Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
j456235

Thrown Upon the Fire-Thrash Metal Instrumental

I mixed this one according to what sounded decent in the headphones. I would like feedback on the mix.

j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Mix-wise it sounds kinda muddy.

First off - it sounds like nearly everything's panned dead-center. If you do that everything will get in the way of everything else and you'll end up turning everything up to 11 just to make it heard. A better idea is to pan your guitars left & right, keep the bass central but widen it so it doesn't get in the way of the kick so much. Keep the kick dead center and move the snare and hi-hat slightly off to one side. Arrange the cymbals and toms around the stereo field as well.

EQ-wise:
The cymbals are lacking high-end;
The guitars have either got too much bass in them (so they're masking the bass) and not quite enough high-mid (so they're not cutting through). I'd put both an HP and LP filter on them to get them out of the way of both the bass and the cymbals;
The snare lacks presence (not enough highs);
The kick has plenty of click but not enough thud (boost the low end, or cut the highs where the click is so the thud cuts through more);
The bass is kinda inaudible but that has a lot to do with the fact that the low - low-mid end of the mix is fairly well saturated.

If you can get the rhythm guitar, bass & kick out of the way of each other that will help enormously.

Nice playing, btw.

If you want to C4C the link is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565583
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
j456235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Mix-wise it sounds kinda muddy.

First off - it sounds like nearly everything's panned dead-center. If you do that everything will get in the way of everything else and you'll end up turning everything up to 11 just to make it heard. A better idea is to pan your guitars left & right, keep the bass central but widen it so it doesn't get in the way of the kick so much. Keep the kick dead center and move the snare and hi-hat slightly off to one side. Arrange the cymbals and toms around the stereo field as well.

EQ-wise:
The cymbals are lacking high-end;
The guitars have either got too much bass in them (so they're masking the bass) and not quite enough high-mid (so they're not cutting through). I'd put both an HP and LP filter on them to get them out of the way of both the bass and the cymbals;
The snare lacks presence (not enough highs);
The kick has plenty of click but not enough thud (boost the low end, or cut the highs where the click is so the thud cuts through more);
The bass is kinda inaudible but that has a lot to do with the fact that the low - low-mid end of the mix is fairly well saturated.

If you can get the rhythm guitar, bass & kick out of the way of each other that will help enormously.

Nice playing, btw.

If you want to C4C the link is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565583

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've barely started touching on the focus of mixing and mastering and I'll take whatever advice I can get. I try and take some of this in and see what I can do in the future. Thanks man.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: