Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Ameer27

How do I start out on drums?

I'm going to buy a drum set very soon! Most likely in less than a month (maybe in a lot less). And I would like to know how to start out. I don't want to be taught by someone. I want to teach myself. So drummers out there, what is a good starting point for a new beginner? How do I get myself going?

Oh, and I already have the sticks, if that helps.

Thanks.
Ameer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Shor

It's pretty ironic that you are posting for help on how to start drumming and also saying that you don't want any help because you want to teach yourself?
In that case, take those sticks and start banging things!
I am, however, guessing that you mean you don't want to pay for lessons.

I just started with drums about a month or two ago, and what I'd recommend you do is actually get lessons...
If not...google youtube videos on a few things.
-Posture
-Height of your chair, distance to your pedals
-How to hold the sticks properly, and how to perform free strokes

After this...google rudiments, and start drilling WITH a metronome of course...start slow...speed up gradually as you feel comfortable at a certain tempo.

Try to balance your practice sessions with technique and playing basic drum grooves.

I know I am a super newbie at drums, so I am probably not the best person to give advise, but seeing as you are starting out just as I am, I figured I could offer some pointers to what will help you get started since I am also going through the above things.

Lastly...if you are into getting any DVD's I'd highly recommend Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons as it is simply amazing for hand technique.

Good luck and have fun!
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Ameer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor
It's pretty ironic that you are posting for help on how to start drumming and also saying that you don't want any help because you want to teach yourself?

I just started with drums about a month or two ago, and what I'd recommend you do is actually get lessons...
-Posture

After this...google rudiments, and start drilling WITH a metronome of course...start slow...speed up gradually as you feel comfortable at a certain tempo.

Try to balance your practice sessions with technique and playing basic drum grooves.

I know I am a super newbie at drums, so I am probably not the best person to give advise, but seeing as you are starting out just as I am, I figured I could offer some pointers to what will help you get started since I am also going through the above things.

Lastly...if you are into getting any DVD's I'd highly recommend Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons as it is simply amazing for hand technique.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks a lot.

This will surely help. And yes I meant that I don't want to pay for lessons lol..

I also already saw some videos on YouTube and I'll make sure to see more, as they'll surely help. I'll also search for the things you recommended, and I'll check out the DVD.

I also do have a friend however whose friend is an advanced drummer. Would you recommend I get just a few lessons from him to get me started?

Thanks again.
Ameer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
FrozenNile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor

-Posture

Good luck and have fun!

+1

It would be best to start out with at least a little bit of basic instruction so that you don't develop any bad habits in your playing.
FrozenNile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
ChamsRock
UG Fanatic

I would absolutely recommend you get your advanced drummer friend to teach you. But, before then, make sure you check out posture, stick grips, etc. Just because your friend can play difficult songs, doesn't always mean they play properly. He may, he may not.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

You have made a lot of threads about getting yourself set up on the drums. Whilst I appreciate your enthusiasm, I'm not sure the UG drum forum is the best place for all your questions, since there aren't a massive number of drummers on here. I think you should probably make an account on the drummerworld forums.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Metal G

Check out Andols Herrick's lessons on YouTube.
Metal G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Big Bang

One quick piece of advice. Earbuds are the way to go for playing along to records and instructional material. Forget about headphones, drums are WAY to loud for that shite. I'm not sure if you already have a kit. If not, either buy used or buy the cheapest drumkit GC/Musician's Friend has to offer. You can make a cheap kit sound halfway decent with good heads and proper tuning. Cymbals and a good quality kick pedal are where you want to spend most of your money. (I'm not talking about pro-level gear.) I like Sabian B8 Pro cymbals and DW 7000 series pedals for beginners. Good stuff for the price.
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

from what i have learned, as a musician (guitar, bass, drums, piano, and brass instruments) lessons are IMO required for success even just if you take them your first month. and then take another lesson if you feel overly stuck. ask for longt erm goals not anything short come back next week type stuff, that way you can drag your information from the lesson further.

i took a month of drumming, while most of it was stick control *one of the most important things in drumming* i learned some simpler beats as well.

also DO NOT start out double bass. you need to know how to play with you hihat cymbals with your foot.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 09-28-2012 at 01:58 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: