Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Dr.Tong
Prog-Core \m/

ohms question!

Obviously one would want to plug say a 16Ω cab into the 16Ω jack on the amp, however in my situation I only have one 16Ω output (plus an 8Ω and a 4Ω) and two 16Ω cabs. what are the rules on plugging into wrong-ohm jacks? I heard that as along as the cab Ω rating is higher than the amp jack rating it's okay, but I just want to be sure before I blow up a cabinet haha, thanks everyone.
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Dr.Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
fender

you would sooner blow up your amp. Can the 16ohm cabs be hooked together? if so that makes 8ohms so use the 8ohm output on amp
fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
whoomit

I'm by no means an expert on this, but what the guy above me said is partially correct.

If the two cabs are hooked together in parallel then they should be 8ohms. If they're in series then they'll actually equal 32ohms, which is no use.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
I'm by no means an expert on this, but what the guy above me said is partially correct.

If the two cabs are hooked together in parallel then they should be 8ohms. If they're in series then they'll actually equal 32ohms, which is no use.

I'd be amazed to see a y-cable that would put the cabs in series. Basically every standard y-cable will put the cabs into parallel. The same goes for amps designed to use two cabs. That also goes for daisy chaining cabs.

Really to safely answer this question we need more info about the amp you're using. More info about the cabs would help as well.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Last edited by Kevin Saale : 12-23-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
I'd be amazed to see a y-cable that would put the cabs in series. Basically every standard y-cable will put the cabs into parallel. The same goes for amps designed to use two cabs. That also goes for daisy chaining cabs.

Really to safely answer this question we need more info about the amp you're using. More info about the cabs would help as well.

like i said, not an expert by any means

just want to make sure nothing goes wrong for ts n_n
Old 12-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
like i said, not an expert by any means

just want to make sure nothing goes wrong for ts n_n

I know, the idea is solid (the idea to assume your load is wrong unless you can prove otherwise).

Like I said as well though, we can't SAFELY answer the question until we know more info about all the equipment involved.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender
you would sooner blow up your amp. Can the 16ohm cabs be hooked together? if so that makes 8ohms so use the 8ohm output on amp

+1

if the cabs run parallel jacks then you could daisy chain the cabinets together (or get a Y cable) and plug them in the 8 ohm out of the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale

+1

it's really rare for amp outputs, cab inputs, or cables to run two signals in series. there is technical reasons for this:

-the wiring in series would get pretty convoluted cuz you'd have to complete the circuit and more wires would be required. it also harder to do with 1/4" speaker cable, it'd be easier to do with the speaker cable you use on home stereos.

-if you wire components in series then if a component, wire or connection fails then the entire system goes down which can be really bad for tubes amps. if you connect components in parallel then signal is still passed through the other components wired to it.

for those reasons, it is really rare to find series connected jacks on guitar equipment.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Dr.Tong
Prog-Core \m/

I do have a Y cable, so if I ran two 16 ohm 1x12 cabs through the Y into the 8 ohm jack that works perfectly? Would the same apply to two 1x10's? A friend of mine with two 1x10's has the same problem
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Dr.Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tong
I do have a Y cable, so if I ran two 16 ohm 1x12 cabs through the Y into the 8 ohm jack that works perfectly? Would the same apply to two 1x10's? A friend of mine with two 1x10's has the same problem

Yes it would work for you.

For your friend- speaker size does not matter. Its the impedance that is important.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
woad_yurt

Y-cable 'em up to the 8 ohm jack and get to some house-shaikin'!

If you want to be really sure, put an ohmmeter on the amp end of the cable; it should read somewhere around 6 or so if the impedance is 8 ohms. The meter measure resisitance, not impedance, so it'll always register something like 70%-80% of the actual impedance. I don't know the technical reason why; you'd have to ask a more tech-oriented person.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 12-24-2012 at 01:45 PM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
Y-cable 'em up to the 8 ohm jack and get to some house-shaikin'!

If you want to be really sure, put an ohmmeter on the amp end of the cable; it should read somewhere around 6 or so if the impedance is 8 ohms. The meter measure resisitance, not impedance, so it'll always register something like 70%-80% of the actual impedance. I don't know the technical reason why; you'd have to ask a more tech-oriented person.

The actual resistance changes when current goes through it. Its why the MASS attenuators use a speaker motor as part of the load, the motor is considered a 'reactive load'

Edit: I believe its reactive because a speaker motor is basically an inductor. Its been a while since I studied electrical engineering stuff, but a basic inductor is just a wire wrapped around a tube, which is basically what a voice coil is.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Last edited by Kevin Saale : 12-24-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Rate This Thread: