Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
ZoaL

PRS Custom 24 guitar hum

I bought a brand new PRS Custom 24, it plays and sounds fkin fantastic... But there is one problem -.-... it has a very loud hum whenever i don't touch the strings, this disappears whenever i touch the strings again. (Dead Silent when this happens)

My other guitars almost have no hum at all in comparison to the PRS C24, is it supposed to be humming a lot?
ZoaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoaL
I bought a brand new PRS Custom 24, it plays and sounds fkin fantastic... But there is one problem -.-... it has a very loud hum whenever i don't touch the strings, this disappears whenever i touch the strings again. (Dead Silent when this happens)

My other guitars almost have no hum at all in comparison to the PRS C24, is it supposed to be humming a lot?

No, it's not supposed to be humming. It sounds like a grounding issue. Though I'm surprised that a new guitar of that price and quality started out with a problem.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
ZoaL

Yeah im also surprised that a guitar in that pricerange has a silly problem like that... :/ Everything else on the guitar is just top notch
Old 09-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

I'm guessing that it stops when you touch any of the metal parts?
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
ZoaL

Exactly.. Even stops when i touch a metal part of the cable going to the guitar
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

take it back to the store and get it fixed or get a new one.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
gregs1020
Hi mom!

it sounds like a bad solder on a ground somewhere.

Sean should be ashamed of himself.

just get it fixed at the store if possible. if you like everything else about the guitar a simple re-solder should fix it right up.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
ZoaL

I just checked a youtube video about the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4oh...feature=related 1.20min and on he covers it pretty well :P Exactly what my guitar is doing atm XD!

I wish it was so simple :P Thing is i live in Denmark, can't buy PRS from anywhere but Germany so i had it shipped here -.-. And to return is isn't as simple as i would want it to be
Old 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Make sure all connections are soldered correctly, especially the ground/earth wire, and make sure the pickup and control cavities are shielded with either foil/copper tape or conductive paint. Most guitar companies seem to leave this step out of the building process, even high-end builders like PRS. Most of the time you have to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
desperatechris
Banned

Yep, thats a grounding problem. Take it back to the shop. I guess that making a mistake like that in the PRS factory will most sertanly get you shot at dawn
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Yep, thats a grounding problem. Take it back to the shop. I guess that making a mistake like that in the PRS factory will most sertanly get you shot at dawn

Sounds like taking it to the shop isn't an option. He said he had it shipped from Germany.

T.S. A grounding issue like this can be as simple as a loose or broken wire / solder joint. If your comfortable doing so remove the rear cover and see if you spy any loose wires in there.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
ZoaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyman65
Make sure all connections are soldered correctly, especially the ground/earth wire, and make sure the pickup and control cavities are shielded with either foil/copper tape or conductive paint. Most guitar companies seem to leave this step out of the building process, even high-end builders like PRS. Most of the time you have to do it yourself.

Hey, i just took a picture of the Cavity + The backplate... Does'nt look very shielded if you ask me ? :S

http://i.imgur.com/hML1h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n5Ryl.jpg

How can i tell if the guitar has conductive paint, without having a special tool? :P

Last edited by ZoaL : 09-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
take it back to the store and get it fixed or get a new one.

Are you serious? It's a damn 5 second solder job. Reattach the ground. Done.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
ZoaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Are you serious? It's a damn 5 second solder job. Reattach the ground. Done.

How can you be so sure that it's a grounding issue? I tried to check around the guitar couldn't find any loose ends? :S
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Because there's literally nothing else it could be?

Just because there aren't any blatantly loose wires doesn't mean that all of the connections are solid. There could easily be a cold solder joint somewhere.

This usually doesn't have to be done with Korean guitars, but eh... sometimes things slip through QC. Or, even more probably, maybe something came loose in shipping. But, a general rule of thumb on every cheaper guitar is that you should resolder all of the connections yourself. Especially on Indonesian and Chinese stuff, they are just kind of notorious for having terrible solder jobs.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Hey, i just took a picture of the Cavity + The backplate... Does'nt look very shielded if you ask me ? :S

http://i.imgur.com/hML1h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n5Ryl.jpg

How can i tell if the guitar has conductive paint, without having a special tool? :P

The only way to know without seeing it is using the probes on a multimeter. Set it to measure DC resistance and touch the two probes to the shield. if you get a reading, it's conductive. If you don't it's not.

Looking at those pictures, the back plate and cavity ARE NOT shielded. Conductive paint is usually a black/grey color, and copper of foil shielding is, well, copper or aluminum foil.

This guy's video explains how shielding works, and how to test if you are shielded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4oh...&feature=g-hist

This video shows you how to do it. It's a really easy mod to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huc6...feature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
hectitor666

Hey, Did You Fix Your Problem? I Have The Same Problem With A Custom Tremonti, Im So Far Away From The Store, How Do You Fix It?
hectitor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
ZoaL

I sent the guitar back to the store where i bought it, and they stated the problem was mine... and it didn't make any noise at their place. So i got it back and i was pretty annoyed.

I raged for a while and finally i got the nerve to take it to a local guitar repair guy, he said he would shield the entire guitar with copperfoil.

He also told me that the reason the guitar makes a lot of noise, is because i live in Denmark... And we have bad standards for ground in our plugs around the house. So this will give a lot of noise problems that don't happen in other countries! And shielding the guitar will most likely make most of the noise disappear... but not ALL of it

Now i just have to wait! Really hope this will fix my problem! =)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Robbgnarly

Quote:
I sent the guitar back to the store where i bought it, and they stated the problem was mine... and it didn't make any noise at their place. So i got it back and i was pretty annoyed.

I raged for a while and finally i got the nerve to take it to a local guitar repair guy, he said he would shield the entire guitar with copperfoil.

He also told me that the reason the guitar makes a lot of noise, is because i live in Denmark... And we have bad standards for ground in our plugs around the house. So this will give a lot of noise problems that don't happen in other countries! And shielding the guitar will most likely make most of the noise disappear... but not ALL of it

Now i just have to wait! Really hope this will fix my problem! =)

Get a a power conditioner it will help emencely with bad power issues. you can get them at most music stores
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
NickBech

Quote:
I just checked a youtube video about the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4oh...feature=related 1.20min and on he covers it pretty well :P Exactly what my guitar is doing atm XD!

I wish it was so simple :P Thing is i live in Denmark, can't buy PRS from anywhere but Germany so i had it shipped here -.-. And to return is isn't as simple as i would want it to be

Woodstock in Århus sell PRS, they could probably fix that with ease. Though any music store should be able to.

Rate This Thread: