speakers before I buy them. Here's the basic thread info:

Budget: I'm not really sure. The less I have to pay, the better. I would say no more than $200 - $250, with $300 being my absolute maximum.

Genres: I play Metal in my band, more specifically, Groove/Thrash/Progressive Metal. My biggest influences in terms of guitar would be Mark Morton, Slash, Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci, Alexi Laiho, J.D. Cronise, and Steven Wilson. When it comes to bands that I base my tone off of, Black Label Society, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, and The Sword are all good examples.

New or Used: I don't honestly care, as long as I can easily get my hands on the gear when I'm ready to buy it. I would prefer new, but It doesn't matter too much.

Home or Gig: Both, but I'm more concerned about my Live tone than my bedroom tone.

Location: Marietta, Ohio; Parkersburg, West Virginia; and Athens, Ohio are all options

Current Gear: In my sig
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Take a look at the offerings from Eminence. They seem to be developing quite a following. You could look at the Swamp Thang or the Black Powder. They both seem to favor darker tones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Grawgos

Jensen electric lightning
Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Don't worry about the peak power blowing speakers. Speaker manufacturers know how tube amps are rated and their speakers are designed to handle peak power. Ideally a guitar speaker will handle 150% of its power rating before failure.

Maybe mix one of your current speakers with 1 v30, that might give you the clarity with the bottom end you're looking for.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

swamp thangs

maybe eminance wizards
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

The Eminence Swamp Thang combined with the Man O War is fantastic. Very big sounding and balanced.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

Texas heats are dark.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
ikey_

WGS speakers. most are celestions clones BUT unlike chinese made celestions that sell for 150 or so cause if brand name, WGS are made in the USA, sound fantastic, and really are high quality.

i was very impressed, i have yet to hear anybody say anything bad about them.

in fact, if you even send them a nice e-mail stating you are looking to buy WGS, and would like 2 speakers, post your guitar, amp setup, and all the aspects of the tone you want they will make a recommendation for you.

you might even ask for a same pair and a mix pair of 2 speakers. i would include amp wattage and cab type (open back etc).

but yeah i after my very positive experiences with them, and their really high quality speakers i really cant imagine buying speakers from some other place unless another speaker really had some magical tone. WGS are great products.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, after looking into Celestion and Eminence, these are the combos I came up with from those two:

Celestion:
G12T-75
G12K-100

Eminence:
Swamp Thang
Screamin Eagle

Thoughts on these combos?

I did Jensen's Tone Generator thing, which basically is e-mailing them for a recommendation, but via a neat little form they have. I looked at the WGS website, but I haven't emailed them yet. I'll be doing that immediately after I post this reply.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Also, 2 V30s would probably be a risky choice for a 120w amp, since that's RMS and the peak output would probably be higher. Granted, I don't ever run my amp wide-open, but I don't want to have that risk available. I'm not set on any specific brand, but I will want to at least be able to hear demos of the speakers before I buy them. Here's the basic thread info:

you would be fine, speakers can generally take more than there nominal rating much like tube amps can output more than their nominal rating. i ran my PPC212 (with V30's at the time) with my sunn 1200S for quite a while. i cranked the SOB too. while the sunn is rated at 120 watts, i am pretty sure they were sandbagging the nominal output (it runs four 6550's in the power section)

Quote:
Budget: I'm not really sure. The less I have to pay, the better. I would say no more than $200 - $250, with $300 being my absolute maximum.

Genres: I play Metal in my band, more specifically, Groove/Thrash/Progressive Metal. My biggest influences in terms of guitar would be Mark Morton, Slash, Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci, Alexi Laiho, J.D. Cronise, and Steven Wilson. When it comes to bands that I base my tone off of, Black Label Society, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, and The Sword are all good examples.

New or Used: I don't honestly care, as long as I can easily get my hands on the gear when I'm ready to buy it. I would prefer new, but It doesn't matter too much.

Home or Gig: Both, but I'm more concerned about my Live tone than my bedroom tone.

Location: Marietta, Ohio; Parkersburg, West Virginia; and Athens, Ohio are all options

Current Gear: In my sig

i'd recommend a combo of a V30 with a G12K-100. gives a good modern distortion tone, the V30 helps cut with it's mid spike, the K-100 is even and gives good low end. both of them are pretty aggressive, and they compliment each other very well.

i am actually not a big fan of this combo, but i try to give advice i think that suits a person's needs. many people have had good results with this combo playing your styles of music and that is why i recommended this setup

edit: and craig's man-o-war and swampthing combo is really good too. i tried them over his house. punchy as hell

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 09-24-2012 at 12:21 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
you would be fine, speakers can generally take more than there nominal rating much like tube amps can output more than their nominal rating. i ran my PPC212 (with V30's at the time) with my sunn 1200S for quite a while. i cranked the SOB too. while the sunn is rated at 120 watts, i am pretty sure they were sandbagging the nominal output (it runs four 6550's in the power section)

i'd recommend a combo of a V30 with a G12K-100. gives a good modern distortion tone, the V30 helps cut with it's mid spike, the K-100 is even and gives good low end. both of them are pretty aggressive, and they compliment each other very well.

i am actually not a big fan of this combo, but i try to give advice i think that suits a person's needs. many people have had good results with this combo playing your styles of music and that is why i recommended this setup

edit: and craig's man-o-war and swampthing combo is really good too. i tried them over his house. punchy as hell

+311.

i am practically a K100 wh*re

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:

I honestly have wanted that setup (V30 and K100) in the past, but I'm just not sure if the V30 is a speaker I'm interested in after trying it. I mean, my stock speakers in me Cab are giving me more of what I want than the V30's gave me. If it'll help at all, this is the best description I can give of what I'm looking for:

I want a speaker that has a tight, powerful low end, a clear, snarling mid range with plenty of attack, and a crisp high end that isn't shrill but is still smooth. If I could rate it's darkness/brightness on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the brightest speaker available and 10 being the darkest, I would want a 7 or 8. I want it to be articulate and have plenty of clarity while still having a lower-mid growl to it and that tight bottom end.

Hopefully that helps and makes sense. It's hard to describe guitar tone in words.

Also, if it helps, I sat here and played/paused/restarted the "Heavy" clips of the Screamin Eagle and Swamp Thang until they lined up and played at pretty much the same time and I really liked that sound. It seemed a bit thick, which was probably due to it being double-tracked and not one track through two speakers, and it lacked the gain that the style of music I play uses, but it seemed close. So far, I would say that's my favorite combo, but I haven't heard demos of the other combo or what Jensen or WGS has to offer. Also, I would prefer to just have one speaker that will give me what I want, since any gig that I'm mic'd at will only be micing one speaker, so the other one is more or less useless.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
gumbilicious
beginner

^try craig's suggestion then. the man-o-war and swampthing.

i will warn you, when i tried this combo over at his place, i was playing a brigand. so i don't know if i liked the speaker combination so much as i liked the amp (i guess i should have actually brought one of my amps in to try it out). but what i got from his cab while playing it was pretty much what you are describing, maybe a little brighter than a 7 though, but it handled low end just fine.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 09-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
^try craig's suggestion then. the man-o-war and swampthing.

i will warn you, when i tried this combo over at his place, i was playing a brigand. so i don't know if i liked the speaker combination so much as i liked the amp (i guess i should have actually brought one of my amps in to try it out). but what i got from his cab while playing it was pretty much what you are describing, maybe a little brighter than a 7 though, but it handled low end just fine.

I'll consider it, but I wasn't really digging the Man-O-War when I listened to the clips on their site. I liked the Black Powder more than it, and the Screamin Eagle more than the Black Powder.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #15
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

i didn't like the screamin eagle i had.

i like the texas heat.

black mountains are good.

i kinda like the wizards best out of their regular line.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Something that might help, here are some specific songs that all have tones that are very near what I'm seeking:

Are You Dead Yet? - Children of Bodom
Bed of Razors - Children of Bodom
Desolution - Lamb of God
Ruin - Lamb of God
War is the Answer - Five Finger Death Punch
Fixation on the Darkness - Killswitch Engage
As Diehard As They Come - Hatebreed
Destroy Everything - Hatebreed
Pray for Villains - DevilDriver
Hourglass - Diecast
Outcast - Ektomorf
Two Weeks - All That Remains

Specifically, The Hatebreed stuff, Lamb of God stuff, and Children of Bodom stuff. I like the growl and low end in Outcast and War is the Answer, though. I know some of that is due to their drop-tuning, but some of it is from their speakers and amps, and my amp definitely delivers on the low-end.

EDIT: How are K-100's or Swamp Thangs on their own? Like I said above, if I can keep it to one speaker, that would be optimal, just because of when I'm mic'd up.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 09-24-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
ikey_

definitely tell WGS those celestion / eminence models when you e-mail them. they do make a lot of celestion clones, so they might have an exact match (like v30 and veteran 30 for example).
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
definitely tell WGS those celestion / eminence models when you e-mail them. they do make a lot of celestion clones, so they might have an exact match (like v30 and veteran 30 for example).

In fact, I'm pretty sure I did just that when I e-mailed them. I was pretty thorough about my description.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
Grawgos

Quote:
EDIT: How are K-100's or Swamp Thangs on their own? Like I said above, if I can keep it to one speaker, that would be optimal, just because of when I'm mic'd up.

I'm just a home player and I run a Wampler triple wreck into a black heart handsome devil with a BH 1x12 closed back cab. I changed the speaker to a swamp thang and the bass was really overpowering. It wasn't muddy, but had I to turn the bass on the pedal and the amp down from where I normally kept it. Using the boost function on triple wreck was almost unusable unless the bass was drastically turned down.

I switched to the Jensen electric lighting and it has a strong and tight bottom end without overpowering the mids and treble and there is no muddy ness at all. Clear and articulate even with heavy gain and the mids can be cranked without getting honkey. The speaker sounds great at any volume and any eq setting I dial in.

So basically I'm sticking to my reccomdation of the Jensens and reccomending that you don't get two swamp thangs.

Last edited by Grawgos : 09-24-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Grawgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

For what it is worth, I love the Screamin' eagle in my 6505+. Very sweet speaker, cut down on the fizzyness a bunch, it is very focused tight tone. I haven't messed with Swamp Thangs too much, but I love my Texas heats. If you need a big, chunky tone that still can cut, they are really awesome. I would also check out everyone else's offerings, I just wanted to throw my experience in here with eminence ( I'm a fanboy)

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: