Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: ?
I went to a state school and would not send my child to a private school. 69 42.07%
I went to a state school and would send my child to a private school. 45 27.44%
I went to a private school and would not send my child to a private school. 12 7.32%
I went to a private school and would send my child to a private school. 38 23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #41
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
So...students are "oppressed". Ok, then...

You know, Stewie, you usually make quite compelling arguments, and I was quite looking forward to your thoughts on this.

If I were to make an argument, it would merely be a condensed version of what Friere is saying in that chapter. Might as well read from the original source since the opportunity is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
My foxsuit seems to attract the chicks.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #42
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
I'm not reading any of that. Is this how people defend their opinions these days? Sending 3rd-party links?

Please remove your user title, it's rather misleading.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
So...students are "oppressed". Ok, then...

You know, Stewie, you usually make quite compelling arguments, and I was quite looking forward to your thoughts on this.

I'm disappoint, son...

I was always under the impression that 3rd party links were to be used to strengthen one's argument and provide more "mere opinion".

That I have no problem with, but you have to present some of personal insight first and THEN use the 3rd-party link to "strengthen" it. If you want people to actually care about what you have to say, you've to use your own words, it's also mutually-respective to do so.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
burghUK

I think there is something seriously wrong with the divide between public and state
schools. Often the kids won't generally perform any better than a state schooled child,
but because of certain connections or influence these schools have then the children
more than not end up in better universities and then once you write "eton" on a CV , better jobs.

For a prime example , look at the current british government.

The wealthy should not have a better chance of a good education or job just because they have money. It should be based entirely on the person.

Last edited by burghUK : 09-30-2012 at 01:59 PM.
burghUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #45
MakinLattes
fully retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
Please remove your user title, it's rather misleading.

That was great.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #46
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

I wouldn't send my kid to a private school. I already pay for public schools, why would I pay out my ass even more for a private school? They can make the best of the tools given to them.

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #47
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
These threads always end up the same. Public school plebs hatin'

Is this you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

More like
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #49
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
More like

You're the wee one, bottom left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #50
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover

All of the private schools around here are Christian. so because of that I would not send by kid to one. Unless there was one that was religiously neutral and had stats to back up the quality of their education, AND I could afford it, would I even think of sending my kid to a private school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
muffinduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #51
Ed Hunter
Cod Metal King

Didn't go to one, wouldn't send my children to one. Fair enough you might get better teachers, a nicer environment and an overall better education and life from it. However, at state schools you have to deal with people from all walks of life which helps massively when you finish your education and get into the real world. If the child is naturally bright they can excel at any school and I'm quite sure that there are some better teachers at state schools than at private schools who have a natural sense of wanting to do the best for the kids they teach. In short, I reckon private, fee paying schools don't actually provide as well rounded an education regarding life in general as well as academia as state schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.

Last edited by Ed Hunter : 09-30-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Ed Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #52
Lagunaguitar
UG's Best HS Debater

I happen to live in an area where education is highly valued and where the schools are excellent (I'm 16 in the U.S.) However if public schools weren't that great, I would definitely consider sending my child in the future to a private school
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Lagunaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
You're the wee one, bottom left?

Yes and as you can see, I've been a go-getter from a very early age.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #54
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

I didn't read the, "And you knew they would get a better education from it," part. Any half decent hypothetical parent would want to give their child the best education possible. But you don't learn very much in highschool anyway. I'm about to graduate from a private school and my kids will almost certainly go to a public school because it sucks here.

-_‽GOOZE.‽_-
SaintsofNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #55
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist

I'm in college right now and have friends who went to private school. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it just seems like they don't understand how the world works. They've only been in contact with rich, white people from the suburbs. The advantage of public schools is the diversity of the student body. I met kids from all different walks of life, that were very different from me. There was usually controversial topics happening in students' lives and this allowed us to experience the world very differently than kids from private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
purplexing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #56
Philip_pepper
UG's Last German.

I went to a private school until I was 10. My parents felt it was a complete waste of money and today I can honestly say I felt no benefit from it.

Furthermore...

I know a girl who goes to my course who went to private school and she told me she got an A in History class, but she doesn't know who Hitler is.

Yeah. She saw an old picture of a guy with a moustache and said that was Hitler. She was not trying to be funny. She was dead serious.

So yeah. Private schools. Not even once.

EDIT: If I really did want to put my kids somewhere "highly academically to improve their outlooks for the future" I'd go for an IB school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.

Last edited by Philip_pepper : 09-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #57
Stugg334
Bristolian

It just happens to be that there's a load of damn good state schools in my area, and it's a bit of a trek to the nearest public schools. So yeah, I'm glad I didn't go private, I don't really feel like I could have turned out much better. I don't mean that in a "I bossed school" way, but my grades were pretty high, I think I reached my potential, and I met a lot of friends from different backgrounds. And my school wasn't all boys, which is obviously a massive plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #58
CrossBack7
bada-bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
But do they really?

Depends on the public school system in your area, but in many, yes, they do. In others, not so much. It just depends. I went to a private school because the public schools in my area sucked. Despite that, I know plenty of people who did just fine at public schools. But private schools definitely don't put up with as much shit. Public school teachers are limited in how they can discipline their students, not so much as private schools.

My high school worked very hard to help its students excel, and I doubt I'd be where I am today without going there.

I'd send my kid to either a public or private school, it just depends on the area.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #59
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexing
I'm in college right now and have friends who went to private school. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it just seems like they don't understand how the world works. They've only been in contact with rich, white people from the suburbs. The advantage of public schools is the diversity of the student body. I met kids from all different walks of life, that were very different from me. There was usually controversial topics happening in students' lives and this allowed us to experience the world very differently than kids from private schools.

Depending on where they're from, they could've been surrounded by rich white people even if they'd gone to public school anyway.

On the flip side, my private school in NYC was fairly diverse.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #60
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
That I have no problem with, but you have to present some of personal insight first and THEN use the 3rd-party link to "strengthen" it. If you want people to actually care about what you have to say, you've to use your own words, it's also mutually-respective to do so.

That's what I was getting at.

Anyway, I'm all for private education, provided public education isn't as good. Even if I have to work 2-3 jobs to get my (future) kids a good education, I will.

That said, I do think there's incredible room for improvement in the education in general in the US. We're certainly not up to snuff with many other developed nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I went to a private school until I was 10. My parents felt it was a complete waste of money and today I can honestly say I felt no benefit from it.

Furthermore...

I know a girl who goes to my course who went to private school and she told me she got an A in History class, but she doesn't know who Hitler is.

Yeah. She saw an old picture of a guy with a moustache and said that was Hitler. She was not trying to be funny. She was dead serious.

So yeah. Private schools. Not even once.

>assuming all private schools are like yours or this girl's

Most private schools pride themselves on academic excellence. Obviously, yours and this girl's merely paid lip service to that principle. However, most pay way more than lip service.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-30-2012 at 02:36 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: