Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

Singing Critique

Just another 'help me get better at singing thread' I had one lesson with a vocal teacher I can't say how much it helped, at least I'm not singing in falsetto anymore?
I would really like to be a passable singer that people would like to listen to and would love any help to get me there. If you could tell me what's good and what's bad it'd be much appreciated.

Song

I'm running through this thread right now critiquing people's singing the best that I can.
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Tyson2011

after you leave your little raspy thing you did at the beginning, you get pretty pitchy in places. I think in your higher range, you're trying to muscle through notes. Its a huge misconception that higher notes take more work to hit, you have to back off and relax to hit them effectively.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson2011
after you leave your little raspy thing you did at the beginning, you get pretty pitchy in places. I think in your higher range, you're trying to muscle through notes. Its a huge misconception that higher notes take more work to hit, you have to back off and relax to hit them effectively.

I was just going to message you and ask for help after reading your other comment on a thread.

I guess I wanted the higher parts to have a sense of dynamics to them, like be louder and more pronounced. But I have taken everything you've into mind and will re-record the vocals tomorrow and work on those issues specifically.

What suggestions to you have to work on being less pitchy? Do the lower parts sound ok/how can they be improved? In your opinion does it seem like with a little work I'd be able to sing those higher parts or that I am trying to sing too high?
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Yeah, you're clearly only comfortable in the early raspy bit.

This is all fundamentals - ear training, breathing work, articulation. The kind of stuff that's not easy to learn via internet post but that a teacher can help you with.

Why'd you stop after one lesson?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Tyson2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chavie
I was just going to message you and ask for help after reading your other comment on a thread.

I guess I wanted the higher parts to have a sense of dynamics to them, like be louder and more pronounced. But I have taken everything you've into mind and will re-record the vocals tomorrow and work on those issues specifically.

What suggestions to you have to work on being less pitchy? Do the lower parts sound ok/how can they be improved? In your opinion does it seem like with a little work I'd be able to sing those higher parts or that I am trying to sing too high?

take to a piano and start with your major scales (if you're playing in the key of C major, all the white keys from C to C), this is your standard do-re-me-fa-sol-la-ti-do. Sorry if that sounds really blunt, I'm not going to assume how much or how little musical training you've had

after you're comfortable with that, start working on intervals themselves, do-mi do-fa, do-sol, etc etc

after you feel fairly competent at this, you can start adding in minor intervals do-me, so-fi, etc etc, then once you get good at these start sight singing, just pick up a piece of music, play the tonic (do), and sing through the piece, hitting a note or two as you go along to see how close you are. This will develop your ear to make you hear things better.
-----
being able to sing loud and forcing things are completely different. You HAVE to relax in order to sing without straining, and volume/vibrato will come with proper technique. It's hard to judge this without a teacher, because when you're singing correctly you're not hearing yourself as well as you can when you sing incorrectly because you're projecting your sound more outward, a teacher definitely helps to get their input.
-----
The fact you can hit the high notes strained tells me you can hit them with less strain if you work for it, I'm not entirely sure what your vocal range is because I haven't listened to these since last night, so I won't comment as to whether or not the tessitura is too high for you.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I'm only a voice student, and so my word isn't law, so take everything with a grain of salt.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: