Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
123mac123

What are the modes In Minor Blues (Pentatonic Blues)

What is the name of this scale (Like in Major scales you coud Say C Dorian or whatever)

Scale 1

And this one?

Scale 2

and this one?

Scale 3

And this one?

Scale 4

And this one

Scale 5

Much Apreciated thanks!

Last edited by 123mac123 : 09-29-2012 at 01:49 PM.
123mac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
chronowarp

Blues scale (minor pent w/ b5)

They're all the same..
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
HotspurJr

They all all the same. That's all the G Blues scale (the inclusion of the Tritone means it's blues, not pentatonic).

Repeat this after me:

Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Terrible site. They don't even label the notes as Bb and Db.

Perfect example of the amount of shit on the internet.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Terrible site. They don't even label the notes as Bb and Db.

Perfect example of the amount of shit on the internet.

this guitar player i'm working with uses it to write songs. he'll put the tuning as drop C and hit "c minor scale" and will use the bottom 3 strings for power chords and play pentatonic crap over it

so TS, if this is you, stop it, because i'm gonna have a hernia
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
this guitar player i'm working with uses it to write songs. he'll put the tuning as drop C and hit "c minor scale" and will use the bottom 3 strings for power chords and play pentatonic crap over it

so TS, if this is you, stop it, because i'm gonna have a hernia

Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
123mac123

But to Clarify, In Major you'd call this scale

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/gu...et&t=0&choice=1

G Ionian?

And this Scale A Dorian?

If you can identify my confusion please explain to me what Im thinking wrong thanks
123mac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
chronowarp

You're confusing scale positions with modes.

A lot of shit sites on the internet will break up major scale fingers into 4 fret groupings. That's great. The problem begins when they label these different positions/fingerings as "modes".

They're all just ****in' G major. They have the same notes as the modes of the major scale, but the distinction is in the tonality of the piece you're playing - not the lowest note of whatever position you start playing in.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
:-D
hi

no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
no.

yes.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
hi

: (

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Repeat this after me:

Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.

Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.
Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.
Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.
Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing the same scale.

Last edited by mdc : 09-29-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Hydra150
UG Spammer

eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
wat no maybe 14 at yougnest

It's a Sein
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Playing the same notes in a different position on the fretboard is playing a different scale.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123mac123
But to Clarify, In Major you'd call this scale

G Ionian?

And this Scale A Dorian?

If you can identify my confusion please explain to me what Im thinking wrong thanks

Nope. THose are both different positions of the G major scale.

Some people use mode names to refer to different positions, but this tends to be confusing more than it's helpful.

Life isn't made easier because there is no consistent naming. I would call those positions positions 4 and 5 of the G major scale, but some people would call them positions 1 and 2. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter - except that mode names are misleading and confusing.

However, a song being modal "means something" and talking about a song being in "A Dorian" means something (although on UG we can argue for hours and hours about what exactly it means!). What it doesn't mean is that it was composed or is played in the second position you listed, rather than the first position you listed.

(My quick and dirty approach would be that A Dorian is a song with those notes and a forced resolution to A, rather than G. This definition is too broad for some people, however).

Worth pointing out that people who do use modal scales because they're applying chord-scale theory (don't ask) can only really do so effectively if they can play all of them in one position, so the idea of modes corresponding to different places on the neck isn't useful for them, either.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
: (

Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Yeah, the names of the scale positions are the same as names of modes. They are the same scale but just different position. I think it kind of sucks when the teachers use modes as scale position names. I mean, it's OK if you understand that it's different than really playing modal music. And you aren't playing modes if you play different scale positions. It would be easier if they were just "first position" and "second position" etc.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc

^_^

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Spaztikko

:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: