Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: ?
I went to a state school and would not send my child to a private school. 69 42.07%
I went to a state school and would send my child to a private school. 45 27.44%
I went to a private school and would not send my child to a private school. 12 7.32%
I went to a private school and would send my child to a private school. 38 23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #81
raoooos

Got nothing against the existence of private schools, and I would never rule out sending my kids to one, but what you get out of school depends on what you put into it, regardless of whether you go to a private or state school. I went to a pretty awful state school and did fine because I worked hard.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #82
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman50
It's like comparing Oxford Uni to a polytechnic, it's a laughable proposition

That's a rather arrogant and ignorant assumption.

Unless, if by private school, you mean schools like this, in which case you're a rich elitist.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #83
digman50
Just Juice It

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

Unless, if by private school, you mean schools like this, in which case you're a rich elitist.

My school's similar to that, if not nicer....

Relegation 2K15 Motherf**kers

digman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #84
WCPhils
Banned

Quote:

Brah, I got you beat. Bill Cosby's son went here

That is where I got accepted to but couldn't go because of what I said earlier.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #85
digman50
Just Juice It

My school's older than America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromsgrove_School

Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #86
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
My school's similar to that, if not nicer....

Rich, elitist douche!

(Not like I can talk much, but at least I didn't compare private schools to fucking Oxford. You ignorant jerkface! )

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #87
digman50
Just Juice It

Quote:
Rich, elitist douche!

(Not like I can talk much, but at least I didn't compare private schools to fucking Oxford. You ignorant jerkface! )

I compared shite polytechnic universities to Oxford University.

I was saying that it was a similar comparison from state schools in my area to the school I go to.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #88
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Both Pates (a grammar school) and Dean Close (a private school) are very local to me. Guess which consistently scores higher academically? Yep, it's the former.

Merit based education works far better than money based education. It is only occasionally one is both moneyed and academically meritorious.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #89
digman50
Just Juice It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
Both Pates (a grammar school) and Dean Close (a private school) are very local to me. Guess which consistently scores higher academically? Yep, it's the former.

Merit based education works far better than money based education. It is only occasionally one is both moneyed and academically meritorious.

Dean Close isn't a very good private school...

Again, you only get out what you put in really.

All the money in the world isn't going to help if you don't do any work

Last edited by digman50 : 09-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #90
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:
That's what I was getting at.

Anyway, I'm all for private education, provided public education isn't as good. Even if I have to work 2-3 jobs to get my (future) kids a good education, I will.

That said, I do think there's incredible room for improvement in the education in general in the US. We're certainly not up to snuff with many other developed nations.

>assuming all private schools are like yours or this girl's

Most private schools pride themselves on academic excellence. Obviously, yours and this girl's merely paid lip service to that principle. However, most pay way more than lip service.

Could be. But from what I've seen from Private School taught students here in the UK, I'm keeping my kids well away from private schools.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #91
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
I compared shite polytechnic universities to Oxford University.

I was saying that it was a similar comparison from state schools in my area to the school I go to.

Which doesn't change the fact that your comparison is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
Could be. But from what I've seen from Private School taught students here in the UK, I'm keeping my kids well away from private schools.

You and Digman should get together. You can argue about private schools, sharing your divergent experiences in the process. Hopefully, no one will have to call the cops.

The point is, assuming private schools are A) infinitely better is ignorant OR B) infinitely worse is ignorant. Personal experiences are shit, as far as proving whether a private school is better or worse than a public school.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 09-30-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #92
Stugg334
Bristolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain

I live near-ish Pates. We get compared to it sometimes. Just lettin' ya'll know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #93
due 07
haaan

I'd probably definitely not send my kid to a private school.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #94
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

I go to a state school and I wouldn't send my kids to a private school.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #95
Saint78
julian wells

I went to a private school for 7 years. It was extremely fascist and corrupt. That makes me sound stupid, but it was. Any form of originality or creativity was crushed immediately. Propaganda was constantly spewed at the students. All of the faculty was related, so you couldn't inform a teacher's superiors of said teacher's shitty-ness. It was basically a totalitarian state. ****ing hated it.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #96
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

If I could afford it, and it was good, I would....

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #97
burghUK

I really don't think private schools should exist. The amount of money your parents have should not affect the quality of your education. In a perfect world the state would ensure equality throughout. All you end up with is private schools breeding conservative MP's with no idea how the real world works. See current british government for a fine example.

Look at it this way.(and this happens).

Child goes to (insert famous private school) Eton. Through attending Eton he makes alot of contacts which from he will more than likely end up in a "top rate" university like oxford or cambridge and will be favoured over those coming from state schools. Once he leaves university he applies for jobs ( or more than likely goes into politics like he has bee brainwashed to do) and gets accepted based purely on his education.

Is that really fair? That coming from wealthy backgrounds means you are more likely to rise to high paid jobs and be favoured over those who were state educated.

Last edited by burghUK : 09-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
burghUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #98
stevetamer
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
I went to private school, and I'd send my kid to private school too. .

Words of wisdom, Same here
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #99
matsif
gone fishin'

where I grew up there are no private schools that are not run by a church/religious society, and as I don't plan to force religion on my children when the time comes I would not send them to a private school run by said institutions. In my view religion is something that needs to be discovered by the individual, and not forced upon someone (as it was on me).

given the case of a private school not run by a church, I would think about it. Would really depend on the reputation of the public schools wherever I would be living. If the education and ability to get into a better college was that high, I might send my kids there, but if the cost was outrageous or there wasn't a huge difference in test scores or something coming out of the private school, I wouldn't do it.

There is also a social aspect of public schools that many who went to private schools don't realize exists because of the "upper class bubble" they grew up in. I went to a high school where I graduated with 650 people, from superbly rich to poverty level, of all races, and it teaches you life lessons that you wouldn't learn in, say, a private school where only boys are allowed and 95% of them are from the upper class.

finally, to teach in a public school, you are constantly evaluated at much higher standards (at least in my area) than the private schools are. Since the private schools don't have to follow state regulations on teachers, at least in my area the private school teachers are much less qualified (with college degrees or whatever) to actually teach a class than the public school teachers. In my high school I had 8 teachers who had doctorates in their respective fields (mainly math and science), whereas the major local private school had mainly bachelor degree teachers.

Last edited by matsif : 09-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
matsif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #100
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

I went to private school through high school. I don't think I can confidently say that I received a better education compared to my local public school, but then again it is a decent public school. I did receive a quality education, it put me at a good start in college, and I was not "sheltered from the real world" like some people suggest.

My overall stance would probably be: lower-quality public school = private school is worth it
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: