Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
aaron aardvark

2 new songs to review (Will C4C, I promise!) New as of Sept. 28th!!

I put 2 new electronic songs on my music website: "Will You Now" is the song on top and "Quite A Lot" is the next one down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review me, I will review you, I promise! Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436
aaron aardvark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
rustausa
Hola 7

Good job on both of them, I really liked them! Glad to see you use a wide range in your vocals (not monotonous) with melodies that become catchy after a while. What i loved most though was the little fills/solo's between the vocals. The Pad you used on "quite a lot" was simply beautiful! Good arrangement with both the songs too.
I'd maybe change the drums up a bit. They seem too simplistic and static for me , but thats only my opinion (if you were going for the more simplistic beats, then stick with it!).
Although I don't think too many people take a liking to that type of music, I thought it was pretty awesome! Great job
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
rustausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
BigSmokeDawg
Yes We Nyan!

Thanks for the comments!

I know very little about electronic music, but I'll try my best to give feedback!

Will you now - This sounds absolutely awesome! It's like something out of a Sonic game haha. The vocal are really cool too, but they seem to be a little bit loud (Might be my headphones) I really like it though, the "Instruments" sound really good, and the thudding drums are bad ass!

Quite a Lot - Again, the drums are great! Vocals also sound really good. A very solid track though. I like sounds around 2:00, they're really cool!

Do you want to check out my other song I finished making today? Here's a link! http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565474
Line 6 UX2
Squier Jazz Bass
Guitar Covers - DaBigSmokeDawg
Recordings, demos and songs - www.soundcloud.com/bsmoked
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
inkybutt
amp feedback lover

ok I have to say the fills make both songs. The vocals are a bit pitchy but I think that stylistically works with it. Especially in quite a lot when you sing the line you may see quite a lot. My fav of the two would probably be quite a lot, its actually very catchy. The only thing I'd change on that song was the sound of the snare. For some reason the snare sound irritates me, but thats a pretty small thing compared to overall sound of the song.

Anyway check out my new cover
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565221
inkybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Michael87

I listened to both of them. They are nice composition, playing is tight, your sound is also good as same as the production. Will you now has nice synth solo, but I prefer vocals on Quite a Lot and I guess I would be also my fav. Keep it up.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
LastBaron
Makin' it juicy since '09

Wasnt sure about will you know when the intro started up, I think you could do without it or change the intro up, but it quickly got much better. I like the sound that youre getting its pretty original imo. quite a lot starts off much stronger, this one seems catchier. really liking the synth around 2 minutes. youve a lot a cool and interesting sounds and structurally they are pretty cool songs. The drums beats are very simplistic but if thats the sound youre going for then they do a good job. keep up the good work and thanks for listening to my track!

0912 879 220
LastBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
thunderhans

Will you now:
It has nice synthies,and in my opinion a somehow 80s sound (especially the synth-solo!).
What i didn't like that much were that the vocals are a bit too overdone in my opinion, a little less could have been more here - but thats just my opinion

Quite a Lot:
you're doing a good job keeping the sound "alive" while using synths, which i find quite difficult, good job! you're creating a nice athmospheric soundwall, but i would say that a few "real" guitars in some parts could have made a huge difference for the song - in a positive way. But still a nicely composed song!
thunderhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
Barthounet

I'm "Will you know" is good. I like very much the vocals. That's reminds me something else but I have forgot ....
Like "Thunderhaus", I find that's a little like some 80's stuff and I like that.

The begin of "Quite a lot" reminds me some albums of Depeche Mode.
I like this song too. I think I'll listen these songs and the others later cause I like this kind of music.
I think you're a 80's addict, isn't it ? lol

(sorry for my english ...)
Barthounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
MetalCommand
Disappear to Infinity

Hey Aaron, thanks for the crit on mine, very detailed as ever
On to your stuff anyway...

Will You Now: A more electronic sound to start with than your usual style, but it I like it. The piano part is cool and then I like the riff at 0:30, really heavy. The heavy delay/reverb on the vocals suits the music very well. However I do think the vocals are slightly high in the mix compared to the over instruments. The keyboard sounds coming in around 1:40 are really cool too, seems like you've been experimenting a bit with different ideas, and I'm seems to have been a great success! Lead keyboard part I like a lot as well.

Quite a Lot- This song has a nice atmosphere, as has been mentioned, the pad sounds really great. The production and overall sound of this song is top notch, all the little electronic sounds are really cool. I like the chilled out vibe to the song.

Overall, I really enjoyed these a lot, top work! You've managed to branch out to a slightly different type of music, but retained your own recognisable style at the same time. Excellent songwriting!
MetalCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
awesomo41894

Will You Now: I liked it for the most part, sounds very experimental to me, however, I dug it. Great job, not much I can say about this song, the vocals fit well. It was overall a very nice song.

Quite a Lot: I REALLY REALLY enjoyed this one. The intro, was extremely interesting. The drum beat that starts under it is so basic, but fits so well. Its perfect imo. I like how this song evolves throughout as well. Overall, great song!
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
AfScatterbrain
Professional Scatterbrain

Will You Now - Like the intro sounds and bursts. The main synth sounds nice, and the drums do too, but I feel the song might benefit if the drums were a bit punchier, that's just me though. The vocals sound nice, but they could be a bit lower in the mix I think, that or maybe EQ'd differently. Really like the synth solo at around 2:15, kind of a basic sound but it sounds cool. Nice song.

Quite A Lot - Nice ambient synths. The vocals sound the same as the other track. I like the sounds in this one better, they're cool. The parts being played also sound good. Also a good track.
AfScatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Will You Now is nice & boppy - not sure about entirely losing the bass for the section 2.05-2.40, I think I'd have brought it back in a little earlier, but that's just personal preference really.

There's a little bit too much effect on the vocals for my taste but otherwise the mix sounds fine to me - kick's nice & present, other instruments aren't obscuring each other, could maybe do with a fraction more in the highs (but that could just be the shitty headphones I'm listening on).

Quite A Lot - a bit more downtempo than the first track, but it's got plenty of different sounds to keep things moving along so it doesn't get boring.

Mix-wise I'd say it's about the same as Will You Now but you've put less effect on the vox so it doesn't sound quite as overdone.

Style-wise they both sound like they're straight outta the 80s - reminds me of being a kid again
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Dude, kick ass tracks man! I love your sounds. Im not too sure about some parts Will you, but man I'm tripping on your beats. I love your fills man and how they totally complete the tracks. I cant say anything about the mix, I'm not too good at that, but overall, Im completely digging it!

Crit mine bro:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...33#post30396233

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

hitman_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
JetPackBlues

Quite A Lot:

I like the mixing on this track a lot. I love the ambience of it, and I found that your droll, sarcastic vocal style actually grew on me the second time I listened through this song.
I think that for this song's genre it's perfect and there's nothing I, personally, would change

Will You Now:

There's a good riff on this song. Although, I'm less fond of your vocal style on this song, it's a little out of place, too much delay. But the music is well mixed. I would add more bass to this track and make the drums more pronounced. (But that's just a personal preference)

JetPackBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
Altitudinous

Will You Now:

I really liked this one a lot. I like the production you've done with the vocals, but the music behind it needs to be a little more filled out to help lift the vocal up even higher. The mix doesn't sound very wide, perhaps you could try panning the bass and drums out a bit, to utilize more width of the stereo field? Just an idea. Maybe EQ more low end into the bass throughout the song. Besides that, it's a really cool song with a unique vibe, I'm into it. Nice work man.

-Doug
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
aaron aardvark

rustausa, BigSmokeDawg, inkybutt, Michael87, LastBaron, thunderhans, Barthounet, MetalCommand, awesomo41894, AfScatterbrain, Sleepy__Head, hitman_47, JetPackBlues, Altitudinous,

Thank you for the reviews! I appreciate it! Yes, I am addicted to 80's music (and 70's music, but I usually sound like the 80's).
aaron aardvark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Rokkstar

The tracks you highlighted both definitely sound good, and high quality. Kinda like video game stage music to be completely honest. Good stuff!
Rokkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #18
paidepk

I listened to "Will you now".
I'll be honest and say, that I'm not into that kind of music so its hard to give good feedback, but:
The mix is nice and clean, though I would've liked if vocals were bit quieter.
As u stated before, you like 80's music and I really get that vibe from your song, which I think is good if u wanted to achieve that.
paidepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
tottsk1

"Will you now"
Not my cop of tea, a bit too "happy sounding" for my taste. I don't think the vocals fit that well with the music, would have been appropiate if u made the music heavier and the vocals would fit more. I like the mix however and the song flows well. Good job
tottsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Will You Know - Good lead synth solo. The beat reminds me of Kate Nash's Caroline's A Victim - if you've never heard that check it out and you'll definitely see what I mean.

Quite A Lot - I can tell it was written by the same person, so you have a distinctive style which is a good thing. I like the layering of sounds in this one, which generates an effective mood. The sound is giving me a not unpleasant nostalgia feel.

Both tracks share 'mad scientist' vocals, which impart an ironic or knowing feel to the proceedings and definitely mark them out as your songs - the distinctive style again. If these songs were on the radio on Grand Theft Auto IV I'd play them while driving!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1566536
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: