Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
smokeynichol

Ovation question??

Anybody familiar with this particular model- 2012 Ovation Standard Elite 2778AX-FKOA Acoustic Electric - How's the Koa measure up for country/blues style of music- my son is about to try out this model out-i've played a few ovations -not sure the types of wood used on any of them are better than others compared to other such as Martin, Tak., Taylor-any info would be appreciated.
smokeynichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
GuitarzMyThing

Koa is very warm. It's like Mahogany but with added highs. One of my favorite woods to play blues with.
GuitarzMyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Even with that Koa top, though, Ovations tend towards the bright side. Not everyone cares for that. Love Ovations though I do- I've owned one since the early 1990s- I would note that a lot of country & blues players prefer the woodier, warmer sounds of more traditional offerings from Martin, Takamines, Taylor...you know the names. Ovations tend to be favored by rock & progressive types...though you do see some folkies and such using them. As I recall, Melissa Etheridge uses them.

That model has a deep-bowl, so it will project well even when not plugged in. And like any Ovation, it should handle any mistreatment it faces.

What's the budget for this purchase? Maybe some other guitars might be a good deal for your son as well?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Is this guitar a real honest to goodness solid koa top? Because if it is, you'd think they'd be pushing that fact a bit harder than they are.

The price point doesn't seem to add up for solid koa. Yeah I know, bad pun...

Just for the record, Hawaiians are guilty of the heinous crime of chopping down poor defenseless koa trees, and making ukuleles out of them.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Well, it's listed as being priced at $1200 on Ovation's site:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guita...uct/2778ax_fkoa

And everywhere says it's a "figured Koa"- no mention of laminates or anything else. As I recall, the other Ovations in this price range are all using solid wood tops as well.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-30-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Well, it's listed as being priced at $1200 on Ovation's site:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guita...uct/2778ax_fkoa

And everywhere says it's a "figured Koa"- no mention of laminates or anything else. As I recall, the other Ovations in this price range are all using solid wood tops as well.
Well, industry practice, at least with respect to spruce top guitars is, "if they say it's a "spruce top", that means it's laminate. But if they say it's a "solid spruce top", well, that means it's a solid spruce top.

Industry practice is also not to bother mentioning that the prevailing crop of, "exotic wood" acoustics are laminate either. I think they call them, "highly figured" or "spalted", or something to that effect.

I suppose it could be a solid top. But, keep in mind that Koa and spruce compete in two entirely different price categories

While I admit that Taylor's are in yet another category price wise, the fact remains that an all Koa Taylor, runs at or near 3 or 4K.

Just put me down in the skeptic's column. Although hey, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised. In fact, I'm going to trot off, and put "be pleansantly surprised for once", on my bucket list...

As far as Ovation's MSRPs are concerned, they've always been a tad brazen and optimistic when they attach them.....word!

In any event, if that guitar does in fact have a solid koa top, Ovation's shooting themselves in the foot by not specifying it. And that doesn't sound like the Ovation I know and love....

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-01-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I know what the industry practice on labeling is.

Example: a lesser model from Ovation:
http://www.ovationguitars.com/guita...duct/1778tx_4cs

"Solid cedar"

And a much lesser model:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitars/product/icc24_1

Is "Spruce".

The guitar the OP asked about is hundreds of $$$ more than those, and is "figured Koa". Why is it cheaper than an all-Koa Taylor? At least part of that is because that top is the only part of the guitar that is Koa. Hell- the top acounts for most of the wood in the guitar.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Captaincranky

As I said above, (after a final edit), if it is indeed an all solid koa top, they're shooting themselves in the foot by not explicitly stating that.

At that price point, I shouldn't have to guess or assume. Since you certainly know what industry practice is, you should be able to see where I'm coming from.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-01-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

It IS a bit like First Act's Custom shop still calling itself "First Act Custom Shop."

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The guitar the OP asked about is hundreds of $$$ more than those, and is "figured Koa". Why is it cheaper than an all-Koa Taylor? At least part of that is because that top is the only part of the guitar that is Koa. Hell- the top acounts for most of the wood in the guitar.
Forgive me for bringing this up, but as you may have gathered I have self control issues. Plus, it's just too good to resist

But, by your pricing logic, I have to ask, "if the fact that the Taylor being all wood, is responsible for the huge price jump upwards from the guitar in question", then it follows logically, '"if there's no wood in an Adamas, why should it cost more than an all koa Taylor......." . ROFLMAO

Here's a face palm on account, as I eagerly anticipate your rebuttal...

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-01-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeynichol
Anybody familiar with this particular model- 2012 Ovation Standard Elite 2778AX-FKOA Acoustic Electric - How's the Koa measure up for country/blues style of music- my son is about to try out this model out-i've played a few ovations -not sure the types of wood used on any of them are better than others compared to other such as Martin, Tak., Taylor-any info would be appreciated.
On a more topic appropriate note, I'm curious to know where your son's level of expertise is with a guitar. Does he have other guitars? Is this a step up? 'Cause $900.00 seems extravagant for an entry level player. By this post, I'm having a bit of difficulty determining if you play blues, and he's trying out the guitar. Or perhaps you're buying this guitar as a present to him for yourself. A touch more back story would be quite helpful.

When you hit the price point in question, overall quality isn't much of a factor. The decision should be almost purely made on sound character, and that's a hands on thing.

In any event at about the 750 to 1000 price range, there are a few Guild offerings, as well as some Breedloves which might be worthwhile. (Yeah, as well as quite a few others, but I think the Martins in that range may be the least bang for the buck),. Most of what you find will be spruce with solid rosewood or mahogany back and sides. So, if koa is what you've put your mind to, the Ovation may be close to your only option.

Here's the result of a search at Musician's Friend, using "koa acoustic electric' as the keywords: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar Keep in mind the $400.00 Deans and the cheap Ovation celebrity are plywood. So, the low point of an all wood is about $1300.00. And that's not necessarily a koa top. Didn't have time to read full specs on all of them though.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #12
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
But, by your pricing logic, I have to ask, "if the fact that the Taylor being all wood, is responsible for the huge price jump upwards from the guitar in question", then it follows logically, '"if there's no wood in an Adamas, why should it cost more than an all koa Taylor......." . ROFLMAO

Your logic is a tad off.

The Koa Taylor costs more than the Koa-topped Ovation because it uses far more of the expensive material- Koa- than does the Ovation.

In at least part of the Adamas line, the models that cost more than the Koa Taylor use a LOT of an even more expensive material than Koa- various carbon-fiber or woven graphites- which also require additional training and specialized tools to work with. See also Rainsong and Chrysalis guitars.

As for the few Adamas that don't use those materials? Some happen to have celebrity endorsements on them, which always jacks up the price. But the others? You got me. It could be as simple as a naked trade on the Adamas name- IOW, overpriced guitars with a huge profit margin for Ovation.

OTOH, they could genuinely have a real reason for their price of which I am not aware. Regardless, I can't tell by looking at spec sheets.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-01-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Rate This Thread: