Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: ?
I went to a state school and would not send my child to a private school. 69 42.07%
I went to a state school and would send my child to a private school. 45 27.44%
I went to a private school and would not send my child to a private school. 12 7.32%
I went to a private school and would send my child to a private school. 38 23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #61
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Depending on where they're from, they could've been surrounded by rich white people even if they'd gone to public school anyway.

On the flip side, my private school in NYC was fairly diverse.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Public doesn't automatically mean diverse. The nearest public school to me is like 90% white or some shit.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
Yea, that's what I was thinking. Public doesn't automatically mean diverse. The nearest public school to me is like 90% white or some shit.

Basically describes my town's high school.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #63
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

The school doesn't make them brats, the parenting does

Honestly those who wouldn't consider even if it meant a better education for their child are ******s, plain and simple. Saying that you know some kids that thought they were 'the shit' come out of private schools as your justification for not putting your potential children into one of those schools shows that you're not ready to even begin pondering about children in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

If I had money and the public school near where we live is shitty, then I might send them to private school. If I sent my kid to a private school and he's ****ing up, he's wasting my money.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #65
Ed Hunter
Cod Metal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Basically describes my town's high school.

Ethnicity =/= diversity. There was only about 5 black kids at my school. What diversity can mean, as in the point I was making, is the diversity of people from different walks of life in terms of social standing, wealth, intelligence and family background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Ed Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #66
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I went to a private school until I was 10. My parents felt it was a complete waste of money and today I can honestly say I felt no benefit from it.

Furthermore...

I know a girl who goes to my course who went to private school and she told me she got an A in History class, but she doesn't know who Hitler is.

Yeah. She saw an old picture of a guy with a moustache and said that was Hitler. She was not trying to be funny. She was dead serious.

So yeah. Private schools. Not even once.

EDIT: If I really did want to put my kids somewhere "highly academically to improve their outlooks for the future" I'd go for an IB school.

Let me summarize your post for you. Just to make sure I'm getting the gist of it.

I met a dumb girl who went to one specific private school and got an A in a subject she knew nothing about
Having full faith in her, knowing that she wasn't lying, I now know that all private schools teach no one anything, are vastly inferior on the whole to public schools, and are generally a joke and menace to society

Nah they're not that bad. I'm sure there are some shitty ones... but I can guarantee you there are thousands more shitty public schools.

I don't understand why I go to one though. The public schools in my area are really nice...

-_‽GOOZE.‽_-
SaintsofNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #67
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

I went to one of the top public school systems in the country, so if my kid attended that, there'd be no need for private schooling.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #68
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hunter
Ethnicity =/= diversity. There was only about 5 black kids at my school. What diversity can mean, as in the point I was making, is the diversity of people from different walks of life in terms of social standing, wealth, intelligence and family background.

Still doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. There are dozens of public schools fairly close to me. I guarantee almost all kids came from the same social background at the one closest school to me. Almost all white middle/upper middle class

If anything the one private school I almost went to was way more diverse since it accepted kids from all over the country and many students from different countries.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #69
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

Exactly, in depends on your zoning... maybe if you happen to live in a 20 mile melting pot of culture, your public school is like that. But if the area all around is the same socio-economic level then NOPE all the same.

-_‽GOOZE.‽_-
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #70
Stugg334
Bristolian

Yeah, it's true. I live in rural Gloucestershire, in a big state school about 1600 pupils, and there's probably 4 black kids and about 10 asians? It's less diverse ethnically than many private schools, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #71
Ed Hunter
Cod Metal King

Quote:
Still doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. There are dozens of public schools fairly close to me. I guarantee almost all kids came from the same social background at the one closest school to me. Almost all white middle/upper middle class

If anything the one private school I almost went to was way more diverse since it accepted kids from all over the country and many students from different countries.

I guess I just live in a country where the wealthy and the not so wealthy aren't as heavily segregated. I went to school with people from millionaire families and people from families who had never worked a day in their life. People living cheek by jowl innit bruva.

Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #72
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hunter
I guess I just live in a country where the wealthy and the not so wealthy aren't as heavily segregated. I went to school with people from millionaire families and people from families who had never worked a day in their life. People living cheek by jowl innit bruva.

Oh yea. I mean, I'm sure there are tons of diverse schools around if you go closer to the city and stuff where there are way more people. I'm just saying that it's not like that at absolutely every school
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #73
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Oh yea. I mean, I'm sure there are tons of diverse schools around if you go closer to the city and stuff where there are way more people. I'm just saying that it's not like that at absolutely every school

It tends to be the suburban or rural schools that aren't diverse. Although, there are certain areas of most cities that don't have diverse schools either. For instance, the schools in North Minneapolis (an area within a hour's drive of me) are filled with 90% poor people.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #74
anvil is god
can't do enough

lol @ people with one bad private school experience and think all are bad
lol @ public school plebs who think all private schools are bad
Do your research before going to school. There are good private and public schools, as well as bad schools. Also, behavior is largely dependent on parenting, not the school.

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #75
Thrashtastic15
anonymoose xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry
I went to a private school for a few years.

I guess it depends on how my kid is. If he/she is a brat like I was, private school will shape him/her up. If he/she is highly intelligent and I feel that they aren't getting the most out of his/her current school, then I will send him/her to a private school. If he/she falls in between these two, then I won't because it's expensive as hell and if he/she is doing alright in a normal school then why bother?

You're Canadian...private schools are kind of a waste of time here.

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
9 - 8 - 2
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #76
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
lol @ people with one bad private school experience and think all are bad
lol @ public school plebs who think all private schools are bad
Do your research before going to school. There are good private and public schools, as well as bad schools. Also, behavior is largely dependent on parenting, not the school.

Meep

-_‽GOOZE.‽_-
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #77
Ed Hunter
Cod Metal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
It tends to be the suburban or rural schools that aren't diverse. Although, there are certain areas of most cities that don't have diverse schools either. For instance, the schools in North Minneapolis (an area within a hour's drive of me) are filled with 90% poor people.

American standards don't equate to world standards, son.

Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #78
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
No; I have no fixed objection to their existing in parallel with state-funded schools; and if the only state-funded schools available were rubbish, then yes.

This. The opportunities and facilities offered at some schools are incredible, if I could comfortably afford it and the local schools were not good schools then I would seriously consider paying for my child to attend a privately funded school.

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #79
ChrisBW

Having gone to a terrible public high school and now at university feeling behind compared to many people I know most who went to better public schools I'd say it depends on the situation. If the choice was the school I went to or a private school, I'd probably go with private school. I'm just as smart as most people, but they have a major leg up on me as far as credits they already earned during high school. I had the opportunity to get like...6 credits in high school and I know people who are graduating college at 20/21 taking a regular class load. Not that I would have wanted to graduate that quickly, but it just shows the huge disparity between public schools.

In the end, I'd rather find a good public school.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #80
digman50
Just Juice It

I go to a private school and so will my kids.

In my opinion there isn't any comparison between the two.

It's like comparing Oxford Uni to a polytechnic, it's a laughable proposition

Relegation 2K15 Motherf**kers

digman50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: