Originally Posted by JustRooster
Banjos are always relevant.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #62
entity0009
UG's Null.

Nothing wrong with odd time signatures. Sure, they can be used as a gimmick, but if a riff calls for something that isn't 3/4 or 4/4, why discard it? When I come up with riffs in odd time signatures, I don't sit down and think "right, I'mma come up with this riff which switches between 5/4 and 13/8 every 3 bars, it's gonna sound sick", I just play a riff and sometimes it ends up not being a "standard" time signature.

And to contribute to the thread- forced "American" accents in -core bands and the occasional indie band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMuse
I'm also sick of these "folk" and "bluegrass" types infiltrating indie rock who refuse to use any electric instruments or proper percussion because "tradition" or something. BANJO IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE CRESCENDO INSTRUMENT; here's an electric guitar plugged into a Marshall, try that instead, FFS. Also get a drummer! I know they're usually window-licking mad, but that's part of the fun! >

Yeah, God forbid someone try and bring some variety into indie rock
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #63
morallygray
Got them nerves of steel

I think the half talking/half singing thing that artists like Kesha do is annoying. Its really not even attractive. Also when a person's accent is too prominent in their singing, like the band Los Campesinos. Really cool music, but the vocals...

I really wouldnt consider time signatures a 'gimmick' though. They are a fundamental part of music. There are bands that probably overuse the switching between them, but its usually pretty cool if its done well.
morallygray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #64
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Further proof. Notice how this jazz musician uses many things in the wrong way, but it ends up sound alright anyway.

This guy gets it.

Xiaoxi should watch this
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #65
fuzzpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by goest
Nah, Dillinger's better.

That bassist is going to ****ing kill someone, though. That's pretty rad.

And that was just a small show in a record store where I'm assuming they were trying to be pretty careful. I saw them at a festival inside an old high school where they played in what I assume used to be the cafeteria. They were going insane there. One of the guitar players climbed onto a stack of speakers and the bass player threw his bass out into the crowd. I think he then crowd surfed to the guy who caught it and then continued playing as he was carried back to the stage, I'm not 100% sure though because the show was so crazy that I'm having trouble remembering specific details.
fuzzpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #66
morallygray
Got them nerves of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMuse
BANJO IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE CRESCENDO INSTRUMENT; here's an electric guitar plugged into a Marshall, try that instead, FFS.

Try this
morallygray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #67
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Xiaoxi should watch this

0:50-2:05 eloquently encapsulates the essence of classical music, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #68
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

Quote:
They put on the best live show of anyone ever. Your opinion is wrong.

It was just bad. Plain ol' bad. Guitars swinging around, jumping off amps and posing mid-air. If they spent half the time focusing on their instruments rather than trying to look hardcore, they might not sound so bad.

It just oozed 'gimmick'.

the muffin!
sebastian_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #69
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_96
It was just bad. Plain ol' bad. Guitars swinging around, jumping off amps and posing mid-air. If they spent half the time focusing on their instruments rather than trying to look hardcore, they might not sound so bad.

It just oozed 'gimmick'.

Gimmicks aren't inherently bad. Also doing what they do is only gimmicky if your frame of reference is lamestream radio rock bands, it's actually pretty common.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #70
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

I think all the Warped Tour type bands are pretty gimmicky. There are a few who've played Warped Tour who have some originality, but mostly they all sound the same. Well, they could be put into two categories, pop rock bands (that sound like Relient K) and metal bands who are trying way to hard. I get a "People like this so we have to play like this so people will like us," impression from almost all of them.

And odd time signatures are only bad if they sound bad. Really you shouldn't be able to tell without thinking about it. Though 4/4 is reeeeeeaaaaaaaallllly overused in modern music. Its nice to change it up every now and again.

Oh, and I hate how with some screamo type bands, the whole song is really just one open D or C chord with some random notes over it every once in a while. One chord is not a chord progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #71
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
Gimmicks aren't inherently bad. Also doing what they do is only gimmicky if your frame of reference is lamestream radio rock bands, it's actually pretty common.

I've been to many live shows and festivals, I've just never seen a band carry on that way. I get the appeal, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't appeal to me. Its like they don't give a fuck about the music and just wanna jump around and be idiots. Cool, but not what I came to hear/see. Not my scene.

But I must listen to lamestream bands because I don't get it, right?

the muffin!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #72
goest
SJW

Quote:

It just oozed 'gimmick'.

...you realize they're playing pretty complex shit WHILE swinging guitars around, jumping off amps and generally going insane, right?

The only let down of any Dillinger show is Greg's vocals aren't really great live.

Y'all should check out my band Sybassion
goest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #73
entity0009
UG's Null.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
Oh, and I hate how with some screamo type bands, the whole song is really just one open D or C chord with some random notes over it every once in a while. One chord is not a chord progression.

I once opened for a band which had a song with 2 riffs. The intro/verse riff was chugging the same chord over and over. The chorus riff was chugging a chord one fret up, over and over. Oh, and they had a breakdown...chugging the root over and over. Not even kidding.

inb4 "dude, you opened for slipknot?"
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #74
due 07
haaan

Quote:
I've been to many live shows and festivals, I've just never seen a band carry on that way. I get the appeal, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't appeal to me. Its like they don't give a fuck about the music and just wanna jump around and be idiots. Cool, but not what I came to hear/see. Not my scene.

But I must listen to lamestream bands because I don't get it, right?

ya

i don't even like dep ftr
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #75
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
I once opened for a band which had a song with 2 riffs. The intro/verse riff was chugging the same chord over and over. The chorus riff was chugging a chord one fret up, over and over. Oh, and they had a breakdown...chugging the root over and over. Not even kidding.

inb4 "dude, you opened for slipknot?"

You didn't mention someone beating up trash cans with a baseball bat.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #76
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

Actually, got another one. When I went to see Tool on their 10,000 Days tour, although it was an awesome show it was kind of obnoxious how Maynard faced away from the crowd towards a blank wall the whole time. I can understand if it's for nerves or something, but I don't know if it's for that reason or if it's a gimmick thing.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #77
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Further proof. Notice how this jazz musician uses many things in the wrong way, but it ends up sound alright anyway.

This guy gets it.

I'm going to sig this video, and then maybe we can bring peace to Ultimate Guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #78
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

Quote:
...you realize they're playing pretty complex shit WHILE swinging guitars around, jumping off amps and generally going insane, right?

The only let down of any Dillinger show is Greg's vocals aren't really great live.

I'll give you that, plus the fact they were an opener so the mix was terrible. But I don't share your enthusiasm for their stage presence. Give me a shy Layne Staley hiding behind his shades anyday.

To me, it just seemed a hardcore gimmick. But, it may just be because I don't 'get' hardcore.

the muffin!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #79
goest
SJW

Quote:
I'll give you that, plus the fact they were an opener so the mix was terrible. But I don't share your enthusiasm for their stage presence. Give me a shy Layne Staley hiding behind his shades anyday.

To me, it just seemed a hardcore gimmick. But, it may just be because I don't 'get' hardcore.

Their mix is always terrible because they never get a sound guy who knows what's about to happen.

Y'all should check out my band Sybassion
goest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #80
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:

Either they make a lot of mistakes, or they're tone deaf 'playing with passion'.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: